It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

leighallen HB Userleighallen HB User
Question Exhaustion

I have small fiber neuropathy in both feet and legs and lower arms and hands and fingers. One of the worst things that I am experiencing, other than the pain of course, is this extreme exhaustion I feel all the time. I never want to go out or even try to do anything. I know that the less you do the less energy you have, but I try to get out (though it kills my feet to walk) and do something, or try to clean house, etc. I would think it would wake me up, but no, I have to take a nap after any activity, even if it's for a short time. I take gabapentin, 3600 mg, and tramadol 100 mg, 4 times daily. Ive gotten a schedule where I take them faithfully every 5 hours. I wonder if its them that make me tired, but without them, I'm grouchy and miserable from pain. Does anyone experience the same problem, have any suggestions, or ideas. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

June89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB User
Re: Exhaustion

Hi, I am tired as well after I do something. I take lyrica, cymblta morphine & oxycodent. I know I am tired as a result of all these meds, but without them there is too much pain.
Here is to time when we can be energetic again!! Take Care, June

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

Destinyawaitsx HB User

I have narcolepsy, and have a serious symptom of exhaustion and the doctors say it wouldnt be as bad as i describe so they assume it could be depression.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

I also have neuropathy in the arms and legs. I practice TaiChi and try to stay as active as possible. I take lyrica, cymbalta and narcotics. These medications can cause exhaustion but the body is also exhausted by dealing with constant pain.

I cannot say enough about TaiChi. It is a wonderful exercise that has improved my strength and balance and well being as well as helped in reducing pain. If you try it and cannot compete a full class keep going. It was over two years before I could participate in a full class without sitting.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

anwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB User

I have an almost identical description of sfn as you. I take lyrica and nortriptyline. I have been dealing with this for about 7 years now. The only thing that helps my exhaustion is a monthly B12 injection. I can really see a big difference for 3 weeks and then the last week I go downhill. Couldn't hurt to try. On a side note, What caused your neuropathy? Thanks, Allie

Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighallen View Post
I have small fiber neuropathy in both feet and legs and lower arms and hands and fingers. One of the worst things that I am experiencing, other than the pain of course, is this extreme exhaustion I feel all the time. I never want to go out or even try to do anything. I know that the less you do the less energy you have, but I try to get out (though it kills my feet to walk) and do something, or try to clean house, etc. I would think it would wake me up, but no, I have to take a nap after any activity, even if it's for a short time. I take gabapentin, 3600 mg, and tramadol 100 mg, 4 times daily. Ive gotten a schedule where I take them faithfully every 5 hours. I wonder if its them that make me tired, but without them, I'm grouchy and miserable from pain. Does anyone experience the same problem, have any suggestions, or ideas. Thanks!
I have neuropathy in both feet and legs too. I am just like you where it hurts to even be on my feet and when I do a little housework, I am exhausted.

How long have you had neuropathy? I was also wondering how long you have been on the gabapentin?

I take between 2,100 mg and 2,400 mg of gabapentin a day. I also take 2.5 mg of Loritab to 5 mg, 3 times a day and 20 mg of balcofen 4 times a day.

I don't know what type of neuropathy I have but mine is from having MS.

Can you explain the type of pain you experience? I have been trying to find someone who has the same thing going on.

I have been dx with neuropathy for two years and first just had pain in my feet. About 5 months ago, it became constant pain in legs and feet.

I am a big baby and this has put me into a depression.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

PitStop43 HB User
Smile Re: Exhaustion

I too have neuropathy in many if not all area's of my body. Sometimes I think if I wasn't so tired I could get through this. The more I do, the more I hurt. I need to sit and rest every 2 hrs or so. If not by 7pm I'm done and can barely pull myself upstairs. Even after I rest my energy level is low. I have a family of 5 boys. My husband and the older boys help me so much. (without complaining).
One thing I found to help me is getting a new bed. One tat elevates my legs and head and also has vibration. The vibration helps to calm my legs from twitching in pain.

Good luck and peace be with you.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitStop43 View Post
I too have neuropathy in many if not all area's of my body. Sometimes I think if I wasn't so tired I could get through this. The more I do, the more I hurt. I need to sit and rest every 2 hrs or so. If not by 7pm I'm done and can barely pull myself upstairs. Even after I rest my energy level is low. I have a family of 5 boys. My husband and the older boys help me so much. (without complaining).
One thing I found to help me is getting a new bed. One tat elevates my legs and head and also has vibration. The vibration helps to calm my legs from twitching in pain.

Good luck and peace be with you.
Hi Pitstop,

I am sorry you are dealing with so much.....

May I ask how long you have been enduring with all of this?

I get really tired too and have to rest shortly after doing anything. I do find with me that if I am workingf outside, the pain isn't as bad but when I stop, that is when I really hurt. But, when I vaccuum or do housework, I hurt the entire time. Both instances I hurt more afterwards and am really exhausted the next couple days. I think that since I really enjoy yard work that while I am doing it and I am so engrossed with it that I stop being focused on the pain.

That is why, I want to learn how to meditate to train my mind not to focus on all this pain.

There are medications that will help you with your exhaustion.

I get exhausted but I have extreme problems sleeping and no matter how tired I get during the day, if I lay down, I can't sleep. I also have problems going to sleep at night and staying asleep.

Reply Reply