It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

Jovino HB User
Charot foot caused by neuropathy

I have been a diabetic since 1999 and until about 3 years it seems that everything came crashing down all of this when my sugars were in check. I had a TIA, a amputation of my small left toe, and the diagnosis of Charcot Foot in both feet. Each time the docotrs wanted to blame it on me and my poor control of my sugars until they realized my sugars and A1C were norm-then it went to "Well you know things like this can happen even if your taking good care of yourself" This through me for a loop cause what they were now telling me after all these pills, and insulin etc it can still happen. My right foot is now deformed the ankle bone shifted to the opposite side coming through the foot-this ulcer has healed, my arch disappeared, and certain nerves woke up, and I walk with a cane for stability and have had to wear an aricast on my right leg for the last 3 years and a aircast cast on my left for the last year. I am currently getting ready to have reconstructive surgery on the right foot one to hopefully stabilize the foot-but to cut part of the ankle out to help try to straighten the foot out-break the heel to straighetn the foot and metal rods 4 of them in the foot like a foot skelton attached to bolts in the ankle for support. I am trying to find other members who may have had thsi surery to hear their stories-and to know if the surgery was successful giving me a 50% chance is not big percentage for me-telling me that the bones might not fuse all of this depending on my healing process and how bad the fragments are-or the possiblility of infection and the lose of my leg. Intelluctually I can rationalize it all-and I am not one to just sit by and take people on their word-I have tried to read up on everything vcause the one thing I learned from all of this is Doctors do not know everything and since its our bodies and our disease we owe it to ourselves to educate ourselves to the best of our ability. I do not sit and say why me-I get up up everyday with these casts and go to the one joib I still have left and am so grateful for that. But this surgery may turn me into a complete invalid and yes it scares teh hell out of me. I have always worked and when I had the amputation and the Charcot devolped I lost my job as a bartender-because I learned that just standing long periods of time being a diabetic with neuropathy can excel this condition. If anyone can let me know if they or a loved one has had this surgery and what was the after effects like I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank you for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply