It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

tye03 HB User
Exclamation Milk = YUCK!!

I know milk is important for you, but I can't stand milk by itself. I'm 21 and I've been like this for as long as I can remember. If I have any at all, it has to be in cereal and even then I don't always finish it. I try (once in a great blue moon) to drink it by itself, but I always want to throw-up and the taste/texture combo just disgusting. I don't completely think it's lactose intolerance because I can eat cheese and other dairy products and the milk hasn't really made me sick yet.. but I feel like I want to throw up, so to me it's the same.

Is this a disorder? Is there a way to drink milk with powders (or something) that aren't nasty (usually I don't like powders either for the taste or the grit -can you tell I'm a texture person?)? Are there good calcium substitutes besides regular pills (I can't swallow pills well at all either, that almost makes me sick because I have gag reflex)? Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User
Re: Milk = YUCK!!

Hi

Well I am the complete opposite to you - I love milk. I drink upto 4 pints a day, on its own. Sorry I hope I haven't made you throw

Well you could try it with milkshake, or even a weak milky coffee is quite nice.

But if you really can't stand it, you can buy calcium tablets from your chemist.

Hope that has given you some ideas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

tye03,

Good for you for thinking of your bones now, while you're young. But drinking milk is not the only way to get calcium in the diet. If you really can't stand drinking it, then I give you permission to not ever have to drink it again.

Other sources of calcium are cheeses (which you say that you do like), sesame seeds, and dark green leafy vegetables, like spinach, turnip greens, and mustard greens. There are some brands of orange juice that are fortified with calcium. You might be able to find chewable tablets that contain calcium, as brook65 suggests, so that you don't have to swallow whole pills.

--Rheanna

Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

You can do just fine without milk . . . in fact many people think it is better not to drink commercial pasteurized milk!

Do you eat any dairy? Yogurt? Cheese? That would do it.

Even without dairy, many veggies, seeds, nuts have significant amounts of calcium.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tye,

It IS lactose intolerance. Cheese has no lactose left in it.

I share your aversion to milk and I can count on my 20 digits the number of times I have downed a glass of milk STRAIGHT!
As a kid, I NEVER had milk and during my 20's and 30's I'd get cramps and diarrhea from it. I CAN drink a little now but never have it except in my weekly protein shake breakfast. Sometimes that shake gives me intant diarrhea, sometimes not.

I drink daily kefir which has all the lactose converted to tart lactic acid and I LOVE cheese (overlove it actually.)

Simple answer: if you hate milk don't drink it. Listen to your body, not the doofus with the white lip in the commercial. After all cow's milk was created to be the ideal food for calves, so unless you start mooing you can probably give it a wide berth.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
(male)

Saverain HB User

Well I think it may be lactose or the casine protein which is used to make glue which is in high amounts in cow milk. Goats milk is better.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
(female)

claire67 HB User

Until I was in my early twenties, I thought milk was really gross as well. I never cared for cheese, but did love ice cream!

Turns out I'm lactose intolerant as well. I also discovered what was gross to me was the taste of the milk fat. I do okay with occasional lactose-free skim milk.
If you're an orange juice drinker, there are also juice brands that have calcium & vitamin D. So, yes there are many ways to get calcium, and I'm sure you'll find a way that does not totally gross you out!

Claire

Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Tye,

I can't swallow pills either (have a damaged throat) so when I developed lactose intolerance I tried to find a solution. Since I eat a vegetarian diet I looked at the amount of calcium I could get from sources other than milk. The figures just didn't add up to the total calcium needed for a woman in her 60's.

Nesquik works for me. I just noticed that it now has added calcium & other vitamins etc. I use Carnation instant nonfat powered milk to make a 16 oz. hot drink. I like the light creamy taste. Then I just sip it until it is gone. Add a few marshmellows (mini) & you have a sweet treat. I often see articles on Lactose Intolerance saying that choc. powder helps with the stomach issues. Although you can get calcium from pills etc, you never know what other nutrients you are missing that haven't been discovered yet.
I also have cheese & yogurt to add more calcium. Fam

Closed Thread