It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

lavenderfields HB User
Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause Burning Mouth?

I've been suffering with a painful burning sore mouth and tongue for several months. I went to my Dentist and he suspects a Vitamin B deficiency he said something about Malabsorption and Vitamin B12. I have an appointment with my medical doctor this week. Has anyone else had this symptom as a result of a vitamin B deficiency? I would appreciate any information on the subject.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause Burning Mouth?

I would like to know the answer to this question!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

I do not have a vitamin b12 deficiency. I had my appointment with my family Dr. and she did blood work to check for Vitamin B12 and a folate deficiency. The tests results came back normal. She has referred me to a Dermatologist. I'm a little confused as to why I'm seeing a dermatologist for my mouth, she said something about skin conditions that can manifest in the mouth. Although I have no rashes or anything abnormal with my skin. I should have asked more questions. I guess I'll find out more when I see the dermatologist I have the appointment scheduled for next week.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #4

Renee' HB User

I have a burning mouth too, sigh. If you find relief, let me know.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #5

turl HB User

Hi: Sometimes you can have a B12 deficiency and it NOT show in the blood tests. Serum levels are not the best indicator. Methylmalonic acid (serum or urine) or something called Schilling test (?) would be best. A burning tongue/mouth is one of many possible symptoms of B12. If you exhaust all medical avenues with no answers, you can always take a good B-complex vitamin plus something called methylcobalamin (one of the 2 coenzymes of B12 used by the body--the other being adenosylcobalamin, aka dibencozide). You'd find these types at a health food store or online (they're sublinguals, and recent research indicates that it's as good as shots at raising B12 levels--contrary to old beliefs).

Old 12-13-2004, 05:35 AM   #6

Renee' HB User
Smile Re: Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause Burning Mouth?

Hi Tabs,

I'm not good with surfing the web, and I think my B vitamins are not doing it for me. My problem is that these blasted vitamins are usually so HUGE that I can't swallow 'em. Sublingual sounds good. Could you list on here some of the kinds I might be able to get at my local Health Food Store? I've got a Wild Oats, and a Whole Foods I could go to.
Thanks

Old 12-13-2004, 06:47 AM   #7

turl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee'
Hi Tabs,

I'm not good with surfing the web, and I think my B vitamins are not doing it for me. My problem is that these blasted vitamins are usually so HUGE that I can't swallow 'em. Sublingual sounds good. Could you list on here some of the kinds I might be able to get at my local Health Food Store? I've got a Wild Oats, and a Whole Foods I could go to.
Thanks
Hi Renee:

I don't know what brands those 2 stores carry, but you can tell the clerk you want "methylcobalamin" type of B12 (and if they don't have it, they could probably order you some--if you don't want to order off the internet). The brands I have seen (and/or bought) include NOW, Jarrow, Source Naturals. Source Naturals makes a "coenzymated B complex" that is sublingual--I take this in addition to the methyl-B12. Since the Bs go hand-in-hand, I would suggest a B complex especially when you take a single B in isolation. Folic acid (a B) is very important along with B12, and I've seen it mentioned in relation to mouth issues too. Some people rinse with a solution of folic acid (in fact, my source of B12 is called "Folirinse"--1 drop under the tongue is 5 mg).

Good luck.
Tab

Old 12-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #8
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

Hi Tabs, Thanks for the response on the B vitamins. How many mgs. of B12 do you take daily? Also, what B vitamins are included in the B complex and what is the daily dose? Sorry, but I've never taken anything other than a daily Centrum and I'm not familiar with these supplements. I really want to try taking these.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #9

turl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderfields
Hi Tabs, Thanks for the response on the B vitamins. How many mgs. of B12 do you take daily? Also, what B vitamins are included in the B complex and what is the daily dose? Sorry, but I've never taken anything other than a daily Centrum and I'm not familiar with these supplements. I really want to try taking these.
Right now I'm mega-dosing (sort of) on the B12 to try and jumpstart my deficiency reversal, so I'm taking 2000-3000 mcg (that's 2-3 mg) of methylcobalamin. I'm also taking 2000 mcg of dibencozide (adenosylcobalamin, the other coenzyme of B12 that's used in the cell, as opposed to methyl-B12's use in the brain and nerve). Sometimes I also take hydroxocobalamin (which has to be converted by the body into the 2 usable forms mentioned above). I just found a sublingual by Source Naturals that is a combo of both the 2 types of B12 used in the body (3 mg methyl-B12 and 2 mg of dibencozide); when my other pills run out, I'm going to switch to this. Otherwise, I guess a good daily maintenance dose would be 1000 mcg (1 mg).

