It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

QtrHrsMomma HB User
Piriformis Syndrome

I have suffered with lower back and hip pain since I was in my teens. I am now 34 years old and am sooo frustrated of the constant severe pain I have... and its just getting worse. A bit of a history:

In my teens I complained of lower back and hip pain and was xrayed but nothing ever came of anything... in my 20's I went on and started a family - gained ALOT of weight and when I would see the Dr they would always tell me to lose weight and all would be better. The pain progressed...

In my late 20's I had new xrays on my right hip that showed sclerosis (hardening of the tissues) in the hip. Once again nothing came of it... just kept living in pain.

A few years ago I had another xray done on the right hip - this time it showed some joint space narrowing, reduced fluid and mild osteophytes... they determined that I have the start of osteoarthritis in the hip. I was prescribed anti inflammatories and pain meds....The pain continued.

Last fall I was FINALLY sent for an MRI - it showed I have a small bump complex indicative of femoro-acetabular impingement. Also trochanteric bursitis and a few other things... there was no labral tear however.

I was sent to see a surgeon a month or so later (not a very friendly man!) who insisted MOST of my pain was not coming from the hip issue - that it was too mild to cause that sorta pain... he said there was a large calcification on the piriformis muscle and that the sciatic nerve is getting entrapped. He said my groin pain is mechanical and from the hip and the rest of the pain is from the piriformis issue. He barely touched me and didnt let me explain any of my symptoms... he was quite abrupt. He recommended physio and I started physio about 5 or 6 weeks ago now. I have also tried acupuncture....

Fast forward to now - To start, I have lost about 90 lbs...I am doing physio three times a week... stretching daily and its progressively getting more painful... I am definitely getting better stamina but the pain is not getting better and most days I don't even want to weight bear on my leg. I have been using a cane for about 5 months now as well, I should add.

My symptoms: nagging lower back pain that travels down into my buttocks and into my legs - it sometimes can be described as the most nagging menstrual back ache pain you could imagine - like back labor... I have horrible pain on weight bearing in my groin - especially when I stand up straight and try to walk 'normally' - the pain is stabbing and makes me fall to my knees - feels like something in my groin is gonna let loose. Its not every step though...
I have horrible pain releasing my urine when my bladder is full - I saw the gyno and he told me to do kegals *rolls eyes*.. I do kegals all the time to keep the pelvic floor muscles in good order.. he was acting like I was complaining about a UTI or something - its not like that at all...feels more like a tearing sensation in those tendons inside the soft area in the groin area, when I try to relax to pee.
I often get little 'shocks' of pain in my legs (sometimes the left leg too) and at the point of my hip... sometimes if I stand with my feet flat on the ground and lean to the left (so the left hip bulges out) I get the weirdest shocky sensation - almost like the shock starts at one point and 'spiders' out... its a quick thing and usually only here and there...
The skin over the greater trochanter is soooo hyper sensitive that its almost nauseating when someone or something (like my cat at night!) touches me... actually hurts so bad it brings out anger in me.

The surgeon has now decided to do piriformis injections - I go in March and have to admit I am kinda nervous about it... I sure hope it can help me.... I am taking oxycodone and even with that I feel the pain... I am so frustrated that the surgeon, for now, is ignoring my hip/groin pain... he says we will deal with it when its bad enough to deal with - its just that THAT is the worst pain... the piriformis pain is horrible enough and unrelenting but that groin pain I get knocks me to my knees... My PT said I should probably see a neurologist and when I told my doc he said the surgeon can make that decision - frustrating thing is the surgeon doesnt even barely let me talk. I live in a pretty remote area and there is a lack of orthopedic surgeons to choose from... Ive heard mine is very good - just lacks beside manners. LOL

Anyone deal with this sorta thing? I went to see the surgeon for the hip and came out of there with a whole 'nuther diagnosis. I agree with his piriformis diagnosis cause its bang on... but what about the bladder pain? And my excruciating hip pain...? Could there also be pudendal nerve entrapment with this??

So sorry for the length of this post - and if you got through it, thank you sooo much, its just been going on for years...and from what I've read the longer you suffer with it often the harder it is to 'fix'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply