It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Bad Days...

I've had them the last few days...

My PN is really bad, esp in the evening...not sure what is going on..last night I actually took a pain pill along w/my 600mg of Neurontin before I went to bed..on top of that I THINK I'm getting sick. Not doing so well.

Hope everyone else is doing great and has a pain free day/week.
J

Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User
Re: Bad Days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingParrot View Post
I've had them the last few days...

My PN is really bad, esp in the evening...not sure what is going on..last night I actually took a pain pill along w/my 600mg of Neurontin before I went to bed..on top of that I THINK I'm getting sick. Not doing so well.

Hope everyone else is doing great and has a pain free day/week.
J
My husband has had PN for 20 years maybe more, seems like forever. He has a lot of trouble at night too. Hi neurologist put him on two anti-depressants, and one of them helps him sleep, and the other one helps the pain. He tried Neurontin when he was first diagnosed with PN and it seemed to work for a while but then it quit working.

I am sorry youíre feeling bad. It really bothers me when I have to watch my husband in so much pain and I can't help him.

hugs to you, hope you feel better soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to Daisy65:
RisingParrot (11-30-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy65 For This Useful Post:
RisingParrot (11-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy65 View Post
My husband has had PN for 20 years maybe more, seems like forever. He has a lot of trouble at night too. Hi neurologist put him on two anti-depressants, and one of them helps him sleep, and the other one helps the pain. He tried Neurontin when he was first diagnosed with PN and it seemed to work for a while but then it quit working.

I am sorry youíre feeling bad. It really bothers me when I have to watch my husband in so much pain and I can't help him.

hugs to you, hope you feel better soon!
Thanks so much for the nice thoughts and hugs...it means a lot to me.

I'm usually pretty upbeat/glass is half full/can only deal w/what we can type of guy...not so much right now and between that feeling and the pain I'm kind of in a bad place.

So very sorry that your husband has had PN period let alone that long. I've had it since around 07 and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

As of now I'm on the max dose of Neurontin which is 3600mg...so not sure if that is an issue like your husband had that maybe it isn't working as much any longer. I was on a RLS pill but per my wife Kath it isn't doing much to help me. I mentioned to my doctor about that and me having issues sleeping and said they might want to try Cymbalta...not sure about it though.

You sound like my wife K...always trying to help even in times when just being there helps.

Great thoughts and prayers out to your husband and you.

Hope you and him have a great day.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
June89 (03-16-2012)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User

Quote:
Thanks so much for the nice thoughts and hugs...it means a lot to me.

I'm usually pretty upbeat/glass is half full/can only deal w/what we can type of guy...not so much right now and between that feeling and the pain I'm kind of in a bad place.

So very sorry that your husband has had PN period let alone that long. I've had it since around 07 and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

As of now I'm on the max dose of Neurontin which is 3600mg...so not sure if that is an issue like your husband had that maybe it isn't working as much any longer. I was on a RLS pill but per my wife Kath it isn't doing much to help me. I mentioned to my doctor about that and me having issues sleeping and said they might want to try Cymbalta...not sure about it though.

You sound like my wife K...always trying to help even in times when just being there helps.

J
My husband takes Elavil to help him sleep, and Cymbalta helps with the pain. He tried to quit the Elavil, but couldn't...............when he doesn't take it, he doesn't sleep. I don't like that drug, it has way to many side effects, but he needs it because the pain he is in is horrible, and he needs to sleep at night. He is also a up beat guy,a nd I don't know how he does it. I would be a witch if I was in that much pain. He use to have weak spells, but he doesn't have those any more, so I am grateful for that.

Wishing you a better day tomorrow!

hugs!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
My husband takes Elavil to help him sleep, and Cymbalta helps with the pain. He tried to quit the Elavil, but couldn't...............when he doesn't take it, he doesn't sleep. I don't like that drug, it has way to many side effects, but he needs it because the pain he is in is horrible, and he needs to sleep at night. He is also a up beat guy,a nd I don't know how he does it. I would be a witch if I was in that much pain. He use to have weak spells, but he doesn't have those any more, so I am grateful for that.

Wishing you a better day tomorrow!

hugs!
Are those the only 2 meds he take for his PN?

They wanted to put me on Cymbalta...but got home and read WAY too much about it and got concerned about taking it. BUT after reading so many posts here I might be willing to give it a shot....I tried going back on Lyricia(I was on it but for Ins reasons had to stop) BUT after weening off the Neurontin and on the Lyrica and trying it for 2 weeks I had to ween off the Lyricia and back on the Neurontin...the Lyricia made me NUMB..which is better then pain and I'm numb some anyway...but felt unsafe w/even walking the way I felt.

Believe me when I first had issues w/PN I was MAD!! but figured it isn't going away so have to play the hand I was dealt.

You are a great person for taking care of him....I KNOW it isn't easy esp w/how limited we can be due to the PN attacking us.

Hang in there....and let your husband know he is not alone.
J

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Are those the only 2 meds he take for his PN?

