It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

thebishop77 HB User
HELP...need info!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2003.The past 2 years I have had severe muscle cramps and spasms in both my feet,toes and calves.When I try to walk more than a block my calves begin to burn with pain.My lower legs also swell up from time to time.I do have Neuropathy but my doctor says this is not common.

I've been tested at Mayo clinic and there is no problem with circulation.3 months ago my doctor told me my kidneys are starting to fail.I do take Cymbalta and does nothing for my pain.It mostly bothers me a night when I try and relax and try to sleep.

does anyone else here have these symptoms? Is there anything I can do? I have tried everything I can think of and no relief.I soak my legs,asprin,rapping legs,ben-gay,elevate feet...nothing helps.

I use to walk 5 miles at sunrise and 5 miles at sunset...I am so frustrated that now I can't walk a block.

Please help with any information you can...all the doctors i've seen are no help and don't seem to care.

Thank You.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User
Re: HELP...need info!

Hello bishop!
So sorry to hear that you are suffering so much! I have exactly the same symptoms you have, and have had them for over 6 years now. I am pre-diabetic and diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. However the neuro feels my SFN is autoimmune and related to my rheumatoid arthritis.
I have endured 2 EMGs, vitamin B12 shots and countless medications in an attempt to find something to control the endless burning, stabbing pain associated with neuropathy.
I have done all of the home treatments that you have with roughly the same success as you! I also went to acupuncture for almost 8 months and it did help, but only to a point and then it quit helping.
Getting a diagnosis can be extremely frustrating. I am sure you are keeping a tight control on your sugars!
I went thru the gamut of medications until I exhausted almost every avenue. I am now on an opiate to help with the constant pain, a muscle relaxant for the spasms, and a small dose of chlonazepam at night for the constant pain that wakes me up. Nothing is the answer really for me. Mine is worse at night too.
I am so sorry you are feeling like you do. It is a real loss when your mobility is compromised!
I am so sorry I don't have more words of encouragement to give you. My neuro flat out told me mine will get worse- and it has! But that doesn't mean yours will! I hope you can come across a treatment that will help you. Don't give up looking!
Be kind to yourself and if possible, get a massage. I find that really helps me.
I hope others will have some helpful words for you!
Take care of yourself!
Best wishes, Daisy

The Following User Says Thank You to daisymaegrl For This Useful Post:
thebishop77 (07-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi ,it is not uncommon for type 2 diabetics to have a magnesium deficiency [ plus b12 deficiency if you take metformin] but the cramps can be a sign of very low magnesium, you could try soaking your feet in Epson salts as that is magnesium sulphate or/and buy some mag supplements, but don't get magnesium oxide it is crap but the rest are good.

Of course it could be the large nerve damage to the myleon sheath and/or axonal damage causing the muscles to go into spasms as well, but the above is worth a try.

best of luck to you
Aussie

The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
thebishop77 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
(male)

thebishop77 HB User

Thank you Daisy and Aussie...I'm a recovered opiate addict so the painkillers are not an option.I wouldn't mind trying Valium,but doc is worried that I would start abusing them.
I keep a close watch on my sugars and i've been tested and no problem with any deficiency.
I've just been getting very frustrated because nothing i've done on my own or through my doctor has helped.It also frustrates me when the doctors don't seem to understand how much this affects my daily life.I haven't had a decent night sleep in years.I've also gained about 20 lbs not being able to go for my walks.
Thank you for your replies...it's encouraging just knowing i'm not alone with this!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

What are you taking for your Neuropathy? Is that why you take Cymbalta?
Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? Maybe Lyrica(I'm dealing w/my own battle w/that) or Neurontin will help.

Hope you find some relief.
J

Closed Thread