It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
peripheral neuropathy and leg cramps

Hi all. I don't think that I ever posted under this forum. But have posted in the back section/spinal & pain section.

First here is my history:

--- 1994 lumbar spine surgery;
--- 1995 cervical spine surgery; stenosis;
--- 1997 lumbar surgery with Harrington rods;
--- 2000 Cervical surgery with Harrington rods;
--- 2003 leg surgery for DVT; blood clot;
--- 2006 implant spinal cord stimulator;
--- 2007 surgery for pancreatic cancer;
--- 2011 spinal cord stimulator removed

EMG done and I was told that I have severe cervical and lumbar nerve damage; severe arthritis and peripheral neuropathy

Other medical conditions:

--- Diabetic;
--- born/congenital absent Left kidney;
--- Right Kidney disease

Symptoms:

--- Leg numbness both legs left worse then the right; balance issues; cervical pain; radiating pain to the shoulders; weakness in my arms; tingling feeling at times; pin and needle feeling in my feet; times that I feel like I am walking on pebbles. Intermittent burning feeling in thigh area of legs.

MRI of thoracic/cervical region also showed severe loss of disc height at one level; focal cord atrophy; stenosis; bone spurs in cervical region; and in the thoracic region protrusions/bulges of discs

But here is what also is occurring. For years I have had severe crampting of my legs. It always occurs at night time, usually in the middle of the night as I am about to get out of bed. The pain level is usually 10 Plus. I find that once I am out of bed, I have extreme difficulty straightening my leg. And when I try to walk I have to grap on to the walls or furniture so that I don't fall. It usually last 5 minutes or so.

Is this the result of the peripheral neuropathy? One thing I cant remember from my neurologist visit after the EMG. Not sure if the neuropathy was strictly spinal in nature or if I was told it was a combination of a spinal and diebetic neuropathy.

Usually after the cramps are gone I am fine. But occasionally I find that while the cramping has stopped I have this sore feeling in the thight that can last several days.

What can be done to reduce the cramping? Years ago a friend of mine had similar experiences said he drank Tonic water because of the quinine in the tonic water. Didn't seem to work for me though.

Any thoughts; comments; suggestions; thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

Lynda666 HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy and leg cramps

Hi. I have had these cramps in my legs for years when I go to get out of bed. I've found that if you point your feet and toes upwards and not down when you first go to move and stretch your legs it stopped my cramps completely. It's worth a try

Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

thanks for
the suggestion. I will have to try it the next time it happens

Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, I believe most diabetics are low in magnesium so would I try
some supplements, any magnesium supplements except mag' oxide as it doesn't absorb very well.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
(male)

longgrub HB User

Try potassium. You can get it at any health food store

Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
(male)

Mariner403 HB UserMariner403 HB User

I also go through bouts of nocturnal leg cramps of the kind that instantly wake you up and have you jumping out of bed like frog. Not such a good idea for anyone, especially if afflicted with disequilibrium (which I have a symptom of PN, or so they tell me), but there's no resisting it.

Recently my wife's primary doc recommended a caplet consisting of 333mg Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate), 133mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide), and 5mg of Zinc (as Zinc Sulfate). Her notion is to take it as soon as possible after the cramp begins, and it subsides in just a minute or so.

Works for her, but since she made her recommendation my leg cramps have perversely abated, so I haven't had the opportunity to check it out for myself. However, her brother -also afflicted with regular and severe nocturnal leg cramps due to diuretics- has been taking one caplet a day for about two months, and his cramps have disappeared altogether. If mine return, I intent to follow his example.

Our source, unfortunately, is only CVS Pharmacies, where it's sold under the CVS label. However, that formula could likely be found in any pharmacy, probably in the "bone health" section.

Reply Reply