It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
(male)

georgeodsenior HB User
peripheral neuropathy

hi, i am a 67year old male for a number of years around 7-8ish i have had gradually increasing back problems diagnosed fairly recently as spinal stenosis at the time of examination the consultant figured there was something else wrong as i had numbnes in the legs and pins and needle up as far as the knees maybe a bit higher muscles reducing in size and getting weeker now at the extent of having to use sticks i was a very fit man before this now its in my hands and fingers with similar muscle loss balance is also affected i think thats from the leg muscle weeknes but not certain i have now been diagnosed with perpheral nueropathy and have had extensive tests ie brain heart liver lungs electrical nerve testing all kinds of scanning and blood testing the results of all these should be back soon everything seems clear no apparent cancer diabetis etc i dont smoke or drink an uncle died who had this at 87 i believe. does any one have any ideas on this am i going to be a doomed to not being able to walk . is it likely to get much worse maybe kill me and so on i am not really on any meds as such at the moment regards george

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: peripheral nueropathy

George,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Did they check your cervical (neck) spine for stenosis also? I have much the same symptoms in my legs, feet, etc., which were caused by spinal cord compression at the C7 level. I also have spinal stenosis in my lumbar which causes my left leg to be weak. It could be that the nerve problems are all related to your spine. My damage went on too long and became permanent. I had surgery to stabilize my cervical spine and take the pressure off. Tests included MRI and EMG, with surgery by a neurosurgeon who specialized in spine surgery. It took evaluation by the surgeon to really pinpoint the problem. The neurologist I saw first, referred me on after the MRI. My problems started when I turned
60. Stenosis and degenerative disc disease comes with age. There are many posts on the Spinal Cord board relating to symptoms. Some people have a lot of pain, but I mostly had the nerve symptoms or parasthesia, stinging, numbness, *****ling, itching, burning. It varies. Hope you get some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy

First thing is to try and stay active. I know it can be difficult with neuropathy but it is necessary to keep what strength you have. Can you find a class of TaiChi. I am a proponent of this after I started it. It also helps with balance. When I first started I could not finish a class but now I can do two hours at a time. As far as being doomed to not be able to walk I cannot say, but hope that you can strengthen the muscles you still have.

As far as this disease killing you I do not forsee that, make your life miserable but not kill you. I started with this disease in my mid forties.

Your best bet is to stay positive and keep active. Let us know how things are working out.

Reply Reply