It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
Question Can Low Electrolytes Cause Muscle Twitching & Jerking???

I have been experiencing a lot of muscle twitching & muscle jerking. It has actually gotten worse. I usually feel the muscle twitching all over my body lasting for a few seconds. My worst was in my right side of my back and it lasted for two days. My arms and legs/feet jerk some times too. I have been on a mission trying to figure out what may be causing this to happen. Itís not normal to be experience this. I have gotten some medical advice to get some blood work done. I was told to get a basic panel done. This test will show if anything like my calcium, potassium, sodium, etc is abnormal or not. I have a feeling that is may be caused by one of my electrolytes being out of whack. I was just wondering if anyone on this board may know what could be causing this to happen. Or perhaps someone on this board who is also experiencing the same symptoms could give me some advice. I do appreciate it and look forward to any posts.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Can Low Electrolytes Cause Muscle Twitching & Jerking???

Well if this was caused by low potassium levels then your heart would be faltering out so it appears that a possible neuro problem is at hand so you may want to schedual an appointment with a neurologist to examine your entire nervous system....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfLight82
I have been experiencing a lot of muscle twitching & muscle jerking. It has actually gotten worse. I usually feel the muscle twitching all over my body lasting for a few seconds. My worst was in my right side of my back and it lasted for two days. My arms and legs/feet jerk some times too. I have been on a mission trying to figure out what may be causing this to happen. Itís not normal to be experience this. I have gotten some medical advice to get some blood work done. I was told to get a basic panel done. This test will show if anything like my calcium, potassium, sodium, etc is abnormal or not. I have a feeling that is may be caused by one of my electrolytes being out of whack. I was just wondering if anyone on this board may know what could be causing this to happen. Or perhaps someone on this board who is also experiencing the same symptoms could give me some advice. I do appreciate it and look forward to any posts.

It could easily be low magnesium. Look up low magnesium and restless legs. You need to have an intracellular magnesium test for this. The serum blood test is not the right test becasuse magnesium is mainly intracellular. Also look up mildred seelig low magnesium and restless legs.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
(male)

UH-60 HB User

I've also read that an iron deficiency can cause this. I second the magnesium though. I had restless legs and went on a Cal/Mag blend. One each before bed cured the twitching. Be sure to get the calcium blend. Pure magnesium depletes calcium.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Magnesium should not deplete calcium. It should help assilimate calcium. You need to check the amount of elemental magnesium, instead of just the mg of magnesium. MagOx has one of the highest amounts of elemental magnesium. It is not prescription, but you have to ask for it behind the prescription counter.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-28-2006 at 03:01 AM. Reason: If you are replying to the post directly before yours, please do not quote the post. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Closed Thread