It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #1

hope2Cbetter HB User
Is it possible to be addicted to salty foods?

Hi all,
I'd like to throw a question out here and see if anyone has a good answer for me. About 15 years ago I developed a craving for crushed ice. I would only go to the fast-food joints that used it in their drinks and sometimes I would buy a cup of ice to bring home for later. I would drink the drink and then eat the ice. I even went so far as to buy an ice crusher to crush my own ice. While going through a physical exam for a new job, blood was drawn, and the doctor said I needed to see my family doc because the arount of iron in my blood was negligible. He wanted to know how I managed to even "stand up" and I admitted I had been extremely fatigued and felt like passing out a lot. I saw my family doc and one of the first questions he asked me was if I had been eating a lot of ice and I said yes and he said sometimes when people become very anemic they crave it. Seems I was extremely anemic. A series of iron shots and and iron supplement got me back on my feet. Now I have a new problem, maybe. I absolutely CRAVE salty food. If I don't have a salty meal, I don't feel satisfied. I might add that I do NOT add salt at the table, but I will eat frozen food high in sodium, cheese and deli meat (ham especially), ham and cheese omelets, chips. You name it, I HAVE to have it on a daily basis. I also have a HORRIBLE problem with fluid retention and yes, my blood pressure is on the border of moderate to high and I take medicine for it. I also take a diuretic for the water retention but sometimes it doesn't work well. I recently had to see my doc for the swelling in my face, fingers, ankles, feet - everywhere basically - and over the next 7 days I lost 14 pounds of water due to strong diuretic he put me on. I have not talked with him about my need for salty foods yet. Does anyone else have this horrible craving for sallty foods and do you know if it's a deficiency of some kind that I can fix or overcome? Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me. thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

crowgirl HB User
Re: Is it possible to be addicted to salty foods?

Yesterday, I started reading a book on adrenal fatigue, and it said that a craving for salt can be one of the symptoms. Maybe you could post a message on the Addison's board; there are some very knowledgeable people there.

HTH!

Closed Thread