It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User
Pain in forearm, wrist, leg, foot, and back... ay yay yay!!

Right now, I'm having pain in:

upper back,
dull ache/numbness in center of back right on the spine (sometimes to the right of it as well),
low back aches (occasionally),
shooting pains in forearm, wrist, and right below my ankle (all on the left side),
tingling in my left hand,
tremors/tingling on the left side of my lip,
headaches,
dizziness,
and a strange pain that radiates up both sides of my neck (kinda near the carotid artery/thyroid)...

does anyone have a clue or share the same symptoms?

Oh, and when I look down, there is a slight "pulling" feeling in the center of my spine/back.

I'm tired of the all the pain, aches, and tremors. I'm getting depressed. I've had 6 blood tests in 3 weeks, and all that came back was a borderline positive ANA test. Everything else was fine. Previously, I had a high SED rate but that is coming down.

Anyone, help?

The tingling sensations and dizziness began when I was taking a medication (nitrofurantoin) for a UTI, but that was over 3 weeks ago...

anyone, help?

Last edited by dallascowboyzfa; 10-07-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Error in title

Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
(male)

wookienerves HB User
Re: Pain in forearm, wrist, leg, foot, and back...ay yay yay!!

I really don't have an answer for you, but perhaps letting you know I am dealing with a very, very similar situation (minus the dizziness) will give you some kind of comfort. I'm experiencing stabbing pain/nerve pain/aches/spasms...throughout my entire body that randomly hits me. I've seen a doctor and neurologist..had some blood tests as well..came away without really any answers. Try to see more doctors, I guess...maybe a neurologist, a rheumatologist. I understand how it can get frustrating, and taking your mind off it is nearly impossible when it's happening to you so much. Hang in there and seek support in family and friends.

P.S. I was going to mention the Cowboys, but I think they're on a BYE this week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

Yes they are. Good thing too, after Romo botched up last weeks game.

Ugh, it is very frustrating. I'm physically exhausted with dealing with these docs that emotionally check out on me after the 3rd symptom.
I'm tired of all of these tests (blood work many times, x-rays, ct scans, and now more imaging work needs to be done) and waiting on results.

I'm only 30 and don't know why I'm feeling this way. Please keep me updated on your status. It's somewhat frustrating to read old threads that have other folks that were going through the same thing(s) that I am now, but they never return to comment.
Maybe that is a good thing, perhaps their pain just went away?

Def keep me updated, plz.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
(male)

wookienerves HB User

Yeah, I've been looking at lots of other old posts as well, trying to figure things out and they always seem to end without the person ever solving the problem, unfortunately. I will mention that I've read something called peripheral neuropathy (you may already be familiar with this from your own research)..there's a whole bunch of different types...sometimes caused by various factors (underlying conditions), many times they can't find a cause for them(from what I've read). They're also chronic, so if your pain suddenly disappears, perhaps that's not the cause. That's the closest answer I've come to. But they usually tend to start in one spot (such as the feet) and eventually spread...mine is the sudden onset of stabbing pain in lots of places, so I don't know.

When I started having pain, I thought simply visiting the doctor would help bring a quick solution. That wasn't the case.

I'm only 26.

Best wishes to you (and myself). Let's get well soon (*fingers crossed). Will keep you updated.

Last edited by wookienerves; 10-07-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

I def get what you're saying. I hadn't visited a doc, besides required annual visits, in about 8 eight years. I've been to the doc more in the last month, than I have in my entire life.
I've come to the conclusion that their catch-all answer is "you're stressed, it's anxiety."
Yes, I've read about peripheral neuropathy as well. I don't have diabetes, which I read is a big underlying cause in the case of many out there.
Now, the doc is looking for MS, but I'm going to another doc to have her check out my thyroid.

Okay wookienerves, keep me updated and yes, let's get better!!

I hope we get some more input from others sharing (literally) our pain.

So I've read about peripheral neuropathy, CIDS, thyroid problems, and Chiari malformation. Let me now if you find anything in your research as well.

Thanks wookie!

Last edited by dallascowboyzfa; 10-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

I went to the doc yesterday, she said it sounds like musculoskeletal problems and she can't do anything for me since all my blood work looks okay.

