It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon PA USA
Posts: 5
gpk17042 HB User
Neuropathy Treatment

I hear pros and cons about B-6 and B-12 but I am wondering if anyone has experience with what I will call "miracle formulas" like the Neuropathy Treatment.
Their price is expensive. Thse kinds of supplement formulas always seem to be so expensive. Does anyone know of an effective neuropathy treatment that is reasonable in cost?

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OZ
Posts: 382
Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

The b6 you got to be very carefull with as to much can actually cause neuropathy, B12 methylcobalamin is safe though, if you are deficient in B12 it will certainly help.
Do you know the cause of your neuropathy ? a bit more info may help.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
gpk17042 (11-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon PA USA
Posts: 5
gpk17042 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

My neuropathy is caused by SLE/Prednisone and subsequent connective tissue/blood vessel deterioration. After some research here and elsewhere, I've realized that my all natural food based vitamins may be giving me too much B6. Because of time constraints, I was only pouring my daily prescription meds and my fish oil. This went on for over a week and then I noticed my foot pain was drastically reduced. I could tolerate walking barefoot!

I think I am on to something... I will add back only their natural multi-vitamin. It is said to contain all known and unknown vitamins. Everytime a new vitamin is discovered, they already find it in this product.

Last edited by gpk17042; 11-13-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: non translatable wording

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpk17042 View Post
My neuropathy is caused by SLE/Prednisone and subsequent connective tissue/blood vessel deterioration. After some research here and elsewhere, I've realized that my all natural food based vitamins may be giving me too much B6. Because of time constraints, I was only pouring my daily prescription meds and my fish oil. This went on for over a week and then I noticed my foot pain was drastically reduced. I could tolerate walking barefoot!

I think I am on to something... I will add back only their natural multi-vitamin. It is said to contain all known and unknown vitamins. Everytime a new vitamin is discovered, they already find it in this product.
Hi, can I ask what type of foot pain you go through? My neuropathy is in my feet and legs. My feet have pain mainly on my arches and sides of feet. Hard to tolerate shoes on for very long. Feels like open sores on sides of feet and archers hurt so much, I can't stand walking for very long. I also get a lot of cramping. My legs are an entire different issue with all types of different pain. Is that what you experience in your feet?

My neuoropathy is due to my MS but neurologist hasn't said anything about it. So don't know whay type or what it is all about. My pain specialist just told me it is progressive. Trying to research this but have not found a site that really explains much.

I do take methyl b-12's when I can remember to. Was taking a separate B6 but haven't done so in a long time. When I take vitamins during the week, make sure to take the B-12's along with a mega B and take D3 and fish oils. Plus, vitamin c's.

Haven't felt any difference but maybe because I am not really consistant.

What vitamin's are you talking about that helps you?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon PA USA
Posts: 5
gpk17042 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

I hope my information is helpful...

Concerning my foot pain, it is a burning sensation and actually somewhat numb at the same time. I also get shooting needlelike pains that go through my toes. It is as if someone is taking a long needle and pushing it from side to side going through all the toes at the same time. Sometimes I also have heel pain that is like someone is pushing really hard on the side of my heel and that is very painful. Sometimes I try to distract myself from that pain by rubbing my foot. As far as the foot pains goes though distracting maneuvers don't really work.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am now doing well with the foot pain as it is quite minimal at this time. As I noted then, I believe that I was overdosing myself with vitamin B6. I have it on good authority from a neurologist who works with a family member that a dose of B6, 50 mg a day is all that is really needed and this is what he prescribes for people with neuropathy who are B6 deficient.

There are a few things I do nutritionally that I think make a difference. Number one is the fish oil that I mentioned in previous post. I take 9, 1g capsules a day, each capsule gives me 300 mg of EPA for total 2.7 g of EPA each day. EPA is linked to the anti-inflammatory effect. I know of some who take 10g of EPA daily. Fish oil contains particular prostaglandins that are anti-inflammatory. This anti-inflammatory quality helps fight the inflammatory nature of my Lupus. Specifically, I started taking the fish oil to help protect my transplant kidney from the inflammatory effects of the Lupus. It turns out that I get a general anti-inflammatory protection that seems to be beneficial for my neuropathy. In addition to the fish oil I take two other nutritional supplements that are considered anti-inflammatory depending on the sources you read. The first of these two is digestive enzymes in the second is a probiotic formula.

