It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User
Question working with neuropathy and having to quit

is there anyone who is currently working and have neuropathy? i want to know how you do it and if not working how long were you able to work before the neuropathy made yu quit.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: working with neuropathy and having to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa100 View Post
is there anyone who is currently working and have neuropathy? i want to know how you do it and if not working how long were you able to work before the neuropathy made yu quit.

IN!!!

I've had PN since around 07 and have worked a FT job before and still do. I Usually work 9hr days M-F w/the weekends off. I do take meds to try and make my workdays to a point that I am able to work and not always be in awful pain. I usually have my bad days and my REALLY bad days.. but just deal the best I can w/the hand I was dealt. My ankles are sometimes 2 to 3 times normal size when I get home and most of the time my legs are VERY tired. My hands drive me crazy since I type a lot and w/PN that isn't easy most of the time.

I realize that I'm lucky to be able to get out of bed in the morning let alone work FT since a lot can't. So.. w/that in mind I try to make the best out of it. I also know the odds are high that one day the PN will probably get to a point when I can't and will have to deal w/that the best I can.

BUT I try and stay positive and look at the bright side of things....the glass is half full....but as I said I have my bad days and am lucky to have a great support system to help me get through those days.

I hope you have a pain free day.
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingParrot View Post
IN!!!

I've had PN since around 07 and have worked a FT job before and still do. I Usually work 9hr days M-F w/the weekends off. I do take meds to try and make my workdays to a point that I am able to work and not always be in awful pain. I usually have my bad days and my REALLY bad days.. but just deal the best I can w/the hand I was dealt. My ankles are sometimes 2 to 3 times normal size when I get home and most of the time my legs are VERY tired. My hands drive me crazy since I type a lot and w/PN that isn't easy most of the time.

I realize that I'm lucky to be able to get out of bed in the morning let alone work FT since a lot can't. So.. w/that in mind I try to make the best out of it. I also know the odds are high that one day the PN will probably get to a point when I can't and will have to deal w/that the best I can.

BUT I try and stay positive and look at the bright side of things....the glass is half full....but as I said I have my bad days and am lucky to have a great support system to help me get through those days.

I hope you have a pain free day.
J

thanks that it great to hear because i read about so many people who had to stop working i feel a lot better knowing that there is still a chance i can keep working
always keeping strong
cocoa

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
thanks that it great to hear because i read about so many people who had to stop working i feel a lot better knowing that there is still a chance i can keep working
always keeping strong
cocoa
Heck yes you can.

I had 3 blood clots in 04-06...and PN around 07...didn't let it keep me down...some days aren't so fun but need to push through them...for me w/my PN it is important that I keep moving...notice on the weekends if I just sit around I get MUCH more stiff/sore. Lately I've been mad at myself for my weight gain....K and I got an exercise bike a while back...used it a bit then quit...3 weeks ago I decided to get off my butt and use it...so I started out w/doing a mile...NOW I know that isn't much to may people but for me that is a good amount..did that mile every day for a week...so last week moved up to 1.25miles all week....yesterday in the doctors office I found out I've lost 4lbs ..so got home and did 1.5miles and will for the week and see about moving up.

PN sucks...no doubt about it...but as I've said I try and not let it rule my life. I need to keep moving/getting out not only for me but K too. She didn't sign up for PN so need to make sure we try and enjoy life.

Try and stay positive and keep your head up.

Loved you saying "always keeping strong".

Hope you have a great Tuesday.
J

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

[QUOTE=RisingParrot;4846184]Heck yes you can.

