It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Red face Pain meds and supplements

Any body have found meds that work for them. My new Niro won't prescribe any thing. Can hardly walk or sit bowel problems, feeling giving up

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

June89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB UserJune89 HB User
Re: Pain meds and supplements

Hi Terlin
I have had neuropathy for 3 years...more recently diagnosed with nonsystemic vascultic neuropathy & autoimmune neuropathy. I take cymbalta, lyrica, imuran, B6,
B12, butrans pain patch and oxicocet for break through pain. I receive IVIG every 4 weeks. Pain is something that no one understands unless they have suffered from neuropathy pain. It's there 24/7. I have difficulty walking, getting out of a chair & holding something. Hot & cold bother my feet & hands constantly.
Don't get too down, you have to keep trying to figure out whats wrong and how to live with it. That is difficult I know. Try and find things to do that make you happy...make the disease part of your life not that it is your life. Music helps, talking, making a daily schedule with very little on it as just getting out of bed is a task in itself. If your not happy with your dr's , change them. I have a neuromuscular DR, a pain Dr. a Neurologist and a family Dr. It took me some time to find them and I am happy with their treatment. I am high some days more than others but that is my choice over the pain. keep positive , we are here for you. Take care, June

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I hope your new neuro tested you for possible treatable causes of your neuropathy. Meds that are often used are gabapentin (Neurontin, with a very wide dose range), Lyrica and Cymbalta, like June mentioned. Best of all is treating the underlying cause, as that will often at least partially reverse the symptoms. A good workup for PN causes would include the following blood tests: Vit B12, folic acid, TSH (for hypothyroidism), serum glucose and/or HbA1C for diabetes, ANA, CRP and sed rate for autoimmune diseases. Alcohol abuse must be considered as an important part of the history. I would also just consider the possibility of MS because of some of your symptoms.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
exersise for neuropathy

Any body have suggestive exesise for neuropathy, I lost 50lbs in a year and muscle just melted away. Used to work out daily bike one weights the next, keep in mind can't sit because of severe gut pain from defacating problems when I had hernia suergery, can't ride bike no more I walk Adblock 3 times but need upper body strength and butt and thigh muscle but can't strain the the core recently had hernia mesh removed thank you?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: exersise for neuropathy

Terlin, your symptoms really sound out of proportion (worse than expected) for a case of neuropathy. I wonder if some other neurological degenerative problem is going on. What do your Drs say is wrong with you? Things just don't add up to me that your symptoms are so severe from a simple neuropathy. I think your Drs need to look deeper.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
(female)

MISSAMYJO HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
Any body have found meds that work for them. My new Niro won't prescribe any thing. Can hardly walk or sit bowel problems, feeling giving up
I think it is very important to find a doctor who you can understand and vice versa. This doctor (s) does not sound like a good fit. There have to be ways to go forward in life with this. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck! amy

Reply Reply