It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
lactose intolerant??

Lately I've been getting an upset stomach with certain dairy products. I can no longer drink skim milk, which I used to drink all the time (at least 3 glasses a day with no problems), and one day my stomach starting hurting SO bad. I'm okay with 2%, but even things with skim milk in it (like Slim Fast) makes my stomach act up. I also can't eat random other things, like certain cheeses. Lately my little cheese and cracker sandwiches are even bothering my stomach! I am able to eat yogurt, and ice cream is fine too.. but ice cream makes me burp !

Does anyone know why this can kind of happen out of nowhere? Can I be a little bit lactose intolerant? I'm thinking of buying some Lactaid pills and trying them out with some dairy and HOPEFULLy it will help. I love dairy products!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

nikib5 HB User
Re: lactose intolerant??

I found out I was lactose intolerant one day. It's like a light bulb went off in my head. I drank a glass of milk and bam, within 15 minutes, I had nausea, diarrhea and gas. I would try the lactaid and see if it makes any difference. I tried it and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. It probably depends how much is consumed.

I can do yogurt because it has the active cultures. The lactose is already broken down some.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #3

rachel18 HB User

Lactose is digested by the enzyme lactase. We stop producing this enzyme around the age of 3-5 depending on your race. After this occurs, everytime you ingest dairy products these enzymes are used up. If you have been drinking that much milk in the past then its highly likely that your enzymes have run out since we no longer produce them. The reason we stop producing the enzymes at around 3-5 is because we needed those enzymes to break down our mothers breast milk, we no longer need those enzymes past that age because we are no longer weaning. But instead alot of people choose to drink cows milk (we are the only animals that drink another animals milk). Cows milk is not designed for our bodies and can initiate a lot of problems. Do you have any hayfever/sinus porblems/ asthma/ezcema? These problems are often initiated by drinking a lot of milk. Also skim milk has much more lactose in it compared to just normal milk which is why you probably have been come lactose deficient quite quickly now.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thanks for all the great advice! I did have asthma as a child, but no longer have problems with it. I did drink milk ALL the time when I was younger, and now I mostly drink water. I'll go ahead and try the lactaid, stay away from skim (at least now I know why that happens!), and eat things like yogurt that won't bother me so much. Thanks a bunch!

Closed Thread