They wanted to put me on Cymbalta...but got home and read WAY too much about it and got concerned about taking it. BUT after reading so many posts here I might be willing to give it a shot....I tried going back on Lyricia(I was on it but for Ins reasons had to stop) BUT after weening off the Neurontin and on the Lyrica and trying it for 2 weeks I had to ween off the Lyricia and back on the Neurontin...the Lyricia made me NUMB..which is better then pain and I'm numb some anyway...but felt unsafe w/even walking the way I felt.

Believe me when I first had issues w/PN I was MAD!! but figured it isn't going away so have to play the hand I was dealt.

You are a great person for taking care of him....I KNOW it isn't easy esp w/how limited we can be due to the PN attacking us.

Hang in there....and let your husband know he is not alone.
J

I don't take care of him, he won't let me, smile. I do cook, clean, do laundry, and do his book work, iron his shirts, and the dishes, I could go on and on, and I play too, hahaha. We have nine grandchildren, but we donít get to see them very often, but when we do, we have a good time, they are the joy of our life.

He still works every day, he is very active. I worry about him, but I try to hide it. He is still my guy, even though he is 67 and I will be 65. Yes those are the only two medications he takes, besides extra strength Tylenol, and he takes very little of that. He was angry when he first got this too, and we were both afraid, because they told him he would end up in a wheel chair, but they made it sound like in a few years, well he has had this a long time, still walking, working, and playing................he plays golf. I think as long as he keeps active he will be ok.

Thanks for caring!
hugs!

The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy65 For This Useful Post:
June89 (03-16-2012)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I don't take care of him, he won't let me, smile. I do cook, clean, do laundry, and do his book work, iron his shirts, and the dishes, I could go on and on, and I play too, hahaha. We have nine grandchildren, but we donít get to see them very often, but when we do, we have a good time, they are the joy of our life.
K does the same for me...she has been through all my zap tests/spinal tap and apts w/me...she is my rock!

We don't have kids but or Cat and Parrot keep us busy enough

Quote:
He still works every day, he is very active. I worry about him, but I try to hide it. He is still my guy, even though he is 67 and I will be 65. Yes those are the only two medications he takes, besides extra strength Tylenol, and he takes very little of that. He was angry when he first got this too, and we were both afraid, because they told him he would end up in a wheel chair, but they made it sound like in a few years, well he has had this a long time, still walking, working, and playing................he plays golf. I think as long as he keeps active he will be ok.
I too work...I'm very thankful I'm able to get out of bed and go to work...knowing one day I might not be able to.

You both sound like 2 great people w/great attitude. Keep it up.
Quote:
Thanks for caring!
hugs!
Same to you.
J

Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
K does the same for me...she has been through all my zap tests/spinal tap and apts w/me...she is my rock!

We don't have kids but or Cat and Parrot keep us busy enough

I too work...I'm very thankful I'm able to get out of bed and go to work...knowing one day I might not be able to.

You both sound like 2 great people w/great attitude. Keep it up.
Same to you.
J

My husband is good to me too. I have medical problems...............heart problems/and high blood pressure, which always seems to act up in the middle of the night or on weekends, which I hate, then I have to go to the ER, and that is expensive. Most of the time I tough it out here at home. I did that this afternoon which was dumb, but I am ok. I had a TIA (little stroke), they can't really do anything of you when you have those, so I stayed home. But all the numbness didn't go away like it always does and I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. But it is gone now, so I lucked out again. I hate going to the hospital, not only is it expensive, thank God we have insurance, but they still charge a lot. I just donít like hospitals. I guess I spent enough time there with my parents, and now it is my turn. Sounds like your married to a wonderful person too. We have been married a long time, and we have had our struggles, but I think that is what makes a marriage stronger. I strongly believe that God puts people on this earth to help each other. Thanks for your support!

I wish they had a cure for neuropathy! Maybe one day they will find one.

Hugs to you and your wife!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
My husband is good to me too. I have medical problems...............heart problems/and high blood pressure, which always seems to act up in the middle of the night or on weekends, which I hate, then I have to go to the ER, and that is expensive. Most of the time I tough it out here at home. I did that this afternoon which was dumb, but I am ok. I had a TIA (little stroke), they can't really do anything of you when you have those, so I stayed home. But all the numbness didn't go away like it always does and I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. But it is gone now, so I lucked out again. I hate going to the hospital, not only is it expensive, thank God we have insurance, but they still charge a lot. I just donít like hospitals. I guess I spent enough time there with my parents, and now it is my turn. Sounds like your married to a wonderful person too. We have been married a long time, and we have had our struggles, but I think that is what makes a marriage stronger. I strongly believe that God puts people on this earth to help each other. Thanks for your support!

I wish they had a cure for neuropathy! Maybe one day they will find one.

