It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Red face Anybody have a spinal tap

My neuroligist is concidering a lumbar puncture, as anybody have one and did it hurt. My doctor is holding of now because he thinks I won't be able to Handel it. I have small fiber neuropathy and loss of cordination. And I have all kinds of wierd symptoms and bowel problems which he won't address. Body pain through out. Please tell me what it was like. Thankyou

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User
Re: Anybody have a spinal tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
My neuroligist is concidering a lumbar puncture, as anybody have one and did it hurt. My doctor is holding of now because he thinks I won't be able to Handel it. I have small fiber neuropathy and loss of cordination. And I have all kinds of wierd symptoms and bowel problems which he won't address. Body pain through out. Please tell me what it was like. Thankyou
I have had a lumbar puncture. I was real nervous about it and asked that they give me something to calm my nerves. They laughed but when my blood pressure went sky high they ran in and gave me xanex. Once that kicked in, they performed the test and it was not painful at all. You just need to hydrate well before and stay in bed for ten hours to twelve hours afterwards so you won't get a migraine.

With what is going on with you, I would go forward with this test. Just have them give you something before to calm your jitters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

I have had several spinals, with no negative effects, except for the diagnosis of spinal meningitis! There is no harm in asking for medication to control any anxiety you have, but the procedure itself is not painful or difficult to recover from.

Best of luck.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

I have yet to have a spinal tap although my neurologist suggested a nerve block to try and relieve the pain from my diabetic perepheral neuropathy which was a result of exposure to agent orange during Vietnam. If I understood him correctly it sounds like the procedure would be in the same area.
We have held off to date due to my having a colostomy, diagnosed with colon cancer 26 years ago and he's not sure if it'll affect my bowel function or not. I did have a myelogram shortly sfter my stroke 5 months ago (doc wanted to assess spinal compression before proceeding with therapy) again, not the same thing, but the procedure was painless..just a little bruising. I know from other injuries how frightening anything to do with the spine can be, but if we keep a good positive attitude and have faith in our doctors it should carry us a long way.
I find as we get older we just seem to "stumble upon" one ailment after another, I do agree with growagourd, there is no harm in asking for medication to either calm our nerves or help with the pain...life is difficult enough, we need not suffer needlessly.

cactus al

The following user gives a hug of support to cactus al:
growagourd (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

Cactus Al,

Funny to run into you here, we have met before on this site...as I remember giving you a nick name of salty dog, while we were discussing other medical issues we share. Nice to run into you again! It is a small world after all.

Best to everyone facing any medical procedure that we find scary. With a long list of medical procedures under my belt, I have found that the anticipation can be much worse than any procedure, and our doctors and nurses understand that very well. Always feel free to discuss any trepidations you have going into any medical treatment, as they are there to help, and provide anything you need to go through the procedure go smoothly and comfortably as possible. Often a little pill to ease your anxiety is all you need to make it into a piece of cake.

your friend...

The Following User Says Thank You to growagourd For This Useful Post:
cactus al (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Yes..I do remember us meeting before, and yes, I am still that same salty dog. So good to read your words of encouragement again, you are a godsend to all needing someone who will listen and share their own thoughts and experiences.

God Bless you and please take care.

Cactus al

Reply Reply