It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Reasons for neuropathy?

Ive had this for 5 yrs. It seemed to all hit at once: quick burning stabbing pains that jump around my body, especially hands, ankels, feet-muscle twitching all over (at its height, hundreds per day), feeling like leg was vibrating and other random things.

I shortly after starting getting upper left sided pains which we think is my pancreas.

Ive been tested for diabetes, and in the past for lupus and neuro issues-all clear.

What else causes neuropathy, or what causes yours? I have them in flares and at its peak I had these stabbing burning pains as well as twitching all over ALL day.

I want to get to the bottom of the cause, especially since I be going under anesthesia for something unrelated in a few months.

Last edited by k2626; 04-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Reasons for neuropathy?

There are many of known reasons for nerve damage, B12 deficiency is often over looked, toxins, alcohol, certain medications, hypothyroidism, viral or bacterial infections and the list goes on and on.
I think the best way to try to find the culprit is to find a neuro that is neuropathy savy [a lot are not unfortunately], the first one i seen give me the wrong test for my symptoms.
Hopefully you can find a neuropathy expert that will give you all the tests available to try to find the cause.

best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
(female)

MISSAMYJO HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
There are many of known reasons for nerve damage, B12 deficiency is often over looked, toxins, alcohol, certain medications, hypothyroidism, viral or bacterial infections and the list goes on and on.
I think the best way to try to find the culprit is to find a neuro that is neuropathy savy [a lot are not unfortunately], the first one i seen give me the wrong test for my symptoms.
Hopefully you can find a neuropathy expert that will give you all the tests available to try to find the cause.

best of luck to you.
Unfortunately, even with a good neuro doctor, I feel like we have to investigate a lot on our own. A rheumatology doctor might be good also. Mine said it can be caused by certain blood pressure medicines. Try to get as much info as you can from as many reputable sources as you can. Good luck! Sounds yucky! Mine isn't as bad as yours. I just have pain, mostly feet, fatigue and starting to get some difficulty walking too much but I soldier on. I am trying to eat a healthier diet. Processed foods are nobody's friends! Could investigate that; my sis swears by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Tons of stuff on internet about his thoughts! a

Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

I forgot to mention, once you have found a neuro that is a neuropathy expert and whilst your waiting for your appointment, it would be a good idea to have as much medical history information as you can ready for him/her, as this can cut down their time and of course your costs.

They will probably order an emg to test the large nerves, nerve conduction studies to test the condition of the mylon sheath and axonal damage and skin biopsy for the small fibre nerves, depending on what is damaged sometimes this can help them point to possible causes.
Also serum blood tests, which will include any Rheumatology causes for neuropathy.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
I forgot to mention, once you have found a neuro that is a neuropathy expert and whilst your waiting for your appointment, it would be a good idea to have as much medical history information as you can ready for him/her, as this can cut down their time and of course your costs.

They will probably order an emg to test the large nerves, nerve conduction studies to test the condition of the mylon sheath and axonal damage and skin biopsy for the small fibre nerves, depending on what is damaged sometimes this can help them point to possible causes.
Also serum blood tests, which will include any Rheumatology causes for neuropathy.
Aussie have you heard of body wide pain from numb head to burning feet loss of cordination, balance problems hot and cold sensations eyes in and out of focus loss of smell hearing altered a slight scratch that hurts the whole joint. Bowel and bladder problems. Body feels heavy and joints feel dislocated lost emotion and mind not focusing very bad brain fog. Have you heard of anyone like this and what the dx was. Waiting for MRI and in the mean time going crazy! Please help.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User

i have been dx with neuropathy for 3 yrs or more and i notice haveing problems with my eye focus going in and out it happens mostly when the pain level is high

Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
(female)

mustang06 HB User

You have a some symptoms the same as me. Don't you have neck issues? Im trying to figure out mine right now. Mine started out of no where a year ago and it affects my pretty much my whole body. It started with weak muscles in legs, feet, arms, hands, then if I used them they would ache burn. Now I think I got muscle tension in my back that is pressing on my nerves b/c my whole body was on fire and if I laid down my feet would twitch or my nose would jump. Is it positional with you? I have sharp stabbing pains in my knee back and neck. I was tested for lyme and only had one positive band on wb pop up. So doctors said no. I have neck disc bulges but the doctors don't seem to think its "bad enough" to cause it. I passed the neuro exam, no loss of sensation, normal reflexes etc. Did you have a normal neuro exam?

Reply Reply