Hugs to you and your wife!
It for sure if more rough the older we get...K's hospital visit for almost 2 weeks was the first time she has been "sick" so was for sure hard for her....and since I've been the unhealthy one it wasn't easy for me both physically and mentally...thankfully the hospital was 1 mile from our house, my work was VERY cool about how much I worked and didn't and that my family is here so they were great and supported me...that said K was between jobs so w/o insurance...so that put a lot of stress on us...thankfully it all worked out perfect!!! and she now is working again(they said it would take 6mths to a year for her to get healthy) and all is looking up.

I try and be positive...but some days hit me hard...besides my PN I'm also FFL positive(I had blood clots in my legs in 04,05,06) and I'm on blood thinners...I'm a wreck but have to take it one day at a time and be happy we are alive and have great people in our lives.

K rocks!! and like you sound w/your husband....we are a team!! and want what it best for each other.

I too hope there is a cure for all of us dealing w/PN.

Thanks for the kind words and same to you and your husband. Hope you both have a great, safe and healthy day.
J

Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
It for sure if more rough the older we get...K's hospital visit for almost 2 weeks was the first time she has been "sick" so was for sure hard for her....and since I've been the unhealthy one it wasn't easy for me both physically and mentally...thankfully the hospital was 1 mile from our house, my work was VERY cool about how much I worked and didn't and that my family is here so they were great and supported me...that said K was between jobs so w/o insurance...so that put a lot of stress on us...thankfully it all worked out perfect!!! and she now is working again(they said it would take 6mths to a year for her to get healthy) and all is looking up.

I try and be positive...but some days hit me hard...besides my PN I'm also FFL positive(I had blood clots in my legs in 04,05,06) and I'm on blood thinners...I'm a wreck but have to take it one day at a time and be happy we are alive and have great people in our lives.

K rocks!! and like you sound w/your husband....we are a team!! and want what it best for each other.

I too hope there is a cure for all of us dealing w/PN.

Thanks for the kind words and same to you and your husband. Hope you both have a great, safe and healthy day.
J
Thanks! today is a better day for us. the sun is shinning, and that helps. I have taken blood thinner, and it made me feel terrible. I was glad to get off it. I was in the hospital a few months ago, and they wanted me to take it again, but I refused, which was probably dumb, but I didn't even had clots at that time, so I wasn't about to take blood thinner. I have A-Fib, and that is why they wanted me to take it. I do not like taking pills. Now I have to get busy, lol, have lots to do. Our daughter and her family are coming for a visit for Christmas, so it will be a early Christmas with her family, then we will have a Christmas on time with our sons family.

hugs! hope you feel better today!

Last edited by Daisy65; 12-01-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: changed a word

Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

[As of now I'm on the max dose of Neurontin which is 3600mg...so not sure if that is an issue like your husband had that maybe it isn't working as much any longer. I was on a RLS pill but per my wife Kath it isn't doing much to help me. I mentioned to my doctor about that and me having issues sleeping and said they might want to try Cymbalta...not sure about it though.

J[/QUOTE]

have you ever tried nortptyline it stop some of pain and help me sleep at night
keeping strong
cocoa

The Following User Says Thank You to cocoa100 For This Useful Post:
RisingParrot (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Thanks! today is a better day for us. the sun is shinning, and that helps. I have taken blood thinner, and it made me feel terrible. I was glad to get off it. I have in the hospital a few months ago, and they wanted me to take it again, but I refused, which was probably dumb, but I didn't even had clots at that time, so I wasn't about to take blood thinner. I have A-Fib, and that is why they wanted me to take it. I do not like taking pills. Now I have to get busy, lol, have lots to do. Our daughter and her family are coming for a visit for Christmas, so it will be a early Christmas with her family, then we will have a Christmas on time with our sons family.

hugs! hope you feel better today!
Yes they are a BIG pain...I stay far away from sharp things...and the testing SUCKS!! I have been tested daily for weeks before..I'm now every 2-4 weeks...still sucks!

I hope you guys have a great time w/your family...nothing better then family during Christmas.

Thanks for the hugs and same to you....I'm trying for a better day.

Wish the BEST for you and your husband. It is great talking w/you.
J

Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa100 View Post
[As of now I'm on the max dose of Neurontin which is 3600mg...so not sure if that is an issue like your husband had that maybe it isn't working as much any longer. I was on a RLS pill but per my wife Kath it isn't doing much to help me. I mentioned to my doctor about that and me having issues sleeping and said they might want to try Cymbalta...not sure about it though.

J
have you ever tried nortptyline it stop some of pain and help me sleep at night
keeping strong
cocoa[/QUOTE]

No, I've never heard of that before.

What kind of drug is it/does it do?

Thanks cocoa...I appreciate any help I can get.
J

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

[No, I've never heard of that before.

J[/QUOTE]

its a antidepressants that is used for nerve pain and it also helps sleep with sleeping
cocoa

Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
(female)

[No, I've never heard of that before.

J[/QUOTE]

its a antidepressants that is used for nerve pain and it also helps with sleeping
cocoa

Reply Reply