It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
Question How to find out your body fat???

I was wondering how to determine body fat. Is it the same as BMI??? I would like to find out what my body fat is. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
Re: How to find out your body fat???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfLight82
I was wondering how to determine body fat. Is it the same as BMI??? I would like to find out what my body fat is. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

BUMP!!! Is there any way that I could measure my body fat at home or do I need to go to a gym or something???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: How to find out your body fat???

AngelOfLight82,

I think the only practical thing you can do at home is the "pinch test" -- you pinch a fold of skin/flesh just above your waist and see how thick that is -- a caliper is more accurate than your fingers. I don't know what the measurements are supposed to mean -- the only number I seem to recall is that more than 1 inch (2-1/2 cm) is a bit chubby. But that really isn't very accurate because people put on weight in different places in their bodies -- some put more weight on below the waist and some concentrate above the waist. And healthwise, the fat that develops around the inner organs is more dangerous than the fat that we can see around our waists -- this isn't going to be visible with a pinch test!

There are weighing scales that are supposed to pass a harmless current through your bare feet and measure electrical resistance, and are supposed to tell via that resistance what percentage fat is in your body. I don't really think they are all that accurate, myself. Gyms will often have them. I don't know if you can buy one for your home.

The most accurate test is to be let down into a large container of water by a machine that is weighing you all the time. It notes how much you weigh above the water, then you let out your breath and it lowers you into the water and measures you there. Fat is supposed to weigh less than water or something, and anyway, the difference between what you weigh in air and what you weigh in water is pure fat -- that means you know exactly how much fat is in your body. They can then do simple arithmatic and figure out your fat percentage. I don't know where one would find such a facility -- certainly not at most gyms!

These are all the possibilities that I know of. Perhaps someone else knows of more. Perhaps you can do a search on the internet regarding "body fat percentage" or something like that.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread