It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

blured HB User
I can't eat vegetables

I can't eat vegetables, fruits which arent liquidised, and many, many other things. Can't may seem like an exaggeration, but for me it's a real fear. I have a nasty gag reflex.
My mum said I was around 2 when I stopped eating - Back then I lived off toast and cashew nuts, and since my diet hasn't boardened alot (I more or less live off dairy products, nuts, potatoes and bread) I've seen various health professionals about this, and though they agreed my diet is very limited, it is more or less balanced, and for a teenager quite healthy, despite the lack of vegetables.
My problem is that it's so humiliating! It means I can't go out to decent restaurants without stress, and having to shyly ask if they serve fries. When I tell people I can see they think I'm idiotic, and I'm a very self-consious person as it is..
Any suggestions would be welcome

Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: I can't eat vegetables

Well if you can eat fries, those are vegetables. Try branching out, try frying other vegetables...maybe sweet potatoes, maybe carrots. Try roasting the potatoes. Try at home just small servings, maybe with a sauce you like. Try with catsup or cheese sauce. Best of luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

Indee HB User

Could you drink smoothies? There is one way to get your fruits in.

You could also try drinking V8 or some form of vegetable drink.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Do you like things like pasta with sauce on top? try putting a few different vegetables in a blender, and then cooking it with the sauce, you won't notice they're in there! but you'll be getting the benefits of their nutrients. this works with all sorts of things - soups, casseroles, smoothies, home made hummus etc

I understand that it must be a problem for you, but I truly believe that eating well is all about training yourself to liking something slowly. There are things I used to hate, which I now eat quite happily, by just introducing them every so often, or finiding ways of cooking that made them taste good.

we're all human, and if we were living as cave men with scarce food then I doubt anyone would be choosy about what they eat. we are brought up in a time when there is so much choice that people can develop such aversions to foods like vegetables simply because there are other choices they can have instead. vegetables should be a key part of everyones diet from early childhood, in my opinion, and should be made a habit and a part of daily routine. food aversions are often only in the mind, and if you work at it you can train yourself to a more healthy way of eating

Last edited by Ding; 11-12-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
(male)

wewereright1054 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blured
I can't eat vegetables, fruits which arent liquidised, and many, many other things. Can't may seem like an exaggeration, but for me it's a real fear. I have a nasty gag reflex.
My mum said I was around 2 when I stopped eating - Back then I lived off toast and cashew nuts, and since my diet hasn't boardened alot (I more or less live off dairy products, nuts, potatoes and bread) I've seen various health professionals about this, and though they agreed my diet is very limited, it is more or less balanced, and for a teenager quite healthy, despite the lack of vegetables.
My problem is that it's so humiliating! It means I can't go out to decent restaurants without stress, and having to shyly ask if they serve fries. When I tell people I can see they think I'm idiotic, and I'm a very self-consious person as it is..
Any suggestions would be welcome
dude I know how you feel, my family tells me to suck it up. I am thinking that there might be a nerve problem with the gag reflex. Think about somthing unseenly disgusting and how that would make someone else gag. Yea, you can force yourself to eat it, but it still makes you sick. What if it is there that the problem is.
Any thoughts?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I only like mushrooms and the occasional salad. I like fruit better can't stand vegetables

Closed Thread