It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

wowzers HB User
sleep and nutrition linked?

Iím not a morning person, but I work a normal 8-5 job. I actually get super tired in the mornings, regardless of how much sleep I got the night before. I usually go to work tired, my eyes hurt, etc, but I can still do my work. I eat lunch and then about half an hour later I get REALLY tired.

I will actually drift off to sleep for seconds I get so tired after I eat sometimes (that usually goes with the more I eat, the more tired I am). I did an inside sales phone job and I would actually fall asleep in the 20 seconds from the time I picked up the phone to the time someone would answer; and I did it on every call for an hour!

I really donít understand it, and would really like to prevent this from happening. In my job I canít afford to sleep on the job, literally! I actually only feel awake and energetic for about 2 hours out of my working day. And when I come home I feel awake even up until I fall asleep. I canít fall asleep usually for like 30 minutes or so.

Itís like my body clock is totally off and I constantly get tired at the totally wrong times of the day. The only time I actually get tired before I go to bed for the night is when I hang out with friends on the weekend till early in the morning. Then I usually make myself stay up until I canít possibly stay awake any longer. Those are the nights when I actually get in bed when I feel my body needs me to.

And by the way, I sleep approximately 7-8 hours every night, usually closer to 8.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: sleep and nutrition linked?

wowzers,

I don't know how to change one's natural biorythms. It may be that you are simply mis-matched to a day-shift job. It isn't a matter of getting tired at the "totally wrong times of the day" as you phrase it. Western society has decided that most people should be active and alert on the job or in school starting relatively early in the day. I always had difficulty paying attention at 7 or 8 in the morning, but by 10 I was alert and ready to work/learn. I rarely had a choice about these hours, however. By 9 pm, my brain has switched off and I no longer talk coherently or even CARE to pretend that I'm enjoying a social event. Society had deemed that social events happen after day-time work, when I'm no longer perky and functional, and this evening time is when many other people are perky and enjoying themselves. I don't get to regulate social hours, either.

Since it is possible to shift one's biorythms when one travels into other time-zones (it takes me at least a week because my body fights it desperately), it seems to me that you can shift your biorythms somewhat as well. This means forcing yourself to go to bed at an early hour whether you're sleepy or not, and forcing yourself to get up at and early hour whether you're rested or not. This will only work to a certain extent, however. If your body is tuned to give you energy at the end of your "day", then you will be able to shift this entire cycle by a little bit, but you'll still be a night-owl, no matter what.

There may be some nutritional reasons for not being perky during the day (that's why coffee and tea are so popular!!!), such as too much carbs, too low blood sugar, lack of vitamins/minerals, etc. Perhaps someone can make some suggestions here. Also, I find that I function better when I have regular exercise -- BUT!!! I still cannot be cheerful and perky before 9 in the morning or after 9 at night.

--Rheanna

Old 03-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
(male)

wowzers HB User

thanks for the response.

i used to work a 5pm-1am job during college. i generally went to bed around 4 and woke up around noon. i actually loved that schedule. pretty much most of college was spent staying up till the wee hours of the morning, but not really scheduled until that job.

anyway, it's not even been a full year since i did that job (and got out of college), so maybe my body just takes a while to adjust. it has been 7-8 months of getting up at 7am every morning and going to sleep around 11 though, so you would think my body would get used to it by now!

and i have no idea why i get so tired after lunch either.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Sounds to me like you could have an insulin resistance problem. Your diet is directly responsible for how effectively your body uses insulin. Your diet also effects your metabolism to a great degree. If your metabolism is functioning poorly energy levels will be low. The amount of water you consume is also very important to energy levels. What does your diet look like and do you exercise?

Last edited by MaxOT26; 03-02-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
(male)

wowzers HB User

i usually eat a bowl of cereal in the morning. it's generally not a health-nut cereal, but not trix or lucky charms either.

lunch is usually a sandwich (turkey/chicken/philly) or a bowl of soup. occassionally tv-dinners.

lunch can often be a sandwish (turkey again, different type of sandwich), sometimes frozen pizzas.

although i don't often make my own food, i don't go out to eat much either. my diet is pretty consistent.

