It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
(male)

airskypony HB User
Question Neuropathy and Pain Control

It's been a while since I've posted, so forgive me if I cover a topic already covered buy someone else.

I live with never-ending pain. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. It is the strangest thing to have feet so numb that my Podiatrist can actually remove ingrown toenails without anesthetizing the toe. And then have pain so severe that even my morphine and gabapentin can't knock it below a 5 or 6.

In order to keep my diabetes [A1C 5.7] and blood pressure [126/60] under control I exercise on a recumbent bike no less than four days a week. I also utilize isometrics and hand weights, along with stretching and balance exercises. However, any kind of exercise does have a price to pay, and in my case it's increased pain that night.

To counter the chronic, ongoing pain, I take one 30 mg ER ZMorphine a day. I also take no more than 1 Gabapettin 2 times a day [my Nephrologist told me that was the maximum allowed due to kidney problems]. Along with these prescribed meds, I take Tylenol Rapid Release and an Ativan tablet. For break through pain, I have 15 mg IR Morpine. And when the meds are not touching the pain, I use the OTC cremes.

I'll admit, there are times that the pain is beyond anything I think I can go on with, but somehow I wake up to brave another day, as best as I can. However, the pain does serve to tire me out and remove energy from my body.

So, what do you do with your pain, and how do you control it? I've been to years and years of group support, and learned to use biofeedback and when the insurance paid for it, I even loved acupuncture, as it gave a brief time of release. However, insurance stopped paying for it and on my retirement income, acupuncture is now a distant memory of better days.

I'd love to hear from you as to your ideas and treatments. Maybe I'll learn something new to try, and maybe I'll be able to get to sleep before five or six in the morning

Thanks for listening to my story.

Pastor Paul

Last edited by airskypony; 12-27-2012 at 10:58 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to airskypony:
June89 (01-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
(male)

NewmanB1 HB User
Re: Neuropathy and Pain Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by airskypony View Post
It's been a while since I've posted, so forgive me if I cover a topic already covered buy someone else.

I live with never-ending pain. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. It is the strangest thing to have feet so numb that my Podiatrist can actually remove ingrown toenails without anesthetizing the toe. And then have pain so severe that even my morphine and gabapentin can't knock it below a 5 or 6.

In order to keep my diabetes [A1C 5.7] and blood pressure [126/60] under control I exercise on a recumbent bike no less than four days a week. I also utilize isometrics and hand weights, along with stretching and balance exercises. However, any kind of exercise does have a price to pay, and in my case it's increased pain that night.

To counter the chronic, ongoing pain, I take one 30 mg ER ZMorphine a day. I also take no more than 1 Gabapettin 2 times a day [my Nephrologist told me that was the maximum allowed due to kidney problems]. Along with these prescribed meds, I take Tylenol Rapid Release and an Ativan tablet. For break through pain, I have 15 mg IR Morpine. And when the meds are not touching the pain, I use the OTC cremes.

I'll admit, there are times that the pain is beyond anything I think I can go on with, but somehow I wake up to brave another day, as best as I can. However, the pain does serve to tire me out and remove energy from my body.

So, what do you do with your pain, and how do you control it? I've been to years and years of group support, and learned to use biofeedback and when the insurance paid for it, I even loved acupuncture, as it gave a brief time of release. However, insurance stopped paying for it and on my retirement income, acupuncture is now a distant memory of better days.

I'd love to hear from you as to your ideas and treatments. Maybe I'll learn something new to try, and maybe I'll be able to get to sleep before five or six in the morning

Thanks for listening to my story.

Pastor Paul
Hi, I sympathize. I take 300mg of Nucynta ER (equivalent to being on 60mg of Percocet all day), 900mg of Gabapentin, and Tizanidine. And still hurt all day. It's frustrating because the meds cause their own issues (I had a dizzy spell in the shower today and found myself prone unable to get up for quite awhile). I have regular insomnia - laying awake all night hurting isn't fun. I think the worse part is how it has taken my life away. I can't stand for more than 20 minutes, sit for more than 40, and walk like Frankenstein in slow motion. Even going to the movies is hard (I sit next to the outside aisle and stand as needed, but can't relaxe.). I lost my job last month - the pain affected my performance.
One thing that helps is a Paleo diet. Grain makes the pain worse.

