It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

mom32 HB User
nerve conduction test

I am new on this particular board...I have started having muscle spasms and from what my doctor is saying neuropathy in my feet...she has ordered a nerve conduction test and from what I have read and seen it has me scared...has anyone had this test done? Can anyone tell me about there experience?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: nerve conduction test

This test can be slightly painful but it offers a look at your large fiber nerve function. I have had the nerve conduction test and the needle test more times than I can count, without taking off my shoes . I have never been so uncomfortable I have asked the tester to stop.

The pain of the test is far outweighed by the data that it provides. The tester will place electrodes on your legs and feet and direct electric shocks into your leg and foot that these electrodes will pick up. You will feel a brief spasm of the muscle with the shock that is not that bad.

The needle test, which you probably not have, is performed by a neurologist who places an electrode on your foot and then uses a slender needle that is inserted in your leg at different spots and a small current is then run through the needle. The needle is so slender that it will not even draw blood.

SFN is a different test.

Good luck and look forward to the outcome of your tests.

Last edited by tingles; 06-25-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
(female)

mom32 HB User

Thanks for the reply...I am suppose to have the test on my arms as well...your experience helped me kinda have an idea of what is to come...I will post details once I know the results....thank you again...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
(female)

nola HB Usernola HB Usernola HB User

Hi mom3nene2, I'm new here as well. I'm having my EMG/NCT done on the 24th and was wondering if you had yours done yet and how it went. I'm nervous about it but I know it's necessary in order to determine if I have PN. I just have a sinking feeling it will end up being fine, not point to any neuropathy and I will have gone through it for nothing. And then the docs still won't be able to tell me why my hands, arms, legs and feet go numb, why I have muscle spasms, tingling & burning, why pain shoots up and down them, etc. I've had so much testing and nothing shows up!

Hope your test went well and that you have a clear diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3nene2 View Post
I am new on this particular board...I have started having muscle spasms and from what my doctor is saying neuropathy in my feet...she has ordered a nerve conduction test and from what I have read and seen it has me scared...has anyone had this test done? Can anyone tell me about there experience?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi to you two scheduled for an EMG and probably a NCV test. Everyone experiences pain differently, but for me these tests weren't overly painful--just uncomfortable. Most importantly to be aware of, as tingles mentions below, is that these tests only show damage to long fiber nerves. If you have small fiber neuropathy, it will not show on these tests. Many neurologists aren't familiar with small fiber neuropathy (SFN) and will try to tell you you don't have neuropathy and even imply you are imagining your symptoms if your EMG and NCV are negative. If your tests are negative, ask your neurologist about SFN, and if you don't get information, find another neurologist. SFN isn't as common as other types of neuropathy, but many on this board have SFN. Keep in mind that "neuropathy" simply means nerve damage. It is not one disease with one cause, but rather there are many types of neuropathy and many different causes. In some cases the cause can't be found. Best of luck to you both. - Ruby

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
June89 (08-24-2012), nola (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks for your reply, Ruby8! I worry about all the points you've made. I've been going through testing for over a year now to figure out what's causing the numbness, tremors, and pain and other symptoms. And I've been through 2 different neurologists and 2 different doctors so far and only now - just now - are they finally getting to the EMG/NCT and thinking I may have PN. Can you tell me if there is any difference in symptoms with small fiber neuropathy as opposed to the long fiber kind? Or is it pretty much the same symptoms? I guess since I've been in limbo so long I'm really not expecting the EMG/NCT to reveal anything of course since that's the way it's been going for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby8 View Post
Most importantly to be aware of, as tingles mentions below, is that these tests only show damage to long fiber nerves. If you have small fiber neuropathy, it will not show on these tests. Many neurologists aren't familiar with small fiber neuropathy (SFN) and will try to tell you you don't have neuropathy and even imply you are imagining your symptoms if your EMG and NCV are negative. If your tests are negative, ask your neurologist about SFN, and if you don't get information, find another neurologist. SFN isn't as common as other types of neuropathy, but many on this board have SFN. Keep in mind that "neuropathy" simply means nerve damage. It is not one disease with one cause, but rather there are many types of neuropathy and many different causes. In some cases the cause can't be found. Best of luck to you both. - Ruby

