It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
(male)

R@mbo HB User
Could dosing off during the day be related to my nutrition?

Hi all.

REMOVED

I often find myself fighting off sleep when I am studying. Now I’ve noticed that this can happen on days when I’ve been jogging and possibly even the day after but never usually any other days after that.

I jog at 6.30 for 10 miles/1 and a half hours.

My nutrition consists of the following:

8.30/9.00 – Bowl of shredded wheat with a banana and semi skimmed milk or rolled oat cereal with dried fruit.

11.30/12.00 – Wholegrain sandwich with mackerel or sardines and a portion of assorted vegetables.

14.30/15.00 – Two portions of assorted vegetables and a portion of sugar free jelly.

17.30/18.00 – Portion of wholegrain pasta or bulgur wheat with tuna and garlic/onions/tomatoes and a portion of fruit.

I add olive oil to a lot of my food, drink a fair amount of water and tea and will usually have sometimes have another portion of sugar free jelly.

Could this problem actually be due to the fact that I am just tired and my body needs to recover?

Cheers.

Some have suggested that I may have an eating disorder but I disagree. I just don't think I am eating enough. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-28-2006 at 03:10 PM. Reason: discussions of other forums are neither necessary nor allowed

Old 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User
Re: Could dosing off during the day be related to my nutrition?

You diet look good on its face. You eat jelly with vegtables?? The obvious question is are you getting enough sleep. Not your opinion on if you are, but are you really 7 1/2 to 8 hours? Other things that can cause droziness would be vitamins deficancies(do you talk a multi), not enough water, or possible iron deficancies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOT26
You diet look good on its face. You eat jelly with vegtables?? The obvious question is are you getting enough sleep. Not your opinion on if you are, but are you really 7 1/2 to 8 hours? Other things that can cause droziness would be vitamins deficancies(do you talk a multi), not enough water, or possible iron deficancies.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I eat sugar free jelly as a kind of treat. I find that I can feel even more tired with more than 8 hours sleep so aim for about 7. I'm not sure about vitamin intake. I eat a mix of vegetables and fruit so I wouldn't of thought that this is a problem.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Unfortunately in today's world even if we eat a very balanced diet supplementation is still needed. For one, fruits and vegs just don't contain the same amount of nutritents that they did even just 100 years ago. Plus, you are exposed to hundreds of toxcins on a daily basis which greatly increases you bodies need for vitial nutritents.

Since your sleep seems to be ok and your fatigue is mainly around when you run my first thought would be that you are not hydrated enough when you run 10 miles. That is huge stress on the body and since you are running first thing in the morning it is almost certain your are dehydrated. Do everything your can to drink as much water as possible before you run. Ideally you should be drinking gatorade during your run, but if that is possible I would definitely down plenty of gatorade after your run. It does help your body rehydrate faster durning and after exercise. Try it out.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Thanks for your adivce. I did drink much more water last night and this morning pre and post run and I don't think I've been as fatigued. I'm also going to try eating a bit more by throwing in another meal.

What exactly is gatorade as I've never drank it before? Is it similar to lucosade? I am guessing that the carbs in the drink will be immediately used up by my body?

Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@mbo
Thanks for your adivce. I did drink much more water last night and this morning pre and post run and I don't think I've been as fatigued. I'm also going to try eating a bit more by throwing in another meal.

What exactly is gatorade as I've never drank it before? Is it similar to lucosade? I am guessing that the carbs in the drink will be immediately used up by my body?
Dude, You have never heard of Gatorade? Ya its got carbs, sodium, and potassium. It is research proven to rehydrate you faster durning and immediatley after exercise. It would be perfect for durning and after a ten mile run. You would probaly notice a different right away.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Quote:
Dude, You have never heard of Gatorade? Ya its got carbs, sodium, and potassium. It is research proven to rehydrate you faster durning and immediatley after exercise. It would be perfect for durning and after a ten mile run. You would probaly notice a different right away.
I've heard of it but just wasn't sure of its purpose. I take it that the carbs are all sugar then as it's fast release energy for the body?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

It is glucose. They have proven in research that drinking water mixed with glucose post-exercise will rehydrate and restore your blood sugar and electolytes, which are all kind of one and the samething, faster then water alone.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #9
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Quote:
It is glucose. They have proven in research that drinking water mixed with glucose post-exercise will rehydrate and restore your blood sugar and electolytes, which are all kind of one and the samething, faster then water alone.
I think I should try it out then. Isn't that stuff fizzy though? If I take it with me it will go flat will it not? Or I could just drink it straight after. Drink a bottle of that stuff straight after, have a shower and then eat my breakfast as normal. That should have a difference you think then?

Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Nope, no carbination. Definitely give it a try and see how you feel. Yeah try out the post exercise plan and see if it makes a difference

Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Quote:
Nope, no carbination. Definitely give it a try and see how you feel. Yeah try out the post exercise plan and see if it makes a difference
I had a thought whilst watching some football over the weekend. In the tunnel, I noticed a lot of the players drinking this sort of drink pre game. Therefore, it got me thinking that I would benefit more from drinking before and after a jog, rather than just post.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
I had a thought whilst watching some football over the weekend. In the tunnel, I noticed a lot of the players drinking this sort of drink pre game. Therefore, it got me thinking that I would benefit more from drinking before and after a jog, rather than just post.
Before, during, and after, all helps performance. They were probably drinking gatorade.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
(female)

kindredspirit2 HB User

Another reason for dosing off when you sit down is that the arteries in your neck may be getting clogged up. Your doctor should be able to tell you very easily if that is the case with you.

I hope this helps you.

kindredspirit2

Old 05-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
(male)

R@mbo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredspirit2
Another reason for dosing off when you sit down is that the arteries in your neck may be getting clogged up. Your doctor should be able to tell you very easily if that is the case with you.

I hope this helps you.

kindredspirit2
That seems quite interesting. It's not really as bad anymore. Actually it hasn't happened for a while now. Maybe the extra meal sorted it out.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
8.30/9.00 – Bowl of shredded wheat with a banana and semi skimmed milk or rolled oat cereal with dried fruit.

11.30/12.00 – Wholegrain sandwich with mackerel or sardines and a portion of assorted vegetables.

14.30/15.00 – Two portions of assorted vegetables and a portion of sugar free jelly.

17.30/18.00 – Portion of wholegrain pasta or bulgur wheat with tuna and garlic/onions/tomatoes and a portion of fruit.
My 2 cents - too much wheat and/or too many carbohydrates and not enough protein.

Closed Thread