It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 30
WorkingDad HB User
EMG negative!

This is a good thing...right?

After reading about so many neuromuscular & autoimmune disorders on how negative test doesn't always mean a 'positive' diagnosis, I'm wondering if this is a good news or not.

Cleveland Clinic is amazing, I took my emg test and received the results all in the same day!

So, my real question is...what kind of questions do I ask the neurologist when I see her? Or, do I settle with what's been offered to me?

Last week I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, by my rheumatologist and began medication immediately, as well as beginning aquatic therapy in a few days. I have seen a little difference at times, but nothing amazing yet.

I need feedback on this one team!

 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Posts: 186
Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: EMG negative!

Hi Working Dad - As I mentioned before and sorry to say, with a negative EMG you could still have small fiber neuropathy (SFN), and based on your symptoms, I would definitely discuss this possibility with your neurologist. As a person with SFN myself, I have thought that your symptoms sounded more like SFN than anything else (and didn't sound like fibromyalgia from the little that I know). Actually about the best article I've found about SFN is by Dr. Lan Zhou of the Cleveland Clinic. You can find it by googling "small fiber neuropathy cleveland clinic." The upside of SFN as opposed to other neuropathies is that often your muscle strength and muscle coordination aren't affected. If you do have SFN, it is not the end of the world. Three years into SFN, I am still the same active, happy person I've always been. It was the period of getting diagnosed and adjusting to the reality that was the difficult part, and it was people on this board that helped me the most with that. Best to you, Ruby

Last edited by Ruby8; 07-18-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: addition

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 386
RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: EMG negative!

I also don't know much about Fibro...BUT totally agree w/Ruby.
J

 
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 30
WorkingDad HB User
Re: EMG negative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby8 View Post
Hi Working Dad - As I mentioned before and sorry to say, with a negative EMG you could still have small fiber neuropathy (SFN), and based on your symptoms, I would definitely discuss this possibility with your neurologist. As a person with SFN myself, I have thought that your symptoms sounded more like SFN than anything else (and didn't sound like fibromyalgia from the little that I know). Actually about the best article I've found about SFN is by Dr. Lan Zhou of the Cleveland Clinic. You can find it by googling "small fiber neuropathy cleveland clinic." The upside of SFN as opposed to other neuropathies is that often your muscle strength and muscle coordination aren't affected. If you do have SFN, it is not the end of the world. Three years into SFN, I am still the same active, happy person I've always been. It was the period of getting diagnosed and adjusting to the reality that was the difficult part, and it was people on this board that helped me the most with that. Best to you, Ruby

Thanks again Ruby! I am reading the article you referenced above. And I am planning on speaking to my neurologist on SFN.

 
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 30
WorkingDad HB User
Re: EMG negative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingParrot View Post
I also don't know much about Fibro...BUT totally agree w/Ruby.
J
Thanks

Last edited by WorkingDad; 07-20-2011 at 05:27 PM.

 
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 386
RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: EMG negative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingDad View Post
Thanks again Ruby! I am reading the article you referenced above. And I am planning on speaking to my neurologist on SFN.
It is good that you are on top of this....I try to always(usually K to be honest)have some questions when I visit.
J

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Neuropathy perhaps? WorkingDad Neuropathy 9 07-20-2011 08:39 AM
negative emg and ncv with muscle wasting gpain Neuropathy 3 06-08-2010 07:18 PM
Small Fiber Neuropathy#2 will54 Neuropathy 110 05-10-2010 11:07 AM
MRI help Sacral question - sitting pain tbone77 Neuropathy 0 01-04-2008 04:27 PM
Severe Pain All Test Results Negative SJFerggy25 Neuropathy 4 11-16-2007 07:56 AM

Tags
autoimmune, emg, fibromyalgia, neuromuscular, rheumatologist



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



tingles (48), Aussie100 (34), RisingParrot (34), daisymaegrl (33), Ruby8 (27), captinsane1 (25), June89 (22), LasVegasgirl (10), awlright (10), jverive (9)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1177), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!