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi again Nola - Getting to a diagnosis is the worst part. Our minds run wild with all the possibilities, and our coping mechanisms can't kick in because we don't yet know what we're dealing with. You may not have SFN at all. As to how SFN differs from neuropathies involving long fiber nerves, SFN is a sensory neuropathy but doesn't cause the weakness and balance issues like neuropathies involving long fiber nerves. Having SFN myself, I am very thankful that I can still hike and participate in all the activities I enjoy. Another difference is that SFN can affect the whole body, not just the extremeties. I don't know anything about spinal cysts, so have no understanding as to what about your symptoms makes your doctor think there is a cause other than the cyst. Keep on asking questions, and don't be satisfied until your doctor or a new doctor can give you answers that make sense. Do post what you find out, and I'll be pulling for you. - Ruby

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
(female)

Thanks again, Ruby8! My legs arms hands and feet are all affected by numbness and pain, tingling, burning, sometimes cold spots, etc. and tremors run from the back of my head to mid spine and down to mid arms. I'm glad to hear that you still go hiking! I love to hear that people can keep on doing what they enjoy while having to deal with neuropathies. I exercise daily too and lift weights. With your SFN, do you have any vision issues? Do you know if vision issues can be a part of PN? I've read conflicting info on it. My vision is blurry sometimes and I don't know how to describe it but there's a sensation of sensory overload some days, like I just can't stand looking at anything or it's just "too much". Especially when driving. Thanks so much for answering my questions and sharing some of your own experiences.

mom3nene2, sorry for asking all these questions on your thread and I hope you come visit soon to tell us how your test went!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
(female)

mom32 HB User

Thanks for all the responses to my post...I have yet to have the test done...I am scheduled to have them done on the 24th for my arms and 25th for my legs...they couldn't do them on the same day and I am sure I will be glad when that day comes...I will comment as soon as I do...any additionally advice will be helpful...

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
(female)

Best of luck to you! I'm having mine done on the 24th as well. One arm and one leg that day. I'm not looking forward to it but I know I have to get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3nene2 View Post
Thanks for all the responses to my post...I have yet to have the test done...I am scheduled to have them done on the 24th for my arms and 25th for my legs...they couldn't do them on the same day and I am sure I will be glad when that day comes...I will comment as soon as I do...any additionally advice will be helpful...

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
(female)

Good morning Nola - I personally don't have vision problems and haven't heard others mention vision problems with neuropathy, so I never researched that aspect. The tremors you mention also don't sound like what I know about SFN. Good luck to you and Mom3nene2 on your upcoming tests. - Ruby

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
nola (07-12-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
(female)

mom3nene2, did you have your test done today? How'd it go? I had mine done today, about to post on it.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

i just had a nerve conduction test last week. if you have ever had an 'electrical impulse' vibration on any part of your body, that is what it is mostly like. it will begin very softly and only get stronger as you are ready. i'm no heavy handler of pain -- and i thought the test was quite okay. i'm sure you will do well.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
(female)

She was supposed to have had it done today, so she's probably already been through it. I had mine done today as well. I handle pain pretty well and parts of my EMG/NCT were not painful and some were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaJo View Post
i just had a nerve conduction test last week. if you have ever had an 'electrical impulse' vibration on any part of your body, that is what it is mostly like. it will begin very softly and only get stronger as you are ready. i'm no heavy handler of pain -- and i thought the test was quite okay. i'm sure you will do well.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
(female)

mom32 HB User

I had the test done and according to the results the test were normal. So back to my doctor this week to see where we go from here. This is so confusing and scary for me because nothing explains the pain I am in my primary doctor says it is neuropathy but the Ncv shows nothing. I will post more after I see her this week. Any advice if anyone has went through this would be helpful because I am starting to think I am just losing it.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mom32
June89 (08-24-2012), nola (07-31-2012)
Reply Reply