It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

boopbetty HB User
Neuropathy

DOES ANYONE EXPERIENCE THE ABOVE. IF YOU DO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD TELL ME IF YOU ARE ON ANY MEDICATION AND IF SO WHAT IS THE NAME. MY ONCOLOGIST HAS GIVEN ME LEXAPRO, CYMBALTA, LYRICA, AND NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP MY PAIN. HE WILL NOT GIVE ME ANYTHING ELSE. THANK YOU THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON HEALTHBOARDS AS I AM A NEW MEMBER.:confused:

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Neuropathy

Welcome

My Dad was on Neurontin, and it helped a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi Boopbetty - So sorry to hear of your pain and that the meds you have tried so far haven't helped. There are many more meds that can be tried for neuropathic pain, some non-narcotic and if those don't help, narcotics (don't be afraid to try those if that is what it takes). Many people on this board have neuropathy, and it seems strange, but what works for one doesn't work for another and vice versa. We are all so individual in our reactions to pain and to meds. You deserve to find relief from your pain. I suggest you see a pain management doctor. That type of doctor should work with you to find what helps you and should prescribe stronger meds if that is what it takes for you to find relief. Wishing you good luck in your quest. - Ruby

Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Ruby..great reply and I totally agree.

We are all different and we just need to find the right combo that will give us at least some relief if not complete relief.

boopbetty....I've tried a few different meds...currently I take 3600mg of Neurontin...it helps me get through my days...some days are worse then others and on those days I usually take something extra to help me get some rest.

If my doctor wouldn't help more w/different meds to help me...I'd go see another...you deserve to get the best treatment that is available and also NOT to be in pain if possible.

I hope you have a great Wednesday.
J

Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
(male)

sligo111213 HB User

Hi there,

I have periferal neuropathy and I am on a course of tablets called gabapentin. It is a 10 day course whereby each days dose is increasing up to a maxinum of 1200 grams or whatever it is a day. I am on day 8 and my condition is exactly the same, i.e these tabs aint working.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

hi boopbetty
sometimes it can takes up to a month for the medication to work but if your doctor dont want to help you need to see a diffrent doctor or a pain management doctor

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

Hi Boopbetty,

I have Small Fiber Neuropathy (SFN) in my feet. Have suffered for 3 yrs. Just this year was diagnosed & it's taken a long time & many different medications to find one that works for me.

Like the other's have said, each of us are different in our pain & the medications that we use.

I am on 600mg of Lyrica. Each medication I've tried has taken approx a month for my body to respond to. Lyrica has so far worked the best, although nothing completely takes away the pain. I also take hydrocodone at least twice a day.

I'm never completely out of pain, but some days are much better than others. I can't even remember now how many different doctors I went to just to get diagnosed!

You are your only spokesperson. You are the only one that knows the type of pain that you are in. It's wrong for your doctor to tell you that he won't try any other type of medication for you. As others have said, there are so many out there. I strongly suggest that you see another doctor. Perhaps a Neurologist?

I hope that you find some relief & start having better days.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ihate2w8:
RisingParrot (10-18-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

Wade HB User

Hi Boopbetty,
I'm new to the boards and it's nice to meet you. I have neuropathy and also agree that no two peole with pain are the same. I also had trouble getting help for pain at first, but went and got second and third opinions. After my second knee surgery my knee, leg, and foot started too hurt badly and one agravated the other. My Orth doc kept telling me it was all in the healing process. ;( Basically saying the pain was all in my head. I then went to a new primary care doc who actually listened to my cries. He sent me to a Neurologist and Rheumatologists. The Neuro Doc. tested me and found nerve damage (Neuropathy) and the Rhem Doc. is wacky and said that I have vitamin deficiencies. My primary gives me pain meds and Neuro gives Gabapentin. I refuse to live with all the pain and these two meds help if used together. There are many doctors who refuse to give pain meds because of the bad reputation, but I told them I'm in pain, I'm not a drug addict, and what can you do to help. Don't except no for an answer, because most doctors are not trained in chronic pain anyway. Good luck!!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

We can not just accept anything any one doctor says....another opinion is always a good idea. I'm on number 4 right now and would NOT be surprised if 5th was in the next few months.

I'm tired of the "we can't treat you until we know why you have PN" from the 4th....I THOUGHT he was the doctor and should be able to find those answers out...or at least an IDEA!! My health is NOT a craps game.
J

The following user gives a hug of support to RisingParrot:
Ihate2w8 (10-19-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
(female)

girlfriendXOXOX HB User

Are you currently having chemo? My boyfriend has peripheral neuropothy in his toes from chemo in past. We have had no relief from these drugs either, plus baclofen and Keppra (both anti-siezure. Sorry. I'm trying to find out about Anodyne therapy now, suggested by podiatrist.

Reply Reply