It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

penguinsfan HB User
Tingling/burning neuropathy with no loss of feeling

I've had a long list of weird symptoms that started Sept 2011 that I'd like advice on. It started with a pounding heartbeat that would keep me up at night. It lasted for about a week (day and night) until it subsided. I also noticed that there was an electric current like sensation in my face with a trembling lip, particularly at night, and I would wake up sometimes in a cold sweat. After the heart symptoms subsided I started getting random muscle twitches most everywhere, though most frequently in a thumb or in my toes. It started as a persistent twitch in my left thumb. I could overpower the twitches in my thumbs and elsewhere so I wouldn't describe them as spasms.

A few weeks ago I started getting a persistent twitch in my left foot along with a slight tingling. After a day outside in the cold wind on Jan 28th, I noticed the tingling spread up my left calve, to my right leg and then into my hands and arms. That night my sleep was fitful with cold sweats. It was followed by a bout of awful fatigue that has only recently let up. I also erupted later in the week with the worst cold sore I've ever had. The cold sore appeared in it's usual spot on my lip, started to heal then another new one appeared around it. Another cold sore appeared on my gums about a week after as well. I started taking acyclivor as a result. The all-over tingling/burning is intermittent and has not gone away either. The trembling in my lips is noticeable at night too.

I went to the doctor, he seemed to think it was a type of viremia though I'm not convinced. I had blood work and urine analysis which showed normal thyroid, hemoglobin, blood sugar, kidney function, B12 level, white blood cell count. EKG and blood pressure were normal as well.

I admit that what I've read about my symptoms has made me very anxious about MS. A hot bath seems to help, not worsen the tingling, and when I wake up in the morning I don't notice any tingling until I start moving around. I haven't noticed any other sensory changes such as loss of feeling or touch. My balance and coordination are fine. My eyesight hasn't changed either. Bending my head forward to check for Lhermette's sign doesn't trigger any tingling or shock sensations. I haven't noticed any brain fog or cognitive impairment either. I have noticed my feet are cold though.

Could these symptoms be a sign of mercury poisoning? I have eaten a fair bit of sushi in the last 6 months. I would appreciate any feedback on what route to take medically as well as any ideas as to possible causes of my symptoms.

Much appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
(male)

Arminoc HB UserArminoc HB UserArminoc HB User
Re: Tingling/burning neuropathy with no loss of feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsfan View Post
I've had a long list of weird symptoms that started Sept 2011 that I'd like advice on. It started with a pounding heartbeat that would keep me up at night. It lasted for about a week (day and night) until it subsided. I also noticed that there was an electric current like sensation in my face with a trembling lip, particularly at night, and I would wake up sometimes in a cold sweat. After the heart symptoms subsided I started getting random muscle twitches most everywhere, though most frequently in a thumb or in my toes. It started as a persistent twitch in my left thumb. I could overpower the twitches in my thumbs and elsewhere so I wouldn't describe them as spasms.

A few weeks ago I started getting a persistent twitch in my left foot along with a slight tingling. After a day outside in the cold wind on Jan 28th, I noticed the tingling spread up my left calve, to my right leg and then into my hands and arms. That night my sleep was fitful with cold sweats. It was followed by a bout of awful fatigue that has only recently let up. I also erupted later in the week with the worst cold sore I've ever had. The cold sore appeared in it's usual spot on my lip, started to heal then another new one appeared around it. Another cold sore appeared on my gums about a week after as well. I started taking acyclivor as a result. The all-over tingling/burning is intermittent and has not gone away either. The trembling in my lips is noticeable at night too.

I went to the doctor, he seemed to think it was a type of viremia though I'm not convinced. I had blood work and urine analysis which showed normal thyroid, hemoglobin, blood sugar, kidney function, B12 level, white blood cell count. EKG and blood pressure were normal as well.

I admit that what I've read about my symptoms has made me very anxious about MS. A hot bath seems to help, not worsen the tingling, and when I wake up in the morning I don't notice any tingling until I start moving around. I haven't noticed any other sensory changes such as loss of feeling or touch. My balance and coordination are fine. My eyesight hasn't changed either. Bending my head forward to check for Lhermette's sign doesn't trigger any tingling or shock sensations. I haven't noticed any brain fog or cognitive impairment either. I have noticed my feet are cold though.

Could these symptoms be a sign of mercury poisoning? I have eaten a fair bit of sushi in the last 6 months. I would appreciate any feedback on what route to take medically as well as any ideas as to possible causes of my symptoms.

Much appreciated
Hi, Hows your burning and tingling? any changes? You might want to look into small fiber neuropathy, it can be diagnosed by a skin biopsy. My condition started in a similar manner as yours with at first muscle twitching all over then it progressed to the tingling and burning.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
(male)

penguinsfan HB User

Hello,

My condition seems to vary a lot. It will go from no symptoms to a burning pain in my legs and elsewhere. Tingling and other paresthesia also happen. This morning was excellent until around noon when the symptoms flared up. They went away after I went for a walk.

The neuropathy seems to be aggravated by periods of sitting, especially driving. A hot bath or exercise, even moderate activity like working in the garage seems to alleviate it to a large degree.

I will consider a nerve biopsy. Thank you for your reply.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
(male)

Quote:
Hello,

My condition seems to vary a lot. It will go from no symptoms to a burning pain in my legs and elsewhere. Tingling and other paresthesia also happen. This morning was excellent until around noon when the symptoms flared up. They went away after I went for a walk.

The neuropathy seems to be aggravated by periods of sitting, especially driving. A hot bath or exercise, even moderate activity like working in the garage seems to alleviate it to a large degree.

I will consider a nerve biopsy. Thank you for your reply.
I did not say Nerve Biopsy, those are a bit risky and can do some damage, what I mentioned is a Skin Biopsy which looks at the level of nerve fibers in your skin and its much less invasive than a nerve biopsy some people get nerve damage from a Nerve Biopsy so avoid that.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
(male)

penguinsfan HB User

OK - I'll look into a skin biopsy. How has your condition been? Any improvement? What treatment options have you done? I'm currently on 300 mg of Gabapentin at bedtime. Seems to take the edge off the burning.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
(male)

Quote:
OK - I'll look into a skin biopsy. How has your condition been? Any improvement? What treatment options have you done? I'm currently on 300 mg of Gabapentin at bedtime. Seems to take the edge off the burning.
I got off the prednisone and the burning came back with a vengance, so I tried to get on IVIG, the IVIG was rejected by the inusrance company so I payed for it cash and did an appeal. So far the IVIG has cut the burning in half, some things I found to help with the burning were Alpha Lipoic Acid and a supplement called Lutimax thats a really good antinflammatory. I did not do any Gabapentine it gave me a headache and I felt it made my inflammation worse, I dont feel its a solution to my problem it also has some ear side effects that scared me a bit. I think the answer to my problem is IVIG I just have to get doctor to fight the insurance. Hope you find your answers soon also.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
(male)

DataM HB User

very similar symptoms - wake up am with little issue - late in the day burning legs and feet, the more walking the more pain in the evening. Although a skin biopsy has confirmed small fibre damage some of the pain was rooted in plantar fasciitis. the nerve pain makes you protect your foot and then you develop the plantar fasciitis.
I would be interested in comparing test notes and possible toxins that we may have taken. On my list at the moment are seafood, glucosamine, mercury etc
Like you most of my tests were "normal".

Reply Reply

Tags
burning, mercury, muscle twitches, neuropathy, tingling