It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
(male)

coman HB User
Spinal Stimulator

I have suffered from severe neuropathic pain in my leg due to a traumatic car accident in which i severed my spinal chord. I have tried everything from narcotic pain killers (which did help, if at least just to relax enough to sleep) such as fentanyl, oxycodone, hydrodone. My pain doc, because of my relatively young age (23) tells me I had to discontinue meds to avoid dependence, after 4 years of being on the drugs (didn't even taper down for withdrawl). I have also tried neuronitin, tramadol and various sleep aids, with no success. Frequently I am up for 2-3 days at a time shaking from the pain to the point where I can't possibly function at a normal level. This severely impacts my life in a domino effect as I am sure most of you know if you have experienced this. My pain doc has made plans to get a Spinal Stimulator attached to my spine for a trial period to see if it works.

My question is if anyone has tried, heard about, or knows the effectiveness of a spinal stimulator for neuropathic pain?

Last edited by coman; 08-16-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: TMI

The following user gives a hug of support to coman:
nola (08-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User
Re: Spinal Stimulator

I have a implant but I dont use it. They positioned it in the wrong spot and it does not reach my feet where I have the nerve damage. I totally believe they work if put in the right spot. They do a trial first anyway so you can check it out before the permanent one is put in. It sounds like given your situation it would be worth a trial run anyway. Goodluck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
(male)

RoboSpine79 HB User

I have been dealing with chronic pain from a spinal injury I suffered in the military. I have done everything in the pain management spectrum and still suffer through every day with pain. I have the Boston Scientific Neurostim implant. I was sure to have them implant it high enough to reach my trouble areas. The stim is just another tool or plan b for your pain management. It isn't going to cure anything. Use the trial as a time to see if it could work. The permanent stimulator works better than the temp....fyi.

Also, with the temp stim..beware of the first time you sneeze or fart when the stim is on high. Keep the stim low when changing positions. Haha

Good Luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to RoboSpine79 For This Useful Post:
coman (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
(male)

coman HB User

I do believe it is worth a try and will actually have the trial put in tomorrow. Robospine, thanks for the sneeze/fart precautions! I appreciate your inputs and good luck wishes

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
(male)

RoboSpine79 HB User

I just want to reiterate, make sure the electrode is well above the pain area. I have mine in the middle of my upper shoulder blades and I can hit everything.

I was on 400 Kadian and 120 Roxicet everyday before I had my implant. Although I am off all narcs I could use a mild one fore a break through med. I am working on finding a new doctor with my new insurance. The Veteran Affairs Medical System wanted to put me in a pain support group rather than treat me symptoms, so I have to go elsewhere.

What kind of stim are you getting fitted with?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
(male)

coman HB User

Right now I am hooked up to a st Jude medical multiprogram trial stimulator. It feels a little strange but I am starting to get used to it. I'm very happy to be getting moderate relief from it, bringing my pain to a manageable level.

I think the stim I'm hooked up to for the trial is pretty generic its big and bulky. Not sure what model the permanent stim is but I do know it's much, much smaller.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
(male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSpine79 View Post
The Veteran Affairs Medical System wanted to put me in a pain support group rather than treat me symptoms, so I have to go elsewhere.

What kind of stim are you getting fitted with?
Yeah my insurance wanted to put me in some support group also and take me off the meds. Its amazing to me how they think its all in your mind or something. They have no idea what a day in our lives is like. This site right here is my support group and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. Its been quite helpful at times over the years. Good luck with the stim coman, it sounds like your trial is going ok. My permanent stim is medtronic and it is very small, about the size of a large cell phone battery. Its a good product , its just in the wrong place.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

lisapoinsettia HB User

Hi i understand what you are going through I got injured in 2007 a table fell on my left ankle and i tried a lot of meds and it didnt work and i was having muscle spams, burning in ankle stabbing pains and my pain management recommed the spinal cord stimulator i did the trail for 1 week and 3 months later i got the permanent stimulatior installed in Aug. of 2008 it help take away at least 60% of my pain and i don't have to take all the medicine that i was on the problem that i had was to get the leads adjusted in the right place and the set the stimulator in right plkace i don't have problems. The only problems that i have now is that my ankle is swelling. And 2morrow my doctor is doing another emg to se if the nerves in my left leg done got worse because i am having a lot of swelling in both of my ankles. By the way i have a boston scientific stimulator install and so far i haven't had any problems with it.

Reply Reply