It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
(male)

tkust1977 HB User
Drop foot question

I guess first I should give a brief back story before the question. I suffered a pretty bad knee injury which also included Peroneal Nerve palsy. Or as it was explained to me, my peroneal nerve is "out". This happened back in late August of 2012. I since had surgery on my knee to repair the laundry list of injuries suffered. I still have the drop foot as of present day. I am using an AFO brace which is a pain but better then dragging my foot.

About a month or so ago for some reason I smacked/tapped the side of my leg by the area of my knee. When I did that I got a "pins and needles" feeling in my foot and ankle. Anytime I tap that area of my leg or squeeze behind my knee I get that sensation in my foot. My question is: Is this a good thing, or is this common among people with dropfoot? The doctor said that it was a good sign but I wanted to know if anyone has had this experience or have heard of this. I really appreciate any input.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Drop foot question

Welcome to the board. It is a good sign. It means that the nerve has some function and is not dead or severed. I hope you have had physical therapy for the foot drop and that you continue to do the exercises every day. There is no way to predict if the full function will return, but we do know that any progress is very slow.

My aunt had a stroke in Jan 2011 which resulted in drop foot. She mentioned recently that she is still making progress even though it is well beyond that 12 month repair period that some doctors mention.

There are two schools of thought regarding the brace. It keeps one from tripping over the foot but it also lessens the amount of work the muscles are required to do. My aunt has found that she made more progress when not using a brace.

Good luck to you. I hope your function will return.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
(male)

tkust1977 HB User
Re: Drop foot question

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I am continuing my exercises daily along with the ones to strengthen my knee. It is ironic that the day you replied I also met someone who had drop foot and recovered after 2 years. It has been a humbling experience that I can grow from.

Once again, thank you for the kind reply.

Reply Reply