It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

merlino165 HB User
Neuropathic Pain from Laminectomy

I had a failed laminectomy 2.5 months ago for spinal fusion. i have been in constant nerve pain for about a month. I am actually worse than I was before the surgery and can hardly walk due to a weak right leg and super stiff knees. I have been given Gabapentin (Neurontin) which helps but seems to cause me to have wobbly legs. I also had LYrica which make me feel so wobbly that I fell a few times so I stopped that. I am literally on my own now since the pain mgt doctor (who is an anesthesiologist) has dismissed me too bec he says he cannot help me either. Is there a trick to taking Gabapentin without feel wobbly. How can I function with muscle weakness when that is part of my problem? I cannot work because of my leg and loss of balance. These are all side effects of these drugs: unsteadiness, loss of coordination and balance, muscle weakness. Any ideas of what to take to relieve pain and still function. I take ibuprofen but that doesn't touch the nerve pain at all. Help someone!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User
Re: Neuropathic Pain from Laminectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlino165 View Post
I had a failed laminectomy 2.5 months ago for spinal fusion. i have been in constant nerve pain for about a month. I am actually worse than I was before the surgery and can hardly walk due to a weak right leg and super stiff knees. I have been given Gabapentin (Neurontin) which helps but seems to cause me to have wobbly legs. I also had LYrica which make me feel so wobbly that I fell a few times so I stopped that. I am literally on my own now since the pain mgt doctor (who is an anesthesiologist) has dismissed me too bec he says he cannot help me either. Is there a trick to taking Gabapentin without feel wobbly. How can I function with muscle weakness when that is part of my problem? I cannot work because of my leg and loss of balance. These are all side effects of these drugs: unsteadiness, loss of coordination and balance, muscle weakness. Any ideas of what to take to relieve pain and still function. I take ibuprofen but that doesn't touch the nerve pain at all. Help someone!
So sorry, does sound like the weakness is a major factor. I use 1400mgs/day and 9x10mgs of Methadone/day. I am doing really very good and this combo.

You are definetly going to need another pain mgmt, which are usually run by anesthesiologist.

God be with you
Mikeh66

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

merlino165 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the Pain Mgt doctor in this group who basically dismissed me. He said the only thing he could give me was Lyrica. I am going to see another Pain Mgt guy as well as a 2nd surgical opinion.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

Great, keep on keeping on. I have very chronic back problems that keep getting worse, hence the methadone and lastly I have some sort of ischia nerve problems and that is being kept at bay with the gabapentin.

God bless you and hope to hear some good news soon.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
(male)

airskypony HB User

This is a potential problem that the well meaning docs never explain or reveal. I had that same procedure in 1991 [L-2 through S-1] with instruments [screws and bars] and fusion.

My neuropathy began in 1993 and hasn't let up. Because my diabetes is under control [average A1c is 5.8], the only explanation is the surgery.

My docs feel it is a combination of both the surgery and diabetes, plus my back is failing above and below the fusion, something else the docs never told me was a probable event within ten to fifteen years following the surgery. The only smart thing I did was never let them remove the instruments, and these instruments have helped to stabilize the area and slow down the failing back syndrome.

Good luck to you. I fully understand your pain, as well as the disappointment.

You may want to have the docs try morphine for the pain. I've been on that for fifteen years, and it still helps immensely.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

Reply Reply