It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #1

tiredofhate` HB User
More Calicium

Iíve been trying to get more calcium in my diet lately. Iíve had back pain for a long time and along with seeing my chiropractor, doing yoga and stretching, I want to do everything I can to make sure that I have healthy bones. In one of the other messages I read, they were saying that caffeine can deplete the calcium in your body. That also concerns me since I drink tons of coffee. Recently I found these new calciyum jell-o pudding cups at my work. They taste really great and theyíre fortified with extra calcium. Another cool thing is that Iím trying to watch my sugar intake as well, so Iíve been eating those sugar-free ones. Has anyone else discovered these yet?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: More Calicium

I've seen them but I'm not into artificial sugar. There are a lot of fruit juices nowadays that are fortified w/calcium & provide as much per serving as a glass of milk.

I do like one calcium supplement powder, called "Cooking with Calcium" by Nature's Life. You can add it to beverages & baking, even sauces.

Caffeine, sodium, sugar, and protein, to excess, can all wash calcium out of your body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
I've seen them but I'm not into artificial sugar. There are a lot of fruit juices nowadays that are fortified w/calcium & provide as much per serving as a glass of milk.

I do like one calcium supplement powder, called "Cooking with Calcium" by Nature's Life. You can add it to beverages & baking, even sauces.

Caffeine, sodium, sugar, and protein, to excess, can all wash calcium out of your body.
Agree with all except protein. High protein diets have been shown in research to support bone mineral density, not what is often thought that it depletes it.

For back help I would supplement with CLA and Glucosamine and Chondriton in conjunction with each other. This is very good for rebuilding and repairing cartilage and connective tissue and reduceing inflamation. Taking them together seems to create a very good synergy that would benefical for your goals.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #4

tiredofhate` HB User

Thanks you guys for the great tips! I will definitely check those out. I think I will continue eating the puddings, too. Iíve been trying to lose weight and they make a great quick snack. However, I just realized that I give my dog glucosamine and chondriton supplements all the time. I never thought I could be taking the same thing! Lol. Sounds like it could really help though. Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofhate`
Thanks you guys for the great tips! I will definitely check those out. I think I will continue eating the puddings, too. Iíve been trying to lose weight and they make a great quick snack. However, I just realized that I give my dog glucosamine and chondriton supplements all the time. I never thought I could be taking the same thing! Lol. Sounds like it could really help though. Thanks again!
You need to be careful about all the calcium you are taking. Taking calcium is of no benefit unless you are taking magnesium with it. For osteoporosis, (and any time you take calcium) it should be at least in a 2 to 1 ration with magnesium. (calcium to mag)..even more magnesium is bettter. Doctors are causing people a lot of problems by not telling them to take magnesium.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

tiredofhate,

Vitamin D is also needed to utilize the calcium in the foods we eat.

--Rheanna

Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

zinc (shell fish, pumpkin/ sunflower seeds, meat) and boron (root veg) are also two big bone minerals. phosphorus too. but don't worry on focusing on getting this one as its found very abundantly in foods- and anyone who eats meat at all will get plenty. most people will get more phophorus than calcium and magnesium without realising it. so focus on the others to ensure you maintain a healthy balance for them (this is as imporatnt as actually getting sufficient amounts of all of the bone minerals).

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 05-26-2006 at 04:12 AM.

Closed Thread