It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #1

vacantbreath HB User
Water retension from IV fluids

i didn't really know where to post this...

i was in the hospital all day yesterday hooked up to an IV 'cause i've got a kidney stone...they had to put me on morphine and they administered a lot of water IV.

i wake up, and weigh FOUR POUNDS MORE than i did yesterday morning. HALF a pound more than my usual weight gets me really panicked, so you can only imagine how freaked out i am right now...

how long does it usually take for fluid weight to go down, and will drinking a lot of water -- like people have been telling me -- really help to flush out all that weight gained from the IV? will i need to work off most of this weight, or is it going to come off within the week?

i feel like a total cow, i'm eating disordered and this is like a nightmare for me. thank you for reading, i really didn't know where to put this.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Water retension from IV fluids

Hi there. I realize this comes a little late - you've probably already discovered that it was just water weight and it's gone now Fluid retention from an IV isn't that uncommon, especially if they used a saline drip instead of Ringers.

In order to gain one pound of fat you need to have an excess of 3,500 calories over and above what your body uses. Overnight gains like you experienced cannot be fat unless someone snuck you in a whole lot of food (and you ate it!)

HTH
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Water retension from IV fluids

Oh lord,
It happened to me last summer with an ear operation under general anaesthesia. After about 14 hours in the hospital with intravenous, I actually gained 10 pounds and couldn't stop gulping water.
Going home I was afraid to bump into anything for fear of bursting open like a pinata.

Vacantbreath,
Just spend the next few days eating very little salt but drinking plenty of water. Your electrolytes will settle down to normal.
(If you have any friends with high blood pressure, and who doesn't, you can ask them for a couple diuretics...like 2 days' worth)

Last edited by zip2play; 07-29-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Closed Thread