Sooooo, the search continues.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
(male)

wookienerves HB User

Hey, here's a small update: I recently had a nerve conduction study done on most of my body. It's the test where they send what kind of feels like electric shocks through your nerves and stick needles into your muscles.

However, the neurologist said all looked normal (I guess that would rule out some things including neuropathy). Still having the pain, although at times it's not as bad, then other times it gets worse. I'm supposed to have an MRI (waiting on insurance) and then an appointment with a rheumatologist as well. Hope all is well on your end.

Last edited by wookienerves; 10-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

Hey Wookie,

Looks like we're doing things exactly opposite of one another.

I already had an MRI and waiting on having an appt with a neurologist.

Was the nerve conduction study painful at all?

I was stuck for nearly 3 hours doing an MRI with and without contrast. Still waiting on those results.

Yeah, my pain sometimes comes and goes as well. Frustrating, I don't have an exact spot to say "it hurts here" to my doc.

Thanks for checking in! Will keep you updated on my results as well.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

My MRI of my head/neck/upper spine came back pretty clear. I have grade 1 mild arthritis.

Now the doc is testing for autoimmune disorders, lyme disease (again), B12 deficiency, etc. Ugh.

Next week I go in for EMG and then the following week the NCV (is that what it is, I don't have the paper in front of me). After a physical evaluation, the neurologist said "I don't know what's wrong with you." LOL, he too mentioned a rheumatologist.

Soooo, the search continues. Frustrating.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

Hey Wookie,

2 more questions...have you been on any type of medication, on or around the time that your symptoms started?

Are you having any muscle twitching?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
(male)

wookienerves HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascowboyzfa View Post
Hey Wookie,

2 more questions...have you been on any type of medication, on or around the time that your symptoms started?

Are you having any muscle twitching?

Thanks!
Hey, sorry for the super late reply. I haven't really been on medication. I've tried vitamin b12 as i'd read somewhere it helped. Hasn't really improved anything though. Yes, i've had muscle twitching all over, even eye twitches. Nerve conduction is a bit painful but bearable. Mine looked normal, but i've read such a test isn't necessarily good at picking up small fiber nerve damage.

I haven't had the MRI. Unfortunately my med bills have piled up a bit. Problem is still bad. Stabbing/pinching pains in feet, arms, hands, legs, and really all over...along with the twitches/spasms. Also, I have noticed some dizziness at times/Feels like a have to go to the bathroom more than usual. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Trying to hang in there. Hope all is ok for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to wookienerves:
dallascowboyzfa (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

Hey Wookie, I had the NCV/EMG the other week and aside from a "little peripheral neuropathy" in my hands (prob a side effect from a med), everything came out normal.
I'm twitching like mad, and it's really driving me crazy. The anxiety doesn't help at all.
My dizziness has decreased a lot, and the pain is mainly in the front of my lower legs, sometimes feels like it's in the bones of my feet.

Now, the docs are running various blood tests to see if I'm at normal levels.

All of these tests/doc visits are very emotionally draining and I have my good days and very bad/anxious filled days. Thanks for keeping me updated, and hope you feel better!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi Wookie & Dallas - After reading your posts, I suggest you research small fiber neuropathy (SFN). Especially Wookie's symptoms seem to point that direction. It is an uncommon type of neuropathy, doesn't show up on NCV/EMG tests, and can affect the whole body, not just the periphery (hands and feet). Many if not most neurologists are not well informed on SFN and tend to discount symptoms when the usual neuropathy tests and blood work are negative. I had muscle twitching a lot in my early 30s and the neurologist said it was benign. When I stopped worrying about it, it went away. Then 30 years later I developed other symptoms and was diagnosed with SFN. There are a lot of older posts on this board about SFN that you can probably search for. Good luck to both of you. - Ruby

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User

Hey Wookie, how are you doing?

I still have muscle twitching, aching pains, tingling, stabbing sensations, etc.
It's frustrating.

The symptoms have gone down though, although they are still present everyday. At the height of everything, I had pain and twitching all day, every second of the day, with tingling/hands falling asleep occasionally.

Frustrating.

Reply Reply

Tags
aches, arm pain, back pain, forearm pain, leg pain