It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User
Splenda: Good or Bad?

I've seen both side [from other web pages], but not sure who is more "right" than the other. Some state Splenda's FDA approval and "100 tests" and show it's safe for human consumption.

Others state that it is unsafe, causeing problems like reducing the size of the thymus gland, birth defects, to name a few, with no long term HUMAN tests of it's effect.

My question is [especially if it is your area of expertise], which side do you believe?

Old 01-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User
Re: Splenda: Good or Bad?

I have only heard really negative things about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

From my google search, I've seen about the same negative information [wording and such], then about the same positive information [wording]. Different sites with similar information, as if the information were copied and plasted, . . . . .from both sides of the issue.

At this point, I'm beginning to be a little concerned, . . . . . . . .until I hear some definitive news on this. That's why I would like someone who knows nutrition and all to speak on this, or who would have more access than a google search.

Or maybe I should just switch to Stevia.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

What negative things have you heard? I have only heard the good things.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

Do a search for Splenda on Google. You'll find many. But then you'll find many that say that it's okay. Someone's lying to us, but I'm not sure who is at this point.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Hmmm I will have to research this question. The last I heard on the news I think it was like 20/20 or Dateline they reported that the consumption was so high that some companies shelves were going to be bare. They also said that they were going to be building another production company in I think China or somewhere near there cause the demand was so high.

Now here is what I am thinking. If the demand is that great why build a company overseas? Would they not want to build one in the US to get the product shipped faster to us? *shrug* I still use it. Actually I use one packet of Splenda and one of Equal.

Jenteal

Old 01-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Splenda is an artificial sweetner. To the extent that it replaces some of our excess dietary sugar, it's a good thing. For diabetics it's a good thing. For people trying to lose weight...good.

It's BAD if you hate all things artificial, or all things sweet, or if you hate the taste, the cost or any personal side-effects.

Personally, I think aspartame tastes SLIGHTLY better, cyclamate even better than that and saccharine is hateful.

I like the idea that cyclamate has been around for 1/2 century with only the U.S.A. banning it. I like also that aspartame has been around for several decades. Splenda is the "new-kid on the block" (more coming) and hasn't been as thoroughly demographically tested as the others.

So EDC, this is a choice you will have to make for yourself; you'll find strident arguments on both sides if you look hard enough. I use aspartame several times a day, cyclamate frequently, and sucralose rarely.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-09-2005 at 11:20 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lenin:
Larryp1962 (12-10-2011)
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

EDC,

If you are concerned about the safety of artificial sweeteners, there are a few natural ones that function the same, but without all the doubt in their safe usage.

My personal favorite is Stevia extract, not what comes in a glycerin base but in an alcohol base ("liquid extract" the alcohol is virtually nonexistant as literally only a few drops of the stuff are used). I recommend avoiding the powdered form as it is usually very bitter. Stevia is an extract from the leaf of a plant (Stevia), and contains zero calories. It has been shown to prevent plaque formation on teeth. Stevia is about 200 times sweeter than sugar (a little goes a VERY long way!).

Xylitol is another natural substance, equal in volume in sweetness to sugar. It absorbs very slowly in the large intestine, so it has little impact on blood suger (but can act as a laxative, as most sugar alcohols can). It is extracted from wood, but is found in some quantity in almost all fruits and vegetables. It has been shown to prevent dental cavities. Xylitol is FDA approved, and is also approved worldwide (in the "most safe" category).

Both of these things can/may be found in a health food store or section of grocery store. When all else fails, they can be found on the internet, just be sure you know what you are buying and that you a buying from a reputable vendor/company.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'm trying to enjoy most things without added sugar, I hate all artificial sweeteners including stevia, have read some negatives on that also. Probably the best solution is if you need to add sweeteners than do it sparingly, I now drink Kool-aid without adding sugar, I water down my soda bottle so that it takes me 3 days to drink a 16oz soda. Why is it so necessary that companies willingly meet the consumers demand for more sugared products? We are a nation of obese people, more than anywhere else, aside form other lifestyle habits why can't we learn to use less sugar instead using the artificial? I've tried all the articifial stuff, IT'S MORE SWEET THAN REGULAR! Yuke with that, if I ever get diabetes I will be in trouble, the real stuff isn't so sweet if used in very small amounts. Splenda is the best if you want to cook with it, personally, both sides to the argument have a valid reason for their pros and cons.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
(male)

jurry HB User

I, originally, was under the impression that Splenda was natural. Recently though, i discovered that in addition to sucralose, it also has quite a few added chemicals and has to go through a long manufacturing process.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Splenda and Nutrasweet turn me into Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Depression & Anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I think these artificial sweetners are the root of MANY of the problems that have florished over the last couple decades.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 AM   #12
(male)

jurry HB User

Splenda does have some side effects that affect people, including myself: bloating, diarrhea, etc.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-26-2006 at 10:25 PM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:20 PM   #13
(female)

runnergirl HB User

splenda is FINE! perfectly safe. a hydroxyl group (O=H) from a sugar molecule (sucrose) is inverted from cis- to trans- and then it does not get absorbed as sugar in this form. it could not be more natural and safe, despite what propaganda and special interest groups want the public to believe. i use it all the time.

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Splenda: Good or Bad?

I find the if-it-wasn't-around-1000-years-ago-don't eat-it diet to be the healthiest. Your body doesn't know what to do with all the man-made and artificially colored and flavored nonsense we put into our mouths- it didn't used to have to deal with them! Hence the overwhelming popularity of mental and physical health ailments (as someone noted earlier.)

I, too, used Splenda in the past. Now, it's Stevia or nothing. Your body works most efficiently on whole, natural, non-processed edibles.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #15
(male)

jurry HB User

Splenda has been leading consumers to believe that it's natural. It's not though. The marketing campaign has been very misleading.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-26-2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Closed Thread