As far as what might help you with these products, you can buy them at GNC or even a Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart sells an enteric-coated fish oil that has no fishy aftertaste because it digest in the small intestine and not the stomach. As far as the digestive enzymes and the probiotic are concerned, buy broad-spectrum formulas that have the widest range of helpful bacteria and digestive enzymes.

As I am sure you know, MS is an inflammatory disease so it seems helpful if you can get on anti-inflammatory regimen. I am also sure you know that brain function is variable with MS so I am not surprised that you do not remember to take your supplements.

If possible have a friend remind you to take them or put them in an area where you will see them as you go about daily routine. Try to take them with food. You mentioned mega B. that is one thing I would avoid as I think most of those vitamins are wasted. A 50 mg B. complex formula, 1 tablet taken with each meal is probably adequate to supply your needs and not have you spend more money than necessary.
Take Care,
GPK

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more detail

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OZ
Posts: 382
Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

I think your doing very well with the choice of supplements for your condition, glad you noticed the decline in symptoms when you backed off the B6 [ you were certainly on to something very important ], the only other supplement that may help is R - Lipoic acid 100 mg x 1 a day [ take it on an empty stomache for max absorption same as the B12 methylcobalamin.

Diabetic neuropathy patients seem to do well with R L acid, it is a very strong antioxident and helps with small fibre nerves, the burning feeling comes from small fibre nerves.

best of luck to you.
regards
Aussie

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
gpk17042 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. I tried to post last night but my laptop crashed. I totally agree with you, on incorporating a diet that helps control inflammation.

I had read that for neuropathy, the Methyl B-12 and Benfotiamine (B1) are suppose to be the best as they stay in your system. I need to add the B6 and start being more consistent with taking them. I average probably three days a week sometimes more.

I do eat for breakfast, plain greek yogurt and I add frozen blueberries, raw cashews and top it off with 2 heaping tablespoons of blonde raw flax seed.

I used to take the acidophilus pearls and took a lot of enzymes, one of them papaya enzyme but now that I am on the higher dose of neurotin and added the small dose of loritab, I am to regular and was afraid the additional enzymes would make it worse so discontinued.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2012 at 11:05 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
I think your doing very well with the choice of supplements for your condition, glad you noticed the decline in symptoms when you backed off the B6 [ you were certainly on to something very important ], the only other supplement that may help is R - Lipoic acid 100 mg x 1 a day [ take it on an empty stomache for max absorption same as the B12 methylcobalamin.

Diabetic neuropathy patients seem to do well with R L acid, it is a very strong antioxident and helps with small fibre nerves, the burning feeling comes from small fibre nerves.

best of luck to you.
regards
Aussie
I am going to have to add the R-Lipoic acid. That is very good information and I did not know that you should take the B12 on an empty stomache.

Thank you Aussie!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon PA USA
Posts: 5
gpk17042 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

You seem to have a good knowledge base concerning Neuropathy and MS.

I just recently heard of the benfotiamine and I went and read about it. If I understand what I read, I believe it elevates your glutathione level and that is the main benefit it seems to have in terms of helping decrease the neuropathy. Again if my understanding is correct it increases levels of glutathione and helps address the neuropathy in the same way your Neurontin does. It might be possible to take less of the Neurontin by using the benfotiamine supplement.

In the paragraph you mention acidophilus, you talk about Neurontin and Lortab possibly having an adverse effect (such as diarrhea?) if taken with too many enzymes. I am not aware of any such connection but since our metabolisms are particularly individual, you may have such a reaction. Such a reaction may also be related to your MS, so it is hard to know the cause.

In terms of anti-inflammatory response, I personally believe the digestive enzymes to be so valuable that I feel you should try to incorporate them if at all possible. I would only make changes slowly, only adding or removing one supplement at a time so as to hopefully see how that supplement helps or hinders your progress. So with respect to digestive enzymes, start out slowly, using a low potency product on a daily or every other day basis. Since you know your body, you will likely be able to determine any benefit that they might provide.

Speaking of supplements, Aussie recommended R. Lipoic Acid, 100 mg one-time daily taken on an empty stomach. Doing a little research on this supplement, it seems to be very helpful in terms of anti-inflammatory response as well. I just ordered the Lipoic Acid and the Benfotiamine this morning. I intend to add them to my regimen and I am hoping for the best, hopefully even better pain relief than I already have from my neuropathy. I will also add the Methyl B12 that you spoke of but I think I will do that after I determine my response to the two new supplements.

