It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
(male)

ryan1990 HB User
Unhappy Please help me 22 year old with loads of problems !!!!

hi im a male 22 years old been diabetic for 4 years all these problems began a year ago when i was at the gym i wasnt doing anything strenuous just some light weight lifting and cardio i went to the gym one day as normal the next woke up had some tightness in my left thigh and since then my problems have been growing now i have pains in both my knees my hips my feet and my sacrum (lower back ) and a constant burning in my urine which give me pelvic stabbing pains when i first presented to the doctors with the problem in my back they thought it was caudea equine but had a mri and all was normal but at this point my walking was becoming bad iv had 2x mris of my lower back 1 emg test of my legs to rule out neuroapthy which came back normal my A1Cs have all been between 4.5 - 7.0 iv had numerous blood tests also went to the length of having a cytoscophy to see if there was any problem within my bladder there wasnt i last week went for another emg to rule anything out as recently iv been having a strange reaction after eating i get a strange shivery feeling then complete tightness of my legs my back my hips and a strange squeezing tightness in my jaw and throat coupled with constant lightheadness which leaves me struggling to breathe could this be some kind of sensory neuropathy or something worse i havent had a test for ms but i dont really think its that im still waiting for my lymes test to come back i also tested negative for coleics disease and autoimmune disorders im 22 and dont want to die im very anxious and depressed that i have lost control of my body PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to ryan1990:
June89 (10-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
(male)

sandeepsohal HB User
Re: Please help me 22 year old with loads of problems !!!!

You post really worries me. I read somewhere your weakness can become your strength. I would suggest you should fight with your physical situation. You can increase your will power by mediation & some yoga, eat healthy food, take sufficient sleep. Our body needs sufficient sleep and same way mind also.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi Ryan - I feel for you being so young and having this terrible experience. Your symptoms are different from what I have read on this board before, so I hope someone reads your post who can relate more exactly with your symptoms. I did want to reach out to you though with a hug and with a few thoughts I had.

People with diabetes often have their small fiber nerves affected and thus are said to have small fiber neuropathy (SFN). This is a type of sensory neuropathy, and this condition does not show up on an EMG test. While your symptoms are not typical for SFN, e.g., you don't mention any numbness, SFN can cause sensory problems all over your body, and it can affect your urinary function. You mention a tightness in your legs and back and a squeezing tightness in your jaw. With my SFN, I do get a pulling kind of tightness across my stomach area sometimes that sounds similar to your experience.

I think A1C scales are different in different countries, but in the U.S. the newly revised scale is 4.8-5.6 as normal. So if you're having A1C tests above 5.6, perhaps getting your glucose levels lower would help your symptoms or help prevent any future neuropathy.

The fear and depression you're experiencing (and who wouldn't under these circumstances) might be making your symptoms worse than they need to be, so I agree with the previous poster that meditation and yoga could help. Also, if you need an antidepressant to get you through this period, don't shy away from using one. I like cymbalta because it helps with my actual SFN symptoms, but it may also help with your depression.

Hang in there. Getting to the point of having a diagnosis is often the hardest part. After that you know what you are dealing with, and the human spirit is marvelous in adjusting to life's changes. Do post how you are doing, as I, and I am sure others, will be thinking about you. Hugs - Ruby

The following user gives a hug of support to Ruby8:
sconzette (09-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
June89 (10-05-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
(male)

ryan1990 HB User

hi ruby thanks for the advice and help its really strange since i dont get any tingling or numbness in my legs or feet which seems to be what everyone with PN complains about but i get severe cramps in my legs and lower back go into my throat and cause then jaw tension and then radiate down my buttocks which is strange feels like there is a lack of oxygen going to my muscles but when i had them checked the nurse said i had perfect pulses and sensation in both feet i also get extreme stabbing pains in both my hips and my knees like someone is driving a knife into my bones the pain leaves me breathless sometimes i just want to cry i thought it was arthritis when it first started but have been checked for it because i am always really stiff in my knees hips lower back and feet can neuropathy make you really stiff ? my feet burn when i wear shoes but dont when i go barefoot which is strange the cramps seem to be worst when i am cold or just sitting down i get a shiver and then my muscles start cramping which is another strange thing but i dont see how it is neuroapthy causing it iv had two clean emgs but surly if the damage was this bad it would show up would you suggest a nerve and skin biopsy and possibly looking into MS ? its really starting to effect me walking as i always feel so stiff in the hips and the aches really slow me down but the only burning i get is in both knees and the feet when i wear shoes but all the other times my feet feel normal i am very depressed and scared i will end up limbless and crippled im so young as well and feel my life has been stolen from me my sugars are well controlled so i dont see why im in so much pain i have tested negative for all autoimmune disorders and my lyme test came back negative which rules out another thing the constant urine pain gets me down as well basically my whole lower half of my body is messed up and now im fearing whatever it is is damaging my ability to breathe and i fear i wont be able to keep living for much longer

Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi Ryan - Sending tons of hugs your way. Doesn't sound like any type of neuropathy I have heard of or anything else I could even guess at. If your doctors can't figure out what is wrong, is there any place where you live that you can go for more specialized care. Like in the U.S., there is the Mayo Clinic, university hospitals, etc. Also, while you're working on that, getting an antidepressant may help to get you through this period until you get a diagnosis. And, there are meds specifically for muscle cramps that might help you. Do you have family support? Reach out for all the help you can get. Perhaps if you post your story on a different HealthBoard, e.g., the Neuromuscular Diseases Board, you can connect with someone of similar symptoms. Google any terms, diseases, symptoms, etc. that might lead you to some answers. Gee, I wish I could be of more help. Please continue to post how you are doing, as I will be thinking of you and wishing you well. More hugs - Ruby

Reply Reply