It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
(male)

willcross80 HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy

Just wanted to say thanks for your kind words. Ive had some luck with the lyrica/gabapentin. Yea, the pain in my hands and feet gets so overwhelming but have to keep going. Thanks again.
William

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
(male)

willcross80 HB User

I will try the patches. Yea, started gabapentin , seems to help out. Do you remember when your dad got this and what he would do for relief?
Thanks for your kind words and information.
William

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
(male)

willcross80 HB User

Thanks for your story and useful information. You said that you have bladder problems? I have bladder problems also and pressure in the lower stomach area at night. Thats where all this started. Doctors thought it was my prostate but im reading all these things about nerve entrapment etc. Did you ever have pain or pressure in the lower stomach area? Thanks again

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
(female)

oldgal65 HB User

I got peripheral neuropathy 9 months ago following parathyroid surgery at age 64. Finally got prescription for Amitriptyline. For me it is a total miracle drug. It is a tricyclic anti-depressant that is also sometimes used for nerve pain. Dr. said to start with 25 mg. and work up to 100 if I needed to. After 1 DAY all of the symptoms were greatly reduced to the point they are only mildly bothersome if at all. I never needed to increase the dose. I experimented with stopping it, thinking maybe it had gone away on its own. After 2 days, all the symptoms were back. Started taking again, and symptoms went away. I would highly recommend trying it. It may not help everyone, but I am shouting from the rooftops about how it helped me.

The following user gives a hug of support to oldgal65:
1improved (12-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to oldgal65 For This Useful Post:
1improved (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

Amitriptyline is great for nerve pain but be carefull i gained almost 100 pounds in 2 years on this medication. i know it was the medication because as soon as i stoped i lost over 30 pounds in a month and still losing.

cocoa

Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
(female)

1improved HB User

Thank you for your input is very much appreciated.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
(female)

oldgal65 HB User

Thanks-so far I'm okay. I exercise at least an hour a day and am not a person who gains weight easily-lucky in that way. Sorry for your experience, though. That would be awful!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User
Smile Re: peripheral neuropathy

hello everyone especially willcross80, on this board i am cactus al, i was stationed in az for the navy recruiting command..sure ets ho over there..i want to share some of my diabetic peripheral neuropathy, yes i experiencve the same burning tingling swollen red feet. i have delt with for the past 10 years and almost 4 months ago my stroke..life has a way to push us to the brink.

i have and still take cymbalta and lyrica, lidicane for the hands, some days ok but most suck. it all started in vietnam 1967 to 1969, i was a riverrat and we patroled inland waterways to the dmz, lots of firefights nut isuffered no injuries...until i was home from nam 35 years then came all hell due to exposure to agent orange a defoilient with nasty chemicals, i have aopen heart surgery 2 times i wentprotacol level 3 and a pacemaker inserted eye surgery and my stroke.
i will neverquit i love my family my children and life in general, life is not fair..please keep a positive attitude and lots of enthusiam.. iam bummed i can no longer parachute
regards and a jouyous christmas and whatever comes next tear
cactus al

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User

I find that acupuncture helps with the nerve pain. It doesn't take it all away but at least I can live a better life. At first I had to have like 5-6 sessions and then every 7 wks for maintenance. Check with your insurance - some plans now cover it. Also, has anybody tried Turmeric?? I've just heard about it and will research more.

Best wishes.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
(female)

oldgal65 HB User

This is now several months past my last post where I said I was taking amitriptyline 25 mg. It continued to work, but I did gain weight as another poster mentioned-10 lb. in 2 months. Started taking something called NerveFix by Natural Care. It works pretty well, but is more expensive than Amitrip. and does not work as well, but keeps the neuropathy within tolerable limits. Another something to try. I did find out from my doc, then researched it out, that the data on Gababentin was not well researched (Can't remember the details now, but may have even been faked data). So if you are taking it, look up that possibility. If the Nerve Fix didn't work, and I was really suffering, I would go back on the Amitrip. if it didn't cause too much weight gain.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
(female)

patricia43m HB User

Have you tried B12? Look it up. I can't say it absolutely works. However, I started B12 shots for weight loss and all of a sudden the numbness in my right hand and foot got better. I had the symptoms every day for 8 months and then after my second B12 shot, it was gone. Can't prove the shot did it but I looked it up and some say B12 helps peripheral neuropahty and is an easy thing to try. Might be able to take in pill form too. Different kinds of B12 by the way so need to get the correct kind I assume.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcross80 View Post
32 years old. Severe neuropathy in hands and feet. Is there anyone out there that i can talk to about this? I feel like im slowing dying. Started going to the Barrow institute in phoenix. How can a young person get through life with this. My hands and feet turn bright red from the nerves firing off. its hard to look at.
My nerve pain has now spread to my head and almost every part of my body. Have bowel and bladder problems to. The feeling of clothes on me feels like burlap and feels restrictive now I feel Uncordinated loss of equilibream had hernia surgery and now groin pain, also presure in head and hissing noise in ears, feel like in a world of my own this all can't be neuropathy can it? Very shaky and feel electric shocks through body and feels like something pushing down on my shoulders.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgal65 View Post
This is now several months past my last post where I said I was taking amitriptyline 25 mg. It continued to work, but I did gain weight as another poster mentioned-10 lb. in 2 months. Started taking something called NerveFix by Natural Care. It works pretty well, but is more expensive than Amitrip. and does not work as well, but keeps the neuropathy within tolerable limits. Another something to try. I did find out from my doc, then researched it out, that the data on Gababentin was not well researched (Can't remember the details now, but may have even been faked data). So if you are taking it, look up that possibility. If the Nerve Fix didn't work, and I was really suffering, I would go back on the Amitrip. if it didn't cause too much weight gain.
that was me with amitrip. after i got off of that i was put on tegretol maybe this something you can try it did work but after being on it for 2 years my body became amune to it now tring to find somethin else right now just started keppra

good luck cocoa

Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Red face Re: peripheral neuropathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa100 View Post
that was me with amitrip. after i got off of that i was put on tegretol maybe this something you can try it did work but after being on it for 2 years my body became amune to it now tring to find somethin else right now just started keppra

good luck cocoa
Any of you have head presure and body wide pain with severe confusion? Any suggestions? I am desperate !

Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Cocoa. I want to reply to your situation on neuropathy. I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy which was brought on by agent orange during my running thru the jungle of Vietnam.

I have been fighting this lousy disease for over twelve years and during this period I have been on neurotin, cymbalta' lyrics, topomax, and effexor was the last straw. I am on cymbalta and lyrics now. I have so many other issues to deal with including heart,colostomy as a result of colon cancer.

Approx seven months ago I had an ischemic stroke what made topping on the cake. I maintain my pain mostly using 10 mg of Vicodin up to three times per day. I almost forgot that I have sever swelling in both hands 24 hers daily.
I hear you out there and remember life is nor free. My secret is to keep the eye on the ball
Have a wonderful wife and family support. Attitude. Enthusiasm

Bless you all I know it tough but if life were easy it wouldn't be challenging

My best wish of health happiness and winning the power ball

Cactus al. Aka. Allen. Aloha

Reply Reply