i do some leg excercises in the mornings, and crunches, but otherwise, no excercise. i'm really tall and really thin, so i don't really have to excercise to look in shape.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-19-2006 at 11:35 PM. Reason: When replying to a post it's not always necessary to reply with a quote, especially when you are replying to the post directly before yours. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

you diet is nutrionally void - msg, refined flour, sugar - it's a recipe (pun intended) for chronic illness.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I would have to agree. Where's the fruit, veggies, protein, fat? Most of what you eat seems to be processed which plays havok on your insulin levels, digestive system and ultimatley your oveall all health. I am willing to bet if you change your eating habits your energy levels will change as well. You also should be drinking at least 64 oz of water a day. Everyday.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-19-2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: When replying to a post it's not always necessary to reply with a quote, especially when you are replying to the post directly before yours. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It could very well be that you are reacting to the "empty" carbs in your diet, as suggested by notpain and MaxOT26. You may need to eat more veggies and protein, and complex carbs only in small amounts. This will probably mean spending more time in the kitchen and packing your lunches -- you're not likely to find such choices in a sandwich shop or in the frozen food section of the grocery store.

--Rheanna

Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
(male)

wowzers HB User

what exact foods would ya'll recommend? i am a single guy, have no idea how to cook and have no one to teach me. i'd love to learn to make some things. occassionally i make hamburger helper, heh, although i know that isn't great for you.

i eat tomatoes and potatoes frequently!

Old 03-10-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wowzers,

Some people seem to think that potatoes are "evil" carbs, but I happen to think that they are great nutrition -- full of vitamins and fiber, especially if you include the skin. The problem here is that potatoes ARE carbs (even though good ones), and what we need to explore is how to eat smaller quantities of carbs and more veggies and protein.

Simple dinners might be:

Chop up a bunch of veggies (you can experiment here to see what you like) and stir-fry them with a bit of meat or a can of drained beans, add a dash of soy sauce or other seasoning, and serve over a fist-sized portion of carbs (pasta or rice or even 1 slice of bread).

Saute onions and chopped meat in a bit of oil in a pot, add broth or water with a teaspoon of broth powder, and add chopped veggies and a fist-sized amount of chopped potato or rice or pasta. Cook at low heat 15-20 minutes until everything is cooked through.

Canned tuna mixed with mayo and seasoning of your choice: chopped green onions, chopped dill pickle, chopped apple and celery, etc. can be served over lettuce with chopped bell pepper, cucumber, chilis, and packed for lunch at work/school).

Try making a sandwich with only 1 slice of bread -- spread with peanut butter, tuna and mayo, etc. Eat open-faced. If you're bringing your lunch, you can put the spread in a little plastic container and assemble at lunch time.

Mornings, have an egg or two. No cereal. A spoonful of peanut butter.

Have your fasting blood sugar checked. This will give you an indication of whether you are indeed becoming insulin-resistant.

Take a cooking class -- are there adult education classes in your area? You probably won't be the only guy in there, and if you are, well, the attention from the other ladies wouldn't hurt! :-)

Just some ideas to get you started. But I definitely would pursue getting your fasting blood sugar checked.

--Rheanna

Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers
i usually eat a bowl of cereal in the morning. it's generally not a health-nut cereal, but not trix or lucky charms either.

lunch is usually a sandwich (turkey/chicken/philly) or a bowl of soup. occassionally tv-dinners.

lunch can often be a sandwish (turkey again, different type of sandwich), sometimes frozen pizzas.

although i don't often make my own food, i don't go out to eat much either. my diet is pretty consistent.

i do some leg excercises in the mornings, and crunches, but otherwise, no excercise. i'm really tall and really thin, so i don't really have to excercise to look in shape.

Please that is real bad food there for you.... no wonder you are so tired.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

You could also try eating some yogurt with or without fruit.
In the afternoon have an apple with a little peanut butter as a snack.
You could change your breakfast cereal and have some Kellogs with milk and a fruit.
Try adding eggs and low fat cottage cheese to your diet.
For lunch you can keep your sandwich but add some baby carrots or celery sticks. Maybe you could have a small salad too.
Dinner you should try to experiment a little. Cooking is trial and error. I'm not saying burn your kitchen down! You could buy a George Foreman grill and buy some chicken breasts or some pork chops and grill them. You can vary your spices to your taste. One day you could put some BBQ sauce the other Lemon pepper or garlic. Most grocery stores cary marinated chicken which you could grill. You can make a couple of pieces in advance and have for the whole week. To your protein try adding some veggies. Either a salad or frozen veggies. And some carbs. Maybe some pasta (all you have to do is boil water with a little salt and add the pasta, cook for 8-10min).
There are some really easy cookbooks if you want to look around. If you don't have the time the best thing to do is just make a couple of dishes on the weekend and have them ready to grab when you get hungry.
I hope this helps!

Closed Thread