It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User
neuropathy?

what is the difference between peripheral neuropathy, idopice neuropathy and small fiber neuropathy? if there is a difference because my nuro say i have perphral and the management doctor call it idopic.

stay strong and have a good pain free day
cocoa

Old 11-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: neuropathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa100 View Post
what is the difference between peripheral neuropathy, idopice neuropathy and small fiber neuropathy? if there is a difference because my nuro say i have perphral and the management doctor call it idopic.

stay strong and have a good pain free day
cocoa
Peripheral neuropathy...

Peripheral neuritis; Neuropathy - peripheral; Neuritis - peripheral

Last reviewed: April 26, 2011.

Peripheral nerves carry information to and from the brain. They also carry signals to and from the spinal cord to the rest of the body.

Peripheral neuropathy means these nerves don't work properly. Peripheral neuropathy may be damage to a single nerve. It may be damage to a nerve group. It may also affect nerves in the whole body.

Small fiber neuropathy...

could be best described as a damage happening to the nerve endings of your skinís outer layers. As a disease, it happens when people are more matured. There could be different types of causes that lead to small fiber neuropathy. And the primary ones include diabetes harming the nerve passageways. Some clinical researches have found that this disease is related also to the heredity or auto immune disorders of human beings. Fortunately, there are different types of treatments for this disease. Some medications for instance are great pain.

and I think you mean....

Idiopathic Neuropathy...

Idiopathic neuropathy is a disorder that affects the peripheral nerves and has no identifiable primary cause. According to this definition, a third of all neuropathies can be classified as idiopathic neuropathies.

More Info...

Description

The nervous system is divided into two parts: the central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS). The brain and spinal cord compose the CNS, and the nerves that lead to or branch off the CNS compose the PNS.

Peripheral neuropathies encompass a wide range of disorders in which peripheral nerves are damaged. It may also be referred to as peripheral neuritis (inflammation of peripheral nerves), or if many nerves are involved, the terms polyneuropathy or polyneuritis may be used.

Some of the causes of peripheral neuropathies are common, such as diabetes, and others are extremely rare, such as acrylamide poisoning and certain inherited disorders. Sometimes peripheral neuropathies seem to happen for no particular reason. In such cases, they are called idiopathic, meaning of unknown cause. Idiopathic neuropathies can be classified as idiopathic mononeuropathies and polyneuropathies. An idiopathic mononeuropathy, or radiculopathy, refers to the involvement of a single nerve or nerve root, respectively. A polyneuropathy usually refers to the diffuse involvement of peripheral nerves.

I hope this all helps.

J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
cocoa100 (11-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: neuropathy?

Hi Cocoa - Assuming your diagnosis is correct, both your doctors are correct. "Neuropathy" means a disease of the peripheral nervous system, i.e., the nerves peripheral to the brain and spinal cord. That is why sometimes it is called "peripheral neuropathy," but it means the same thing whether you say "neuropathy" or "peripheral neuropathy."

There are many kinds of neuropathies and many different causes. When the doctors can't determine the cause, they say it is "idiopathic" meaning no cause can by found. About a third of all neuropathies are labeled idiopathic, i.e., of unknow cause.

Thus yours is an idiopathic neuropathy (same as idiopathic peripheral neuropathy).

Nerves are of two types: large fiber nerves and small fiber nerves. Because most neuropathies affect the large fibers, doctors just say you have neuropathy without specifying you have large fiber neuropathy. These more common neuropathies that affect the large fiber nerves are detected by having NCV and EMG tests (i.e., needle tests) done. Small fiber neuropathies (SFNs) are much less common, and SFN doesn't show up on NCV/EMG tests. As your doctor didn't specify you have SFN, you have the classic neuropathy that affects the large fiber nerves.

Hope that helps, and hugs to you. - Ruby

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
cocoa100 (11-02-2011)
Reply Reply