It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
(male)

Hangin99 HB User
Neck/Shoulder Pain, Muscle Ache, Skin Hypersensitive, Eye Trouble

So it all started around this time last year. I would get pretty bad tension-like headaches that would persist for weeks at a time, the worst lasting 3 months. In October 2011 it went away, and I was fine til January of this year. I woke up one day with a stiff neck/headache, and every day after that it worsened until i went to the ER feeling faint/dizzy/weak. Ever since the trip to the ER i have been experiencing a myriad of symptoms that no Doctor I see can explain.

The consistent pain in my neck/shoulders is always present, accompanied by shadowy vision/floaters (24x7), burning sensations in my hands/feet, muscle aches in my arms/legs/chest, skin hypersensitivity (if i touch any part of my body it will feel like i have sunburn there for a few minutes), sensitivity to temperature (if it gets too hot my face gets flushed/hot/irritated, but i can walk into a room with AC and start to shiver).

Brain MRI, EMG, X-rays, blood work, EKG were all normal. MRI revealed I have Paranasal Sinus Inflammatory Disease, but otherwise was normal. Neuro assured me it wasn't neuropathy due to the EMG results, but it feels like a nerve issue. Also i've been extremely anxious since it all started, so perhaps stress/anxiety is a factor.

Been taking a daily multi vitamin & b12. 27 years old, 6 ft tall 150 lbs. I also work at a computer 8-10 hours a day and have poor posture. Was very healthy up until this.

The following user gives a hug of support to Hangin99:
June89 (05-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: Neck/Shoulder Pain, Muscle Ache, Skin Hypersensitive, Eye Trouble

Hi Hangin99 - A type of neuropathy called small fiber neuropathy (SFN) doesn't show up on an EMG test, and many neurologists overlook the possibility of SFN when making a diagnosis. SFN could account for your burning sensations, skin hypersensitivity, and temperature sensitivity. You may want to google small fiber neuropathy for information, and if it seems applicable, talk to your neuro about the possibility. However, at least as far as I know, the pain in your neck and shoulders, headaches, floaters, and muscle aches don't match up with SFN. If you're not getting answers from your neuro, try another. There is so much that isn't known in the field of neurology, and it may take a lot of persistence on your part to get to the bottom of this. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon. - Ruby

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
Hangin99 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

June89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB User

Hi Hangin99, I am so sorry for all of your pain. I have non systemic vascultic neuropathy that has some similarities as the sensitivity to touch, temperature. It affects my feet, legs & hands. They burn; 24/7 chronic pain; spasms, twitching, all 10 toes do not move. My autoimmune system is attacking my blood cells, therefore my nerves are not getting the blood thefore my muscles are wasting. My toes are not working & my ankles are very weak. I am now on a treatment of IVIG to slow down the progression of this disease. The EMG test I had was done by 4 different Dr's to get the data needed for my diagnosis. I do not think these Dr's know that the EMG test does not reveal small fibre neuropathy. You need to see a NEW neurologist & a pain clinic Dr. Keep pushing along, do not give up, keep us posted on your journey. we are here for you whenever you want to talk. June

The Following User Says Thank You to June89 For This Useful Post:
Hangin99 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
(male)

Hangin99 HB User

June & Ruby,
Thanks for your responses, it means a lot! My original neurologist dismissed any type of permanent nerve damage as the EMG test was normal and i have no problem functioning in day to day life. I can walk around for hours, run, exercise, play guitar for 3-4 hours at a time, etc. However my muscles FEEL like they won't be able to do any of these, and are constantly aching. The burning/tingling comes and goes, usually moreso when i am thinking about it/looking up stuff on the internet. She seemed to think it was Anxiety and prescribed me Cymbalta, which i was hesitant to take so i did not fill the RX.

I have an appointment next week to see a new neuro and get a 2nd opinion. My father was recently DX'd with autonomic neuropathy, so perhaps the anxiety of his DX coupled with my recent troubles is throwing me out of whack. only time will tell!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

sawa108 HB Usersawa108 HB User

Sounds like fibromyalgia to me. That is what I was diagnosed with. Check out the fibro pages for more information. I have pain in my neck, back, legs, knees, insomnia, skin sensitivity, muscle pain, ibs, migraines, depression, anxiety and was told the whole bowl of wax is fibromyalgia. I only take flexeril and xanax as needed on the bad days. I use alot of vitamins and herb supplements which really do help.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangin99 View Post
So it all started around this time last year. I would get pretty bad tension-like headaches that would persist for weeks at a time, the worst lasting 3 months. In October 2011 it went away, and I was fine til January of this year. I woke up one day with a stiff neck/headache, and every day after that it worsened until i went to the ER feeling faint/dizzy/weak. Ever since the trip to the ER i have been experiencing a myriad of symptoms that no Doctor I see can explain.

The consistent pain in my neck/shoulders is always present, accompanied by shadowy vision/floaters (24x7), burning sensations in my hands/feet, muscle aches in my arms/legs/chest, skin hypersensitivity (if i touch any part of my body it will feel like i have sunburn there for a few minutes), sensitivity to temperature (if it gets too hot my face gets flushed/hot/irritated, but i can walk into a room with AC and start to shiver).

Brain MRI, EMG, X-rays, blood work, EKG were all normal. MRI revealed I have Paranasal Sinus Inflammatory Disease, but otherwise was normal. Neuro assured me it wasn't neuropathy due to the EMG results, but it feels like a nerve issue. Also i've been extremely anxious since it all started, so perhaps stress/anxiety is a factor.

Been taking a daily multi vitamin & b12. 27 years old, 6 ft tall 150 lbs. I also work at a computer 8-10 hours a day and have poor posture. Was very healthy up until this.

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, neuropathy