It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

balivion HB User
I crave unusual things!!!!! WHY??

First of all, I hope I got the right board. Second, no I am not pregnant, which makes this so much weirder to me. But here goes, hope ya'll dont think I am a freak. I have recently started craving very weird things. Like dirt, ice, tums, lol even my sons all natural teething tablets, because they taste like dirt smells and to go a little further into detail here, chalk. I dont crave paint or hair or anything like that, but I do the rest. I have read a few things about PICA, but is there some kind of nutritional deficiency that I could be having that makes me want to eat things that taste like the smell of wet dirt, or freezer burn? I get this overwhelming urge to just lick the inside of my freezer to see if it tastes like it smells some times.

WHY???? Help me figure this out please, or at least tell me I am not a freak....lol

Last edited by balivion; 09-01-2005 at 12:17 AM.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: I crave unusual things!!!!! WHY??

I read about this in Dear Abby. A lady ate her sons crayons. I'd talk to your doctor, sounds like a nutritional deficiency like PICA.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 09-01-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey balivion I remember you. Werent you the one on the gluten free diet?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
(female)

balivion HB User

I was at one point in time yes, but it was a while ago..dont remember if I posted on here about it or not, I am all over these boards...lol.
I just got a lot of blood work done yesterday to try and figure out why I am craving these weird things. Although I have yet to crave a crayon...lol..dont give my body any ideas haha. I have read a lot about PICA. But, it never says anywhere what the defficeincy is. Just that I may have a deficiencyand that I may need therapy to get over it. I am thinkin I dont need to go to a counselor because my body tells my mind I want something.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Hello,

If you crave dirt that means you probably have a roundworm infection. Maybe some other type of worm also. There is a drug called vermox that gets rid of this. I would discuss this with your doc...

Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

balivion HB User

ummm.. I hardly think I have a worm. My doctor didnt even suggest that that could be a possibility. I know I am lacking something in my diet, food to say the least, but, what exact nutritional element, makes you crave wierd things like this? That is what I am trying to find out if any one knows.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Trust me on this one, rule out a roundworm infection, or some other type. It's a true sign if you crave dirt..Your doc's not aware cuz he doesn't know..There not educated in these things. Find a lab that tests for this, if your doc offers drugs, don't take them unless they are for this type of infection. Your doc probably offered an anti-depressant of some kind..Look it up on the internet..

Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balivion
First of all, I hope I got the right board. Second, no I am not pregnant, which makes this so much weirder to me. But here goes, hope ya'll dont think I am a freak. I have recently started craving very weird things. Like dirt, ice, tums, lol even my sons all natural teething tablets, because they taste like dirt smells and to go a little further into detail here, chalk. I dont crave paint or hair or anything like that, but I do the rest. I have read a few things about PICA, but is there some kind of nutritional deficiency that I could be having that makes me want to eat things that taste like the smell of wet dirt, or freezer burn? I get this overwhelming urge to just lick the inside of my freezer to see if it tastes like it smells some times.

WHY???? Help me figure this out please, or at least tell me I am not a freak....lol
balivion,

no, you're not a freak. Eating dirt is pretty common in small children, and also in adults in many societies throughout the world. Scientists call it geophagy, so if you want a fancy word use that. The name "pica" comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird that is famous for eating anything and everything.

We like to think that we civilized people eat only clean food, but we all still consume air-, water-, and foodborne dirt via contaminated food, soiled hands, and inhaled dust.

There's still lots of debate about what people's bodies are "looking for" when they crave dirt. Some people just like the texture of stuff in their mouths. In societies that regularly eat clays, it is proposed that people are boosting their immune systems. In western societies, it is proposed that they may have nutritional deficiencies, such as iron or zinc.

I would suggest that you get some blood tests for nutritional deficiencies, particularly iron, zinc, and calcium (tums is used by lots of people to boost their calcium intake). If the blood tests come back normal, then you may just be on a texture "kick".

Contamination of soils by industrial wastes (especially lead) or human pollutants can be a danger, and, yes, worms. In the United States, the most common parasitic infection associated with geophagy is toxocariasis, most often caused by the worm Toxocara canis. The most common route of infection is ingestion of soil contaminated with dog or cat feces.

"If pica is a lifestyle choice that does not harm the individual, and if it is not part of an underlying eating disorder, it can go untreated, but care should be taken to protect against toxic substances (such as lead in paint and plaster chips). The person must be alert for symptoms (pain, lack of bowel movements, abdominal bloat and distention) that suggest the substance has formed an indigestible mass that has blocked the intestines. If such is the case, immediate medical attention is necessary."

I found lots of info by typing pica dirt into my search engine.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

--Rheanna

Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
(female)

joniann HB User

sounds like an iron defiency

Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
(female)

balivion HB User

No, my doctor has not offered me anything, including the results to my blood tests. I did get questioned about why/when i crave dirt. Because I do have an eating disorder as well. I am actually flippin out cuz she is wanting to put me in the hospital, says it goes along with my eating disorder, however, I have eaten more in the past month that I have in a long long time. It very well may go along with my eating disorder, I just was wondering if there was a nutritional imbalance that could cause it as well.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

People that have iron deficiency anemia will crave wierd things....like eating dirt, ice, wallpaper paste.....

I also have read that people with low ferritin stores lose their hair.

Have you had bloodwork done?
I used to have an eating disorder. Don't anymore...for the past 21 years, ever since my oldest son was born. Hope you get yours under control. It is hard to stop, I know. But yes, it can cause a lot of health problems. You aren't getting what you need for body to function normally.

I don't know about roundworm infection, but internal parasites in my farm animals will produce anemia if they aren't dewormed regularly.
Are you around animals a lot...like dogs? Farm animals?
Some children have picked up roundworm infections from playing in sandboxes that weren't covered when not in use. Animals used sandbox to defecate in.
Also, unwashed veggies can be a source of infection as farm workers don't always use the port a potties ( sometimes there aren't any).

Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

I'm never eating again!

Last edited by thomas3000; 09-08-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

If she has anemia, the question is why? That's what I'm getting at..Parasites are very real and maybe a cause here. Your doc will look at you like your nuts if you tell him/her that. That's because there trained to treat symptoms...

Old 09-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
(female)

balivion HB User

Ok, so I am not anemic got my blood tests back today, nothing wrong with my thyroid, no other deficiencies in my blood. So, this is not making any sense to me, unless of course it goes along with my eating disorder, which I really hope it doesnt cuz then that means hospitalization

Old 09-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #15

Daphnee HB User

I went to school with a boy who used to eat ants, he said it gave him great energy and stamina. I doubt the ants were that nutritious but he liked them for what reason I will never know. It has to be some sort of lack of nutrition in the diet. I think a good multi-vitamin should help you in the long run.

Closed Thread