It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #1

SwTpEa1988 HB User
Unhappy is bmi of 17.3 unhealthily skinny?!

i have a bmi of 17.3 and im worried that i am too skinny. i've been skinny all my life and i've never been able to gain weight. i havent had my period for 9months and it got back on track last month. am i unhealthily skinny? does anybody know any weight gain methods that actually work? any comments will be greately appreciated!

Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Re: is bmi of 17.3 unhealthily skinny?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwTpEa1988
i have a bmi of 17.3 and im worried that i am too skinny. i've been skinny all my life and i've never been able to gain weight. i havent had my period for 9months and it got back on track last month. am i unhealthily skinny? does anybody know any weight gain methods that actually work? any comments will be greately appreciated!
A BMI of 17.3 is considered underweight. Some people (perhaps you) look skinny but fine at that weight. On my frame, a BMI of 22 has people accusing me of being anorexic.

Back to your question: if you feel well at this BMI and you exercise, then you are probably just fine. You asked about gaining weight? The problem that I had years ago (when obese) was weight gain. Most methods are going to be unhealthy, so are you sure it's truly that critical for you to gain weight? My diet once consisted of a dinner with a triple hamburger (double extra cheese), spicy chicken sandwich (with cheese), largest fries and a Mountain Dew. If you eat fast food like that and couple that with a nice breakfast buffet and a few fast food tacos or burritos at lunch, perhaps don't exercise and sit inside each night with a bag of cookies, you should be well on the way to weight gain.

Seriously though, that's not how you want to do it

I understand all too well that it's difficult to gain weight when you eat very healthy, especially if you do a lot of exercise. I am forcing myself to eat enough calories on some days. Some healthful, calorie dense options might be the inclusion of a small amount of cheese at each meal or a handful of nuts as a snack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #3

SwTpEa1988 HB User

thanks for ur advice. im a very athletic person so it would be hard for me to stop doing activities. i am definitely healthy at this weight but i just want to bulk up so no one thinks that im anorexic. people actually called u anorexic with a bmi of 22? underweight is like under 18! but im definitely trying to gain weight and im gonna do whatever i can. thanks

Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #4

SnowBnny HB User

My bmi is 16.8 and my periods are now regular. When I was at a higher bmi, they weren't regular.

I asked a question that is posted on the exercise and fitness board about the accuracy of BMI.

Apparently it isn't very accurate. It doesn't take in account muscle compared to fat.

2 people of the same exact weight, one may be built with muscle because this person works out. The other may be all fat because they eat junk food. You should read the posts, the replies I got say that bmi measurements are not accurate.

I am 5'3" and 95 pounds possibly less. I am looking to gain but I have an eating disorder.

Last edited by SnowBnny; 06-04-2004 at 11:03 AM.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

hey, you could try building up some muscle to gain weight. do some weightlifting and eat enough chicken and lean meats to get in the right amount of protein

Old 06-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #6

SwTpEa1988 HB User

i was just wondering if my bmi is the same as an anorexic person. once person that replied said that they have a bmi of 16.8 and has an eating disorder. and i the only one with a 17.3 bmi and no eating disorder? is that like the bmi of an anorexic person?

Old 06-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

yeah, of a not yet so super serious case of an anorexiac person, but possibly the beginning fase. or maybe somewhat further than beginning. it depends on how long the person has been anorexiac and what their starting bmi was.
it could also be the bmi of a young teen (before they start to grow in width) or someone like you that doesn't eat a lot but some.

Last edited by justme_; 06-05-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jennymc41 HB User

i heard drinking milk-shakes helps people gain weight

Old 06-06-2004, 07:15 AM   #9

SwTpEa1988 HB User

its not like i dont eat! i eat whatever there is and i feel so good after eating a full meal. but u said that 17.3 is the anorexic bmi? i would think that below 17 is anorexic because im naturally skinny and i cant have the same bmi as an anorexic person!

Old 06-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #10

SnowBnny HB User

I don't believe you are anorexic. I have read your other posts and I believe you said your age is in the teens? Something like around 15? I think you have a high metabolism plus, you are young and you also said that you eat whatever there is. At your age, you are fine. Only a doctor can diagnose whether or not you are anoreic. But based on what I read about you, I think you have no weight problem.
I, on the other hand, am older, (30) I restrict my calories and count my calories constantly. I have a lower bmi because of the way I plan my meals.
I know I have an eating disorder. You do not sound like you have an eating disorder. I think you are healthy. My sister was really low in weight at your age too. She had the same thoughts of it being anorexia. The doctor said she was normal. She gained appropriately as she got older.
I really don't believe you have any problems. You are young, you eat, you probably have a high metabolism.
Now I am not a doctor, and I am not saying you do or don't have a problem. Again, remember that these posts are just for advice and opinions but in MY opinion, I think you are a healthy teen. If you are concerned, go for a physical from your doctor.
But like I posted earlier, check out my post about the accuracy of the bmi. The post is titled: How accurate is the BMI ? I think it is at the bottom of the first page or the top of the second. BMI is really not too accurate from what they tell me.
Either way, accurate or not, best to get checked out by a doctor. I still think you are healthy though.

Last edited by SnowBnny; 06-06-2004 at 08:19 AM.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #11

fluffy_clouds HB User

my bmi is only about 17.5 and i have ben told im underweight by the doctor but ive always been skinny. Its just too hard to gain weight! im a vegetarian which dosnt help but i eat pretty well most of the time, its so frustrating tho, especially when i get called anorexic. My friend told me to eat lots of carbs on top of my three meals a day like bread and pasta, drink a glass of milk a day and eat healthy fats like the ones you get in olive oil etc......is this true?

Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #12
(male)

Leahcim HB User

Im only 18.0(mens) and yeh ive been skinny all my life so ive given up trying, i get to full and start to throw up.
Im muscular and fit so thats all what i care about not what anyone else thinks, just eat normal and excercise. and weigh urself once a week, if you find urself losing weight each week then you have a problem and see the docter but if its about the same then its just the way your body works.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:21 AM   #13

Kyarahh HB User

My BMI is around 17.0, and my 'cycle' has stopped. I'm eating healthier, so it may start up again on its own, as it's one in the past! I really think that's a good indicator that you are in good health.

If you feel good and you've gotten checked by a physician, you're probably fine!

Last edited by Kyarahh; 08-14-2004 at 02:23 AM.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
Veteran

fallen HB User

Just thought i'd let you know that an 'anorexic BMI' is considered anything under 17.5 to answer your question

Old 01-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #15
(female)

becka07 HB User

wow i have a bmi of 25......i'm 15 and people still think i'm anerexic cause everything i eat goes straight to my chest....literally (DD) no lie

Closed Thread