It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

Gimme_It HB User
I can't eat ANY fruit! HELP!!

OK, Iv just turned 18, and I WANT to start eating healthily, but everytime I try fruit, salad or veg, it makes we want to gip!
I have never liked it, but it looks so nice, all those colours, I just want it! I went out the other night and bought loads of fruit, sat down and tried them ALL - apples, grapes, watermelons, oranges, bananas, kiwi, pineapple!! Why can't I eat them!!!!

The only bit of salad I like is a slice of lettuce on a sandwich (if its hidden and cant taste it!) and I only like peas and carrots from the veggie selection! I really dont know what to do... Im sick of eating unhealthy foods, and since I have a higher risk of getting diabetes and heart disease when Im older I really WANT to start!!

Please, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do to either MAKE me 'like' it, or offer a substitute with the same amount of goodness!??!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: I can't eat ANY fruit! HELP!!

Your body is probably used to eating carby fatty things in which the case is probably that you developed a taste for ONLY those foods.
I would slowly wean myself off of your regular diet and slowly replace it with fruits and stuff. It seems as though your overwhelming yourself.
Try some V8, stir fries, becasue stir fries could give you lots of veggies.
You mean to tell me you don't like the tase of ANY fruit!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

Gimme_It HB User

Thanks for the advice,
no i dont like any of them! I can drink pure juices, if theyre smooth, but i cant stand the feel of fruit when i bite into it, everyone just says "its only water", and im like exactly! watery, crunchy slop ... its just awful, to me lol. im really stuck. im gonna have to start on it anyway, so thanks.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

My mom's the same as you- she doesn't like to eat fruit because of the texture, not the taste. Maybe this is you? I kind of understand how she feels because I don't like beans- too mushy inside- and I can only eat crisp apples; if they're mushy, I don't care for them. If it's the texture you don't like, I'd suggest oranges or berries. The only thing about oranges is that you have to swallow them pretty quickly after you chew them, or you'll just be left with the lifeless, chewy skin... I learned this when I was little- once the juice was out, the rest tasted horrible. The thing about berries is the seeds. If you don't like seeds, you might have a problem here, too, but strawberries are just so good, that you can ignore the seeds! Yum! I could eat strawberries every single day of my life! I wouldn't recommend bananas right away because they do have a certain texture that some people can't stand. I don't really know what you mean about the watery taste. The only fruit that I can think of that tastes like water is melons, and perhaps apples. For vegetables, I'd suggest celery. Even though, by itself, it is just like water, if you put peanut butter (or cream cheese if you prefer) on it, it's really good! I'm kind of a health food nerd, though. I'm the type of person who'll go to an amusement park and get a couple cups of strawberries while everyone else gets cheese fries... You don't like potatoes or corn? I'm surprised. I'm not a big vegetable fan myself because it seems that they don't have any taste unless you put something on them to give them flavor, and that defeats the purpose, except for celery, of course! That's why I like fruit because it tastes good by itself. I never understand why people put sugar or milk on fruit because it tastes fine by itself! LOL! Good luck!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-29-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme_It
OK, Iv just turned 18, and I WANT to start eating healthily, but everytime I try fruit, salad or veg, it makes we want to gip!
I have never liked it, but it looks so nice, all those colours, I just want it! I went out the other night and bought loads of fruit, sat down and tried them ALL - apples, grapes, watermelons, oranges, bananas, kiwi, pineapple!! Why can't I eat them!!!!

The only bit of salad I like is a slice of lettuce on a sandwich (if its hidden and cant taste it!) and I only like peas and carrots from the veggie selection! I really dont know what to do... Im sick of eating unhealthy foods, and since I have a higher risk of getting diabetes and heart disease when Im older I really WANT to start!!

Please, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do to either MAKE me 'like' it, or offer a substitute with the same amount of goodness!??!
Well, I like fruit but sometimes I'm not in the mood for it so it seems "snacky" forms are more appetizing at those times like raisins or trail mix with dried fruits. Pie is also a good way to get fruit, but, more calories though. Sometimes cutting up fruit into a dish of something else (like cereal or yougart) can make it more fun.

Sometimes I also feel like skipping the whole "eating" process of fruit and just chop them up in the blender with some milk and protein powder, although tougher fruit like apple doesn't work out in this method; bannana, berries and soft fruits are very easily done this way.

Grab it and eat it isn't the only way to have fruit, although it's my favorite thing to do with apples in particular.

Last edited by Jennita; 08-05-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

netle HB User

Take some oatmeal and put it in the microwave, then add cut up granny smith apples and put back in the microwave. Drizzle with sugar free maple syrup. This is a very healthy and delicious snack.

You could also try something called fruit leather which is similiar to fruit rollups except it doesn't contain extra ingrediants or added sugar. Just fruit.

How about cherries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes and the like? Do the texture of these bother you as well? You could try cutting up the blueberries and strawberries and adding them to low-fat yogurt. You could also put fruit into a blender with ice and make a smoothie.

Last edited by Geek_Kittie; 08-30-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Closed Thread