Take Care,
GPK

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OZ
Posts: 382
Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

I need to add the B6 and start being more consistent with taking them.
........................................ ........................................ ...
LasVegasgirl

Methylcobalaim is the active form of B12 which means it is ready to be used by the cells, B12 cynocobalamin is not the active form and has to be converted by our bodies which we end up getting about only 3% of the active form, Cyno will still work but takes a lot longer to build up good levels.

With Benfotiamine I have heard good and not so good reports about it, as we are not all exactly the same but I still think it's worth a trial just in case it does help in your case.

As b12 needs the other b vitamins to help it work the best, I really think there would be enough B6 in a good quality complex B, but taken B6 by itself seems a bit of a scary option to me, knowing that it can be toxic to nerves when taken to much and the amount can vary from one individual to another, I have heard of some even having to back off their multi B as the b6 levels had risen to high.

good luck
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 11-15-2012 at 12:32 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon PA USA
Posts: 5
gpk17042 HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

Aussie,
I agree on the B6 but I am not too worried because I will not take more than the 50mg the neurologist recommended to my brother and I will be on the look out for symptom changes and I will also add the Methylcobalaim you speak so highly of.

As an aside, I thought my worsening foot pain was caused by onions as my pain did get slightly better when I stopped eating them. This was a problem because it is hard to cook a lot of dishes withhout them. I think I shall try to add them again. I wonder if they are a good source of vitamin B6? I will check and let you and Las Vegas Girl know what I find...

Quick internet search shows some B6 but less than 1 mg per 100 gm. It does show considerable content of several minerals.

As I go forward, I will be paying attention to my intake more closely.
Cheers!
GPK

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Neuropathy Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpk17042 View Post
You seem to have a good knowledge base concerning Neuropathy and MS.

I just recently heard of the benfotiamine and I went and read about it. If I understand what I read, I believe it elevates your glutathione level and that is the main benefit it seems to have in terms of helping decrease the neuropathy. Again if my understanding is correct it increases levels of glutathione and helps address the neuropathy in the same way your Neurontin does. It might be possible to take less of the Neurontin by using the benfotiamine supplement.

In the paragraph you mention acidophilus, you talk about Neurontin and Lortab possibly having an adverse effect (such as diarrhea?) if taken with too many enzymes. I am not aware of any such connection but since our metabolisms are particularly individual, you may have such a reaction. Such a reaction may also be related to your MS, so it is hard to know the cause.

In terms of anti-inflammatory response, I personally believe the digestive enzymes to be so valuable that I feel you should try to incorporate them if at all possible. I would only make changes slowly, only adding or removing one supplement at a time so as to hopefully see how that supplement helps or hinders your progress. So with respect to digestive enzymes, start out slowly, using a low potency product on a daily or every other day basis. Since you know your body, you will likely be able to determine any benefit that they might provide.

Speaking of supplements, Aussie recommended R. Lipoic Acid, 100 mg one-time daily taken on an empty stomach. Doing a little research on this supplement, it seems to be very helpful in terms of anti-inflammatory response as well. I just ordered the Lipoic Acid and the Benfotiamine this morning. I intend to add them to my regimen and I am hoping for the best, hopefully even better pain relief than I already have from my neuropathy. I will also add the Methyl B12 that you spoke of but I think I will do that after I determine my response to the two new supplements.

Take Care,
GPK
I did take the acidophilus pearls today. I did not know that these help with inflammation. Will start the enzymes tomorrow and will pick up the R-Lipoic acid along with B6.

I have researched some on MS over the years since being dx for ten years but have had it for about 18 years or more. I know nothing about what neuropathy is but did do some research on repairing nerve damage because I thought in the beginning my issues were from my MS. That is where I came across the B1.



This has become a very helpful thread!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Muscular Oedema Best Treatment? Demelsa46 General Health 0 05-29-2011 02:50 PM
woke up with a cold--should i hold off on starting prednisone treatment? pinkrobot General Health 1 10-07-2010 09:09 AM
Slipped Rib Pain/Prolotherapy Treatment emeraldisle2147 General Health 0 10-04-2008 11:25 AM
mallaria and toiphoid treatment manzoorkhas General Health 2 09-25-2008 11:40 PM
what is treatment for side effect of diahrea caused by taking an antibiotic pawlikwin General Health 5 07-16-2008 06:42 AM

Tags
neuropathy of limbs



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



tingles (48), Aussie100 (34), RisingParrot (34), daisymaegrl (33), Ruby8 (27), captinsane1 (25), June89 (22), awlright (10), LasVegasgirl (10), jverive (9)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!