It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

abandoned HB User
do i have to eat if i'm taking vitamins?

Ugh I have NO appetite whatsoever and it's such a pain and effort to make myself eat, but I've been loosing weight and my parents aren't the happiest about it. I'm taking freaking vitamins everyday so do I still have to eat?

Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: do i have to eat if i'm taking vitamins?

Yes, Yes, & Yes. The body needs calories. Calories from proteins, complex carbohydrates, etc. to function. When you do not eat, you lose fat, and muscle. It will affect every bodily function. It will affect your heart, brain, etc. Lack of food can lead to permanent damage and even death.
Vitamins are meant to support an unbalanced diet, not a substitute for food.
You should have a physical by your physician if you are feeling physically unwell. Or talk to a therapist. Your parents get angry or upset because they are afraid for you, and want you to be healthy and happy.
The longer you wait to get help, the worse you will feel. Please see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #3

theREDshoes HB User

Lose of appetite is most likely from low zinc levels. I have a zinc deficiency and went through this too. I eat non-protein food sources mostly when my appetite go off. Zinc is so important for digesting (animal) protein. But zinc does play a role in other areas with food, like with the sense of taste and smell.

If you are eating something, not protein foods, then you could try supplementing some zinc with the food. Another way to supplement zinc on an empty stomach is to take some colostrum. Colostrum is always supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and provides an easily absorbed for of zinc. Colostrum might help get your appetite back if you are not eating much at all.

The problem you can run into is that things will just get worse for you. I have been through this myself. I lost weight because I wasn't eating and became weak and had no energy. If it gets worse it can be hard then to eat healthy because you need zinc in order to digest (animal) protein and animal protein is the best source of zinc. So you could just spiral downhill if you don't remedy the situation.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

abandoned HB User

I've been in therapy for a while and... I'm not looking to foward to telling my therapist about this but I guess I will.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandoned
I've been in therapy for a while and... I'm not looking to foward to telling my therapist about this but I guess I will.
That's not a bad idea. And although it's hard to bear your soul to anyone, therapists aren't there to pass judgements on you. They're just there to help you figure out why you feel the way you do, and help you to find ways to overcome the problems. It takes a lot of courage to seek help, so you should be proud of yourself that you want to be the best you can be, and are willing to seek help to do that.
Wishing you the very best...
Hellas

Closed Thread