I had 3 blood clots in 04-06...and PN around 07...didn't let it keep me down...some days aren't so fun but need to push through them...for me w/my PN it is important that I keep moving...notice on the weekends if I just sit around I get MUCH more stiff/sore.PN sucks...no doubt about it...but as I've said I try and not let it rule my life. I need to keep moving/getting out not only for me but K too. She didn't sign up for PN so need to make sure we try and enjoy life.

i know what you mean about sitting around on the weekend. i feel like i dont want to do any thing but i make my self to somthing like my housework it takes a little longer to get done but i do it and dont feel as stiff on monday when it time to go back to work. i have gain weight to iam currently doning phisical thereapy i hope this will help with the weicht i also walk a couple laps a day right now at 2 1/2 add another 1/2 lap every week or so.
thanks agian for lifting my sprits
and you too have a great tuesday and many more

cocoa100

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=cocoa100;4846197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingParrot View Post
i know what you mean about sitting around on the weekend. i feel like i dont want to do any thing but i make my self to somthing like my housework it takes a little longer to get done but i do it and dont feel as stiff on monday when it time to go back to work. i have gain weight to iam currently doning phisical thereapy i hope this will help with the weicht i also walk a couple laps a day right now at 2 1/2 add another 1/2 lap every week or so.
thanks agian for lifting my sprits
and you too have a great tuesday and many more

cocoa100
Like you I try to help Kath w/some housework...I'm kind of good w/laundry so try to help there...and sometimes I work on the bathroom sinks since no bending is involved(my balance is awful)...since I'm on blood thinners due to my FFL I have to watch myself around sharp things(Im a train wreck ) or risks of falling....one of the main reasons I use a shower chair is because I fell in the shower....

Sounds like you and I are on the same mission...i can use you for inspiration to keep up the biking...only takes a bit and the results will make us happy.

Glad you joined here and posted...nice to see you around...we aren't alone in the fight against PN and can do our best to NOT let it get us down.

Be safe and keep in touch.
J

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

hello its cocoa again
i was wondering what do you do when your ankles are twice there sizes because mine are the same way at times? also what meds are you taking i take125mg of nortiptyline for the burning which helps some of the times hydrocodone 7.5-325 mg 3 times a day for the pain and the pain doctor just added oxymorphond 10 mg for pain last week 2 times a day.
today started of a little painful but once i got to work and tokk my mine off it its not to bad.

have a painless and blessing day and keep giong strong
cocoa

Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

I had the same problem with ankles twice their size--probably from the Gabapentin. So, my doctor prescribed a 2nd diuretic for the edema (I was already taking the diuretic Triamterene, even pre-SFN, to control mild high blood pressure). Adding the 2nd diuretic worked like a charm, and I was so happy to have relatively normal ankles and feet again. I took both diurectics for about a year, and then my blood pressure seemed to be too low, so I cut out the 2nd diurectic to see what would happen. Well, the balloon ankles didn't return, thank goodness, even though I'm still on the same dose of Gabapentin. I think because I've been on the same dose of Gabapentin for so long that my body has adjusted and is more tolerant of it. Hope this helps. - Ruby

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
hello its cocoa again
i was wondering what do you do when your ankles are twice there sizes because mine are the same way at times? also what meds are you taking i take125mg of nortiptyline for the burning which helps some of the times hydrocodone 7.5-325 mg 3 times a day for the pain and the pain doctor just added oxymorphond 10 mg for pain last week 2 times a day.
today started of a little painful but once i got to work and tokk my mine off it its not to bad.

have a painless and blessing day and keep giong strong
cocoa
Strangely Over the past 2-3months the swelling isn't anywhere close to where it was....now days I'm only maybe 50% as bad as I used to be....I do have some days that are worse but that usually happens on days when I'm on my feet more then usual ie working then going out. I've also noticed bar stools are NOT my friend...the pain and swelling is always worse after sitting on them.

I take 3600mg of Neurontin daily(max amount) and 2 Pramipexole 0.25mg tabs at night to help w/my RLS. With my Neurontin I used to be 1200mg @ 6:15a,11a and 3p....but w/in the past 3 weeks I changed to 600mg @6:15, 1200mg @11a and 600mg @3p....and then 1200mg of Neurontin w/2 Pramipexole 0.25mg tabs to help w/my sleep.

I do on occasion take a perc or something if the pain gets out of control but hate to since I don't want to get used to doing that.