Last edited by NewmanB1; 01-05-2013 at 11:43 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to NewmanB1:
June89 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions to ask to get an idea of your particular case, are you diabetic 1 or 2 ? I ask this because with diabetes 2 the drug metformin is very commonly used, but it can deplete B12 levels over time which is a very important vitamin that is essential for nerve health.

Has your neuro blamed your neuropathy solely on blood sugar levels or is there another reason for your nerve damage ? I noticed your Ac1 test was excellent at 5.7, have you kept your sugars levels like this since you were diagnosed with diabetes ?

Have you ever suffered with burning, sharp jabbing feelings, high sensitively to your feet before they went numb ? or is it pain only since the start.

Have you tried any supplements for your neuropathy and what type of nerves has your neuro told you are involved in your case.

regards
Aussie

Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
(male)

airskypony HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmanB1 View Post
Hi, I sympathize. I take 300mg of Nucynta ER (equivalent to being on 60mg of Percocet all day), 900mg of Gabapentin, and Tizanidine. And still hurt all day. It's frustrating because the meds cause their own issues (I had a dizzy spell in the shower today and found myself prone unable to get up for quite awhile). I have regular insomnia - laying awake all night hurting isn't fun. I think the worse part is how it has taken my life away. I can't stand for more than 20 minutes, sit for more than 40, and walk like Frankenstein in slow motion. Even going to the movies is hard (I sit next to the outside aisle and stand as needed, but can't relaxe.). I lost my job last month - the pain affected my performance.
One thing that helps is a Paleo diet. Grain makes the pain worse.
For the insomnia, my shrink gives me Ambien, 10 mg. I have taken them for about ten years. At first I was worried about long term use, but he assured me I'd be just fine. Once in the while I have a night or two where the entire bottle couldn't get me to sleep [not that I'd take the entire bottle], but those rebound days are few and far between.

I'd suggest you try to get your doc to consider Ambien, because sleep is so important with pain control.

BTW - because my pain is so bad into the night, I have resigned myself to getting to sleep around 6 every morning. It makes for a late day, and I have to schedule all my medical appointment later in the day to compensate fot getting up late, but after years of this, I've adapted.

Hang tough. You are not alone in this fight with pain.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
(male)

airskypony HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions to ask to get an idea of your particular case, are you diabetic 1 or 2 ? I ask this because with diabetes 2 the drug metformin is very commonly used, but it can deplete B12 levels over time which is a very important vitamin that is essential for nerve health.

I am a type 2, more than likely caused by years of pain control injections in the spine. Apparently, the combination of cortisone and steroids did an irreversible number on my pancreas, resulting in type two diabetes.

Has your neuro blamed your neuropathy solely on blood sugar levels or is there another reason for your nerve damage ? I noticed your Ac1 test was excellent at 5.7, have you kept your sugars levels like this since you were diagnosed with diabetes ?

It is a combination of diabetes [and my numbers have always been in this range, sometimes flaring to the low or mid six range, but not regularly] and stenosis of the Lumbar spine. In 1987 slipped and fell in a hotel shower while on a one-week training course for my employer. In 1991, I had to have an emergency laminectomy and hardware placed on the L-2 through S-1 with fusion. This has caused problems of its own, but without the surgery, I would have become a paraplegic.

Have you ever suffered with burning, sharp jabbing feelings, high sensitively to your feet before they went numb ? or is it pain only since the start.

I went through at least fifteen years of the tingling, burning, jabbing, etc, in the feet, while they gradually went numb.

Have you tried any supplements for your neuropathy and what type of nerves has your neuro told you are involved in your case.

