It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Lipoic Acid

I wanted to let Aussie know that I started the Lipoic Acid and it has helped with the burning pain. However, I did forget to take it for a week and have the burning is horrible again. That is how I know it helps! Lol!

My question: I have been taking 100 mg a day. But, looking at buying it again, I see where you can buy it that also has L-Cartine but the dosage for the Lipoic Acid is 600 mg and the L-Cartine is 1600 mg.

It appears high but may be okay.

Does anyone take this high of a dose? I decided not to buy it yet until I read more about it.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, glad you found relief with the R- lipoic acid, the 600 mg is probably the older alpha lipoic acid which is not as strong as the R- lipoic acid form, the old alpha lipoic acid max per day is 1800mg but the newer form R-lipoic acid max is only 300 mg daily.
I hope this helps.
Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lipoic Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
Hi, glad you found relief with the R- lipoic acid, the 600 mg is probably the older alpha lipoic acid which is not as strong as the R- lipoic acid form, the old alpha lipoic acid max per day is 1800mg but the newer form R-lipoic acid max is only 300 mg daily.
I hope this helps.
Aussie
I sure am glad I posted that question to you. Geez, you were right on! Dang you know your stuff!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
(male)

chaines HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasgirl View Post
I wanted to let Aussie know that I started the Lipoic Acid and it has helped with the burning pain. However, I did forget to take it for a week and have the burning is horrible again. That is how I know it helps! Lol!
My question: I have been taking 100 mg a day. But, looking at buying it again, I see where you can buy it that also has L-Cartine but the dosage for the Lipoic Acid is 600 mg and the L-Cartine is 1600 mg.

It appears high but may be okay.

Does anyone take this high of a dose? I decided not to buy it yet until I read more about it.

Thanks for any advice.

Good Morning LasVegasGirl,

I too started 600mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid and 1000mg of Acetly L-Cartine once daily. The Alpha in the morning and the Acetyl in the evening. Both supplements were started on the same day so I'm unsure of which one is helping most. They are helping though!

One negative side effect was that I felt so much better that I went out on a short hike with my dogs (for the first time in 2 years). Now I've been in serious pain for the past 4 days. It was awesome to get outside and enjoy life a little more but I need to keep to my limits.

These two supplements are a great addition to my prescription meds and make life a little less burny on the legs.

-Chris

Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaines View Post
Good Morning LasVegasGirl,

I too started 600mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid and 1000mg of Acetly L-Cartine once daily. The Alpha in the morning and the Acetyl in the evening. Both supplements were started on the same day so I'm unsure of which one is helping most. They are helping though!

One negative side effect was that I felt so much better that I went out on a short hike with my dogs (for the first time in 2 years). Now I've been in serious pain for the past 4 days. It was awesome to get outside and enjoy life a little more but I need to keep to my limits.

These two supplements are a great addition to my prescription meds and make life a little less burny on the legs.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

So glad you were up to getting out. While you over did it, I bet it was well worth it anyway You will just have to take it down a notch and see how much you can handle. But yes, it sure feels great to be outside with the pooches.

I have a Doberman who is only four years old. I used to take him for 2 mile walks every night. Now I can't but at least we live on 3/4 acre property and he has me outside every night throwing his ball for him. Plus, I have 3 huge walk-in bird avairies and a Barbados ram that need daily attention twice a day. So I am outside in the morning and evenings no matter how bad I feel. We also have four cats, miniature macaw and a water turtle. They all don't understand illness and keep me busy. Sometimes, I think I can't care for them anymore but then I think they are really my main enjoyment in life and would miss them if they were gone.

Try to keep doing the things you once loved to do even if it is driving them somewhere to run on their own and you watch. I take my dog out to the desert for short walks and sometimes let him off his leash to chase rabbits. Not as often as I used to but we do wonder out on occassion.

I am not taking the L-cartine but know the L-alpha Lipoic helps with the burning. Thanks to Mr. Aussie here. He will hopefully let us know his thoughts on the L-cartine. I was thinking of adding that one too.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, I don't have any personal experience with carnitine but I believe it does work well with lipoic acid, I have read that the carnitine may take longer to show results than the lipoic acid does,I think it is a good combo though.

Fish oil is worth thinking about as well, as it has anti inflamatory
properties which could help with the inflamed nerves.

regards
Aussie

Reply Reply