I hope your and everyone's Friday is good and pain free.
J

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby8 View Post
I had the same problem with ankles twice their size--probably from the Gabapentin. So, my doctor prescribed a 2nd diuretic for the edema (I was already taking the diuretic Triamterene, even pre-SFN, to control mild high blood pressure). Adding the 2nd diuretic worked like a charm, and I was so happy to have relatively normal ankles and feet again. I took both diurectics for about a year, and then my blood pressure seemed to be too low, so I cut out the 2nd diurectic to see what would happen. Well, the balloon ankles didn't return, thank goodness, even though I'm still on the same dose of Gabapentin. I think because I've been on the same dose of Gabapentin for so long that my body has adjusted and is more tolerant of it. Hope this helps. - Ruby
I kind of had the same thing happen....I was on Predinsone for my swelling but stopped it after I read too much on the web(kind of lol) and like you the swelling after a while just reduced...not sure if it is that I'm aware of it/make sure I don't walk too much/keep my feet up in the evenings.

I too think my body has adjusted....but glad the Neurontin "works" and I'm able to get up and about.

Be safe
J

Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
(male)

wbcbill HB User

I am 70 year old retired but very active, I have had diabetic neuropathy for the past 3 years. It affects my feet and mid calf, always cold,burning sensation. I found the best way to control is to wear heavy diabetic long white socks all day and sleeping with them on my feet. I have tried 4 different drugs (Cymbalta,topamax,lyrica,neurontin) none worked, I have tried custom developed salve and ointments, they did not work either. The diabetic socks seemed to keep the pain and irritation levels the lowest. Good luck it is not a fun situation.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
(female)

[QUOTE=RisingParrot;4848016]Strangely Over the past 2-3months the swelling isn't anywhere close to where it was....now days I'm only maybe 50% as bad as I used to be....I do have some days that are worse but that usually happens on days when I'm on my feet more then usual ie working then going out. I've also noticed bar stools are NOT my friend...the pain and swelling is always worse after sitting on them.

i know what you mean about the stools that is what i use at work. i work at a counter that has stools to sit on. i ques that is why i swells like i do. i was on the neurotin when i was diagnos with pn and had bad reation with swelling, my whole foot was swollen for weeks then i tried lamotrine ,amitrtpline and a few others which did not work or had a bad reaction that is when i started the nortrptyline which helps me sleep and stop some of the burning but does not work for pain. so now i go to a pain doctor and pain management and that where i am now.
have a nice and pain free weekend
cocoa

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
i know what you mean about the stools that is what i use at work. i work at a counter that has stools to sit on. i ques that is why i swells like i do. i was on the neurotin when i was diagnos with pn and had bad reation with swelling, my whole foot was swollen for weeks then i tried lamotrine ,amitrtpline and a few others which did not work or had a bad reaction that is when i started the nortrptyline which helps me sleep and stop some of the burning but does not work for pain. so now i go to a pain doctor and pain management and that where i am now.
have a nice and pain free weekend
cocoa
We have them around our island in our kitchen..I found that if I do sit on them to use the shortest stool so that my feet touch the ground...helps a bit.

Sure is interesting how some things work for some and don't for others...but hey, whatever works is what we need to do.

Thanks for the kind words and same to you.
J

Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
(female)

dkwk HB User

I am a first grade teacher and work full time. I started showing signs of neuropathy last April. I have symptoms all over. I take gabapentin each day. It is hard to work fulltime sometimes. Some days are harder than others. I just keep going so I can raise my family. I am glad you are still working and not letting this disease win! Danielle

The Following User Says Thank You to dkwk For This Useful Post:
cocoa100 (09-26-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwk View Post
It is hard to work fulltime sometimes. Some days are harder than others. I just keep going so I can raise my family.
x2... for me everyday is a battle...heck, getting out of bed alone can be brutal....but have to do it....keep fighting the fight and stay tough and positive.

We can NOT let PN rule our lives...we all deserve better then that.

Hope everyone has a pain free day.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
dkwk (09-27-2011)
Reply Reply