It is the sensory nerves, not the motor nerves involved with my neuropathy. I think my well-maintained exercise plan has helped to keep my muscles strong and functional. Because of kidney failure, I take high doses of Vitamin D2 and prescription potassium daily. I use over the counter creams with Caspian seeds to ease the burning and stinging and tingling and tickling sensations at night. The Rx's I have don't begin to touch the sensations, just the pain. And once the pain reaches a certain level for a long time during any day, my body succumbs to a round of fibromyalgia. My doc calls these Fibromyalgia storms. I have another name for them, but as a Christian and pastor, I try to be somewhat civil!

regards
Aussie
I hope this answers some of your questions. And if you are suffering the same, let me offer you my prayers.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Thank you Paul, I am great these days, but I did suffer with diabetic related neuropathy that is why I was asking all the questions.
It does seem like your symptoms are more like spinal related than diabetic as keeping such good control of sugar levels for so long, one would think there would have been some signs of improvement over time as the nerves try to regenerate once whatever has been assaulting them stops.
Also the pattern of diabetic neuropathy is usually starts at the most distal extremities then goes up the legs then into the hands, but you don't mention that and the larger nerves normally have some damage done to them as well, which yours is solely sensory nerves.

Over time the body seems to build up a tolerance for pain meds which does make it so frustrating to the sufferer, I have a friend in the US who has suffered with long term idiopathic neuropathy that swears on using the pain relief patches, he was also in the same situation as far as the normal meds were doing hardly anything for him until they tried him on the patches, perhaps you may want to mention this to your doctor if your allowed to take it with your other medical problem/s.

I do hope you can find some relief in the near future.
regards
Aussie

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
(male)

airskypony HB User
Cool Re: Neuropathy and Pain Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
Thank you Paul, I am great these days, but I did suffer with diabetic related neuropathy that is why I was asking all the questions.
It does seem like your symptoms are more like spinal related than diabetic as keeping such good control of sugar levels for so long, one would think there would have been some signs of improvement over time as the nerves try to regenerate once whatever has been assaulting them stops.
Also the pattern of diabetic neuropathy is usually starts at the most distal extremities then goes up the legs then into the hands, but you don't mention that and the larger nerves normally have some damage done to them as well, which yours is solely sensory nerves.

Over time the body seems to build up a tolerance for pain meds which does make it so frustrating to the sufferer, I have a friend in the US who has suffered with long term idiopathic neuropathy that swears on using the pain relief patches, he was also in the same situation as far as the normal meds were doing hardly anything for him until they tried him on the patches, perhaps you may want to mention this to your doctor if your allowed to take it with your other medical problem/s.

I do hope you can find some relief in the near future.
regards
Aussie
Thanks for the note. I can't use the pain/med patch, which is a shame because they do work. The problem is my kidney disease. My Nephrologist told me they would further damage the kidneys, so I have to use them sparingly, mostly on my knees which are getting extremely painful.

As for the spinal PN, I've been checked out and while I think, some of the PN is from the spinal surgery, the docs say no, it is PN from diabetes, but they can't explain why since the numbers are so darn good???? I do have PN starting to set in with the internal organs, though, and hands. It isn't Carpal Tunnel, as my neurologist tested for that and says it is PN, and that is merely progressing.

I don't know why this disease is progressing, because I do everything and more when it comes to slowing it down. It just has a mind of its own.

Thanks for your encouraging letter. I do appreciate the words. You hang in there too, as I know this is not a fun way to live, for anyone. In fact, I wouldn't wish this on my worst of enemies, if I had any of those to start. with

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

What a shame you can't use the patches, as far supplements go,
R- Lipoic acid 100 mg [one tab daily to start with] may calm down the small nerves plus GLA [gamma-linolenic acid], which is found in evening primrose oil, this has helped a lot of diabetic neuropathy patients that I know of and other small nerve damaged neuropathy patients, it may take a few weeks to see any benefits.
The R-Lipoic acid may lower your blood sugars slightly so just keep a check and ask your doc if it's ok to take, shouldn'r be any probs though.

The one thing I forgot to ask, how is your B12 levels ?

The following user gives a hug of support to Aussie100:
airskypony (01-15-2013)
Reply Reply