It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Sayer Ji HB User
Splenda is A Poisonous Substance

Technically in the same family as DDT and Chloriform, known carcinogens, chlorinated sugar is an organochloride...very nasty.....totally inappropriate for consumption. In trials in an animal model sucralose was shown to cause inflammed liver and kidneys, drastic reduction in the size of the thymus gland (the major immune gland of the endocrine system), aborted pregnancies, and various other disturbing and serious effects. Check outREMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 02-07-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: do not post websites or search instructions

Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User
Re: Splenda is A Poisonous Substance

Can you tell me where that study is located? What journal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Sayer Ji HB User

First, there have been no long-term human toxicity studies on sucralose until after the FDA approved sucralose for human consumption. What's that all about?

Lord GH, Newberne PM. Renal mineralization -- a ubiquitous lesion in chronic rat studies. Food Chem Toxicol 1990 Jun;28:449-55.

Concerns have also been raised about the effect of Sucralose on the thymus gland, a gland that is important to the immune system. Significant thymus shrinkage was found in several rat studies. The following, from the NICNAS (part of the Australian government), discusses the absorption of Sucralose and its effect on the Thymus glands of rats:

"When administered orally, between 11-27% of Sucralose is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract in male humans. The remaining sucralose is excreted in feces. Following gastrointestinal absorption, between 20-30% of the sucralose is broken down into two metabolites. The remaining sucralose is excreted in urine.

The immunotoxicity of Sucralose was assessed in groups of Sprague-Dawley rats (13/sex/group) dosed by gavage with 0-3000 mg/kg bw/day for 28 days. A significant decrease in mean thymus weight was noted in males dosed with 3000 mg/kg bw/day. The NOEL for immunological endpoints was determined to be 750 mg/kg bw/day (USFDA 1998).

In a two generation reproductive toxicity study, groups of 60 Sprague-Dawley CD rats (30/sex) were dosed with 0, 0.3, 1, and 3% Sucralose in the diet for 10 weeks prior to breeding and throughout two successive generations. A significant decrease in thymic weight of 40% was detected in both generations at the 3% dose level." Moreover, the rats so fed were only 7-20% underweight vs the average for the control group.

In this particular study rats who were severely starved to the point of 30% weight loss, but not fed Sucralose, only had their thymus shrink by an average of 7%. Versus the 40% average thymus shrinkage for the rats that were fed 3% sucralose. This is very troubling to some people, because the thymus gland is the organ that matures T-Cells in the body.

It is important to know that conclusive results can never be drawn for toxicology studies that are carried out on animals. They can only be used as a rule of thumb, or a general guideline, due to the extreme differences between test animals, and humans. A very good example of this is the toxicity of chocolate when fed to small animals.
[edit]

Summary of studies

* [1] - NICNAS-The Australian Government regulator of industrial chemicals' PDF

Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Hey thanks for that post man. Thats some good info, I will definitely see what I can dig up on this new sweetner.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User

Just splenda aren't all artifical sweetenrs bad for you? I was told that your body doesn't know what to do with artifical sweethers, our bodies don't push this substance into our cells like normal sugar is pushed thru the absorption of food.

I only use sugar, or honey, or maple syrup- bcause they are a natural sweetner. No diet sodas, no no sugar things because there is this thing called High frustose syrup that is bad for you also, it is a man made sweetner, and once again not a natural sweetner so your body doesn't know what to do with it.

What do you think?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Yeah, I stay clear of high fructose corn syrup, and regluar corn syrup as well. None of that stuff is good for you insulin response. I don't know about artifcal sweetners.......the research on it is sketchy, nothing really shows that it would be harmful, but I agree if its artifical then it just makes me leery

Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
(female)

omalll HB User

but its "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar"!
/sarcasm

i avoid artificial sweeteners at all costs. Who KNOWS what sorts of things they'll find out about it in 20 years. If I eat sugar I know the worst it'll do is give me a cavity.
not just splenda, but aspartame breaks down into methanol (wood alcohol) and formic acid and formaldahyde once it reaches body temperature. Yikes!!

Closed Thread