It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
(male)

Destructodave HB User
Radial Nerve Palsy Recovery Symptoms

Hi, my name is David. I broke my humeris on March 24th. Its been about 4 months since the break and my hand/wrist still isn't working. I see the doc again the 11th of this month, and he's prob. gonna send me to the neurologist.

Im wondering what the symptoms of recovery are. I get some weird feelings through-out the arm, and if I tap on the back of the forearm, it sends shocks down to my fingers. Is that a good sign? I get some pain occasionally, and feels like muscle soreness near the elbow leading into the forearm.

Im hoping these are good signs. My hand is very tender near the thumb and index finger. I think I may have had my brace too tight, because after I started taking it off, I started getting these sensations back in my hand(tenderness) and other things. I kept the brace tight.

Anyways anyone who has recovered from this, what did it feel like? I'm just needing some reassurance if possible, this has been a long time and the last visit to the doc in May was very grim because I had no sensation. He was mentioning surgery. I came home and tried to move it every single day since, and this feeling has started up, esp after this and removing the brace.

Just looking for some reassurance that these are healing signs or not. I cant find anywhere on the net that talks about what it feels like when it starts coming back.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
(male)

ace021 HB User
Smile Re: Radial Nerve Palsy Recovery Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructodave View Post
Hi, my name is David. I broke my humeris on March 24th. Its been about 4 months since the break and my hand/wrist still isn't working. I see the doc again the 11th of this month, and he's prob. gonna send me to the neurologist.

Im wondering what the symptoms of recovery are. I get some weird feelings through-out the arm, and if I tap on the back of the forearm, it sends shocks down to my fingers. Is that a good sign? I get some pain occasionally, and feels like muscle soreness near the elbow leading into the forearm.

Im hoping these are good signs. My hand is very tender near the thumb and index finger. I think I may have had my brace too tight, because after I started taking it off, I started getting these sensations back in my hand(tenderness) and other things. I kept the brace tight.

Anyways anyone who has recovered from this, what did it feel like? I'm just needing some reassurance if possible, this has been a long time and the last visit to the doc in May was very grim because I had no sensation. He was mentioning surgery. I came home and tried to move it every single day since, and this feeling has started up, esp after this and removing the brace.

Just looking for some reassurance that these are healing signs or not. I cant find anywhere on the net that talks about what it feels like when it starts coming back.
Hi David,let me start off by saying that there is no need to worry
I too broke my humerus on feb 28 and just like you have radial nerve palsy..but the good news is it does get better.
The first signs u'll see is that the numbness u might feel at the back of ur hand and fingers will start to recede;the numbness should recede back to ur elbow,next ur brachioradialis muscles(look it up) will start to get back.
U will feel some weird sensations while ur muscles are recovering.
Then the good part starts
U'll get ur wrist extension back not full but partial(i got it back around the 4th month,u can expect urs too come back soon too)
this wrist extension will keep getting better and soon u'll be able to hold things..the shocks u feel when u tap ur hand is the sign of an irritated nerve.This tapping is known as Tinel test(look this up also)..
As the time passes (remember patience is the key here) u'll start feeling ur fingers again and will also be able to move them a little bit..its been 6 months since my injury and i am happy to say i have got most of my movement back i can extend all my fingers except my index finger and my thumb but i am hoping i will be able to extend them soon enough.
Hope this helps.I too underwent the same anxiety u are going through but it does get better..dont lose heart and i hope u recover soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply