It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

June89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB User
Unhappy Disappointed & Confused

Hi, I saw my Neurologist today who had the results of my sural nerve biopsy.
She said that I have a minor minor vasculitis in a few blood vessels, a few myelin sheaths are gone. Thats about it, no mention of small fibre neuropathy.
The Dr.said that I have every symptom for small fibre neuropathy. So I ask why did it not show up??? The DR. does not know. She wants me to get a second opinion from the reumatologist I went to, to rule out any type of reumatoid arthritis??
So I guess I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. Dr. Baker the neuromuscular Dr. I go to in May will know more as this is his specialty. This Dr. Baker is doing his own testing , I was called yesterday to tell me not to bring any reports and be prepared for a EMG.
My hands are hurting so bad, cramping, dropping things, tingling. My face now has the tingling when touched.
The test results have brought me down.
June

The following user gives a hug of support to June89:
hatemyfeet (03-29-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: Disappointed & Confused

Small fibre neuropathy is one of the hardest to diagnose. I am also not surprised that you have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. This is the most common neuropathy. A doctor once joked to me that idiopathic meant that the idiots could not figure it out. Depending on how far advanced the SFN is it can show up on an EMG/ENG so that may be helpful.

Keep hanging in there. I realize how difficult it can be, I have another disorder that was not diagnosised properly for twenty-five years.

The Following User Says Thank You to tingles For This Useful Post:
June89 (03-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Disappointed & Confused

Hi, small fibre neuropathy testing is done by a skin punch biopsy or thermal testing if the punch is not available.
An emg only can test for the larger nerves, there is way known small fibre could show up on an emg.
I hope the new doc is neuropathy savy as this last one sounds like a real empty head.
best of luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
June89 (03-29-2012)
Reply Reply