It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

genxsis HB User
A way to get ALL my nutrients?

I have an idea that comes from the fact that I'll be getting braces on my teeth which I've heard can make it pretty difficult to eat and therefore get proper nutrition all the time. So I came up with an idea:

I decided to buy a blender and pick out all the foods that are the highest in their class of nutrition. For vitamin A, I chose carrots, etc.

But does just throwing a whole bunch of super high nutrition foods into a blender and grinding them up into a big mush accomplish what is intended? I mean, is it possible that the different nutrients counteract each other when done in such high concentrations? I'm just wondering about this because it almost seems too easy (or good) to be true.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
(male)

genxsis HB User
Re: A way to get ALL my nutrients?

Ok, what I'm asking is: Is it possible to concentrate nutrients too much, to the point that they can become harmful rather than beneficial? I mean, otherwise it wouldn't be bad to overdose on vitamin supplements.

Is it that way with natural foods too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

genxsis,

It seems to me that the issue here is not whether normal amounts of foods are pureed or not -- old people and people without the ability to chew for themselves are fed that way all the time. The issue is how much food you are eating. Foods that are pureed into a liquid (and some of them need extra water added to make the machine work at its best) are going to be digested faster. The liquids will make you full, but you may find yourself getting hungry again faster. And if you get into the habit of pureeing fruits and veggies, and think "yum" this tastes great -- I'll just make some more of this to quench my thirst all day", you could wind up getting LOTS more vitamins and SUGAR and calories than you would if you were chewing everything.

I don't think that pureeing by itself is a problem, especially if you puree in a blender where you retain the fiber (a juicer often removes fiber). The problem is making sure that you eat reasonable meal-sized portions and keep track of how much you are eating.

--Rheanna

Old 12-19-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Generally, you can get all of the nutrients you need by eating a varied, balanced diet. You can also take a multivitamin if you are worried. But as for the veggies, you can always steam them and then eat them as usual. If you really like to blend them, there's no problem with that, and you aren't going to overdose on anything unless you put more into the blender than you would normally eat anyway. Overdosing on vitamins can occur when you eat massive amounts of a particular food (like pounds of carrots per day), or take way too many vitamins (which already have 100% of many nutrients anyway, so no need to take more than one a day... especially dangerous with iron and young children). But if you assemble a serving of veggies that you would normally eat raw and then blend them, it's no different than eating them the usual way.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
(male)

genxsis HB User

Thank you for your input. I was looking into what the very most nutritious foods are, and then wanted to assemble all of them to put in a blender so I could get as much as possible out of it. It doesn't sound like there's a real danger of hypervitaminosis or whatever, so I'll give it a try.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i have a couple of raw veg juices a day and one smoothie each day. don't worry about juicing VEGETABLES as they contain a fraction of the sugar of fruit. what you are asking about will actually do your body a huge, huge favour. its prettty hard on the digestive system to digest raw vegetables as it has to extract the nutrients from the fibres of the veg. by juicing the veg you remove the fibre and just leave the nutrients that the body can actually assimilate. 95% of the vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients, and enzymes are retained by this method and the body finds it very easy to digest this form of food. if you use a base of 50% raw carrot and apple juice (ratio of 2:1), with the juice of half a lemon, you then can add stronger tasting vegies (ones that are more nutrient dense but don't taste as good) to the rest of the juice (the other 50%), reap the benefits but have the whole thing taste nice (carrot juice is sweet, apple too (obviously!) and lemon cuts out any bitter tasting earthy veg tastes).
as for your fruit, make smoothies with it. as has been said, stripping the fibre for FRUIT will cause havoc with blood sugar levels due the high amounts of fructose in the juice. smoothie it and then you can add live yogurt too (great source of protein, friendly bacteria and calcium). most friuits work well but esp soft fruits.
don't worry about overdosing on nutrients. for a start most RDAs are too low anyway. they have ben established to PREVENT DEFICIENCY DISEASES, NOT TO NECESSARILY PROMOTE OPTIMUM HEALTH. the only nutrients to worry about are the fat soluble vitamins A and D and the mineral iron. vit A and D are mostly found in animal foods, with the potentially toxic form of vit A only found in animal foods (you won't be juicing up meat now will you?!) and vegies aren't as rich in iron, or the form as absorbable, as meat anyway so you'll unlikely to overdose on that either. the rest of the vits and minerals have safe upper limits much, much higher than the RDAs (esp the Bs and VitC), including the other minerals, eg. zinc has an RDA of 15mg but daily intakes of up to 200mg are safe. as long as you source your nutrients form food, rather than pills, and don't have about 10 juices a day, then you'll keep everything in balance (nature is clever like that, far more so than any pill company).
for an even further boost to your juices, add green powders to them such as spirulina or wheatgrass. they are very nutrient dense and contain about 65-70% of protein that is 95% useable (higher useability then eggs!). use a tea spoon in each smoothie/ juice. also aloe vera juice is a good bet. it is also high in nutrients, esp calcium and bet carotene but is also very good at strengthening the digestive tract and is good for a whole host of ailments. usew half a cap full with each smoothis/ juice.
and put a late minute christmas present on your list: ask for Jason Vale's book- Ulitimate Fast Food, Discover The power Of Raw Juice. it delves inbto more detail about the benefits of raw juice/ smoothies, but more importantly gives an A-Z of all fruit and veg suitable for juicing/ smothieing and says what nutrients they're rich in.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 12-22-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
(male)

genxsis HB User

I guess I'll have to get me that juicer! It's hard to imagine though that the body has a harder time digesting food in its raw state, but I guess it makes sense.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxsis
I guess I'll have to get me that juicer! It's hard to imagine though that the body has a harder time digesting food in its raw state, but I guess it makes sense.
in an ideal world where we all ate raw food after weaning, raw food as nature intended it would be the obvious choice. but because after weaning the majority of us have eaten diets that are less than perfect and containd mostly cooked foods our bodies are not really equipped to deal with tha much raw food due our digestive systems being weakend by a diet of junk. furthermore, juicing allows a large quantity of raw veg to be consumed in one go. could you really imagine yourself eating 5 raw carrots in one go? juicing allows you do that, well drink them anyway! and because you're taking the strain out of the digestive process by removing the difficult to digest raw fibres, your deemed weak digestive system is able to digest, and thus assimilate the nutrients, from the raw vegetables. cooking usually makes the digestive process easier, but unlike cooking jucing leaves the full spectrum of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and enzymes intact. fantastic!

alex.

Closed Thread