It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

sconzette HB User
Unhappy Sensory Neuropathy and Vit Relief

Could anyone please tell me what you consider a safe amount of Vit B6. I have read over and over again on how too much Vit B6 can cause Neuropathy or symptoms of Neuropathy. But yet, B-100 as some peeps have mentioned has 100 mg of B6. Im wonderen if that is still considered "too high".
Also, Ive read there is no toxic limt for B12. When my neuropathy symptoms started, my B12 was not abnormal, but on the low side of range (384). My PCP said to take B12 vit. He retested my blood after 3 mos, it went up to 1280 with no symtom relief ( pins and needles in legs, arms and hands, and burning feet!) Doc said to stop taking the B12, that it was too high and out of range. Im wonderen if I should have kept taking the B12. I started taking R-lipoic Acid (100mg) and Acetyl L Carntine (250) one week ago. I also take Vit C (500) Mag, some Vit B's and Fish oils. Hoping to get some relief soon! Does anyone know how much Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is safe for Neuropathy?.Should I take Vit B1 does anyone know if it will help? I want to take whatever It takes , but I dont want to bombard my system if they (vits) dont work or hurt myself in another way.
So far the Doctors dont know whats causing my Neuropathy. I am considered prediabetic, GTT was 167 A1C was 5.7, Doctors dont think that the "diabetes" caused my neuropathy!! So frustrating not having a real cause for all this pain and sufferen! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Marie

Last edited by sconzette; 11-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sconzette:
June89 (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

June89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB User
Re: Sensory Neuropathy and Vit Relief

Hi
B1, B6 and B12 are very important to me as if I have low values then it can contribute to painful nerve pain in your feet & hands. B12 range is 140-780 (mine is 487) taking1200mc/day. B1 range is 7-44 (mine is 15). B6 range is 20-96 (mine is 16) the DR. put me on B50 multi vitamin to increase the B6. I take 2000 of Vit D, calcium as well. I know there are other vitamins & minerals to take. Currently this is what I take. Best of luck. June

Last edited by June89; 11-27-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

The following user gives a hug of support to June89:
sconzette (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
(female)

sconzette HB User

[QUOTE=June89;5095761]Hi
B1, B6 and B12 are very important to me as if I have low values then it can contribute to painful nerve pain in your feet & hands. B12 range is 140-780 (mine is 487) taking1200mc/day. B1 range is 7-44 (mine is 15). B6 range is 20-96 (mine is 16) the DR. put me on B50 multi vitamin to increase the B6. I take 2000 of Vit D, calcium as well. I know there are other vitamins & minerals to take. Currently this is what I take. Best of luck. June
Hi June
Thanks for your response. Do you have Neuropathy? I see you take B1, that is the only B Vit I do not take. Do you think I should try taking B1? A Bld test showed my B12 was 385, Dr put me on 1,000 for 3 mos, it shot up to 1280, he said to stop taking it. After reading about all the pple on here that are taking high doses of B12 I decided to start taking it again. I think Doctors do not have enough training with Vits. How long have you been taking vits and have you had any improvement? Thanks again. Marie

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

sconzette HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by June89 View Post
Hi
Hi June
Thank you for your response. Hope your feeling well today. My B12 level just came back at 1280, so as you can see Im not deffecient. My PCP told me to STOP taking B12(cold turkey) because it was too high. My Foot Doctor gave me a "medical pill" called Metanx, it has 2000mg B12 per pill, he said to keep taking it , twice a day for my SNneuropathy even though my lab work says it high. (The Endo and Neur do not think I have Diabetic neuropathy, meanwhile Im Prediabetic accoring to a 2hr GTT!! Doctors can not make up their minds if my neuropathy is from the prediabetes, they say my BG numbers were not high enough to cause nerve damage..) So im going to take B12 (metanx) anyway in spite of having a high level of B12, along with Folate and B6. (Was not tested for B1 and B6 so I dont even know what those levels are). Do you think I should include B1, has it helped you?
What do you take these supplements for and are they helping you?
Any advice or opinion would be appreciated. Best of luck to you too. Marie

Last edited by sconzette; 11-30-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added Info

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
(female)

MISSAMYJO HB User
Smile Re: Sensory Neuropathy and Vit Relief

Hi Marie: This is the first I have heard of the Metanx used by someone. My neuro gave me a prescription for that. It is really expensive and do you think it does anything? I take venlefaxine and Celebrex (I have arthritis too) as well as high vitamin D (I have been deficient in that with very low levels for more than a year). Thanks and have a good feeling day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconzette View Post
Hi June
Thank you for your response. Hope your feeling well today. My B12 level just came back at 1280, so as you can see Im not deffecient. My PCP told me to STOP taking B12(cold turkey) because it was too high. My Foot Doctor gave me a "medical pill" called Metanx, it has 2000mg B12 per pill, he said to keep taking it , twice a day for my SNneuropathy even though my lab work says it high. (The Endo and Neur do not think I have Diabetic neuropathy, meanwhile Im Prediabetic accoring to a 2hr GTT!! Doctors can not make up their minds if my neuropathy is from the prediabetes, they say my BG numbers were not high enough to cause nerve damage..) So im going to take B12 (metanx) anyway in spite of having a high level of B12, along with Folate and B6. (Was not tested for B1 and B6 so I dont even know what those levels are). Do you think I should include B1, has it helped you?
What do you take these supplements for and are they helping you?
Any advice or opinion would be appreciated. Best of luck to you too. Marie

Reply Reply