There are several types of B-complexes (and include all the Bs in varying doses). There's something called B-50 and B-100. I think this means that in the B-50, 50 mg is the usual dose for the major Bs; likewise, B-100 would mean that 100 mg is used. B vits are water-soluble and the excess is excreted in urine (turns it bright yellow). No known toxicity; however, you never want to take one B in isolation for any length of time without supplementing all of the Bs because you might end up in an imbalance of them (so I've read). The Source Naturals Coenzymated B complex I mentioned is 2 sublinguals per dose, and I forget the amounts of the Bs....I do know it's less than the B-50, so I take 2 doses a day. I get tired of swallowing pills and like the sublinguals.....

Hope this helps.
Tab

Old 12-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #10

rachel18 HB User

Burning mouth and inflammation of the tongue is definitely a sign of deficiency of B12 but this does not necessarily mean it is a B12 deficiency.

The body is able to hold stores of B12 in the liver for lengthy periods of time. Individuals who are prone to B12 deficiency are vegetarians who do not consume any meat and meat is a major source of B12. B12 occurs as a protein complex in foods and is mainly found in animal products and sometimes can be our only available source as our bodies lack the enzymes required to access it from anywhere else.

Some synthesis of B12 is also done by the bacteria in our gut, but is not enough to keep up the normal levels of B12 needed in our body and therefore is needed through either supplementation or in our diet.

Also another thing i wanted to add, is that folate (folic acid) supplementation can actually hide B12 deficiency, therefore hiding the signs and symptoms of B12 deficiency. If this continues, and you are deficient of B12 for a very long period it can lead to pernicious anaemia which is an autoimmune disease where the body sets up antibodies to the intrinsic factor(important to combine to B12 for absorption) So please be careful in supplementing with folic acid if your symptoms disappear does not mean that you are not b12 deficient.

Other sources of B12 apart from meat are clams, egg yolk, herring, kidney, liver, milk, oysters, salmon and sardines.

The following user gives a hug of support to rachel18:
sarapaton (02-02-2012)
Old 12-21-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
Inactive

mariepom HB User

Hi Lavenderfields,
I have burning tongue also.
It is called burning mouth syndrome. I have had it for 7 yrs now. Look up burning mouth syndrome on the internet and you will find lots of information on this.
Take care,
Marie

Last edited by mariepom; 12-22-2004 at 11:39 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 AM   #12
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

Thanks to all of you for your replies. After seeing 4 doctors (dentist, periodontist, internist, and a dermatologist) I was finally diagnosed with oral lichen planus. The dermatologist put me on two prescriptions Lidex orabase gel and Nystatin. He said it would take about a month on these for me to get some relief. I certainly hope so because since my original post it has gotten worse. My mouth and tongue is so painful it not only burns but also is sore and aches. My whole mouth and gums just feel horrible. Also, I was told to only use Biotene toothpaste and this doesn't burn as bad as regular toothpaste.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with oral lichen planus, I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #13
(female)

walgurski HB User

I'm having the exact problem. I get so depressed. I'm desperate for help. I've seen all the doctors and had blood work done. I'm on vitamin B (for 2weeks). I've heard if it is a deficientcy it could take months to get better. My mouth still doesn't feel better. How is yours? Did it stop?

Old 06-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #14
(female)

Happy Day HB User

It could be a B6 deficiency, however all B complex's need to be balanced. Just taking one of the B's could deplete all the others. I had a sore, red, burning tongue. I took only B6, it helped, but I learned later that I had depleted my other B's. The body wants all the B Complex required.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #15
Inactive

mariepom HB User

Has anyone considered vitamin b2 (riboflavin) causing your burning tongue? Everyone always seems to suggest b12 deficiency for burning tongue...how about the combination of the two?

PROPERTIES AND USES

Riboflavin has been used effectively in treating the following symptoms of deficiencies: soreness and burning of the lips, mouth, and tongue; fissures and cracks in the lips, a purple, swollen tongue; and possible anemia.

Riboflavin needs increase during growth, pregnancy, wound healing, and lactation. This phenomenon is related to the fact that riboflavin plays a role in protein metabolism, which is increased during these periods.

CONSEQUENCE OF DEFICIENCY
Early signs of riboflavin deficiency are: soreness and burning of the lips, mouth, and tongue; fissures and cracks in the lips; a purple, swollen tongue; burning and itching of the eyes; photophobia; a loss of visual acuity; and possible anemia. Individuals who ingest a diet devoid of animal protein sources and green leafy vegetables are prone to ariboflavinosis, a severe riboflavin deficiency.

If the intake of riboflavin is low for several months, the following symptoms will appear: cheilosis; angular stomatitis (cracks in the skin at the corners of the mouth); a greasy eruption on the skin of the nasolabial folds and scrotum; capillary overgrowth around the cornea of the eye; and a purplish, swollen tongue.

Riboflavin deficiency rarely appears alone; most often it appears in conjunction with multiple nutritional deficiencies. This makes diagnosis quite difficult, especially as niacin, iron, and pyridoxine deficiencies mimic the symptoms of riboflavin deficiency

Closed Thread