It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

SuiteNote HB User
Exercise

I have peripheral neuropathy, not diabetic, no thyroid issues, I am deficient in Vitamin D, so I take supplements. Reading some posts, I wonder how many of you exercise and, if so, does this help your neuropathy? When I get flare ups, the burning sensation in my lower legs, ankles and feet, I wonder how I can even go for a 30 minute walk, let alone do other forms of exercise like squats when the burning gets so bad. I guess I can sit in a chair and do upper body exercises but when you have to stand and have the numbness and burn, it's really hard. Thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User
Re: Exercise

i know how you feel. have you tried water arobics?

hope you have a pain fee day and keep strong
cocoa

The Following User Says Thank You to cocoa100 For This Useful Post:
SuiteNote (03-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think gentle exercise makes just about any physical malady better. There is a very gentle yoga class offered on PBS that just about anyone should be able to do. You can do it sitting in a chair and then it moves to gentle mat work, but you can do the whole thing sitting in a chair. Walking remains the best exercise -- if it is hard, shorten your stride. Take a shorter walk, as tolerated...then try to go the distance a couple times per day...even if it is a block and back.

Our bodies are designed to move. It is the movement that keeps the joints "oiled" and functioning...so try to do something every day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
June89 (04-10-2012), SuiteNote (03-24-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
(female)

MichG HB UserMichG HB User

I have had PN for just over two years now and started Pilates a couple of months ago and feel so good for it - Ok there are a couple of exercises that I cannot do but the instructor caters to you.

Hope you find something that suits you - exercise makes one feel so good!

I used to walk 5 kilometres every morning (before the onset of PN) and dont even think I can walk one now without terrible burning and pain but with Pilates, there is no pain or discomfort

Good luck and take care

The Following User Says Thank You to MichG For This Useful Post:
SuiteNote (03-26-2012)
Reply Reply