It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
(female)

~Sunshine~ HB User
Do I have a problem?

I'm [a teenager]... I'm 4'10 and I only weigh 34 kilos, with a BMI of around 15.3

Is this too thin? I am constantly asked if I have an eating disorder and it really gets me down, cause I'm pretty sure I havent got one.
I do eat plenty I think but usually I feel like I want to eat alot, and sometimes I dont want to eat at all. I also feel sick whenever I drink milk, and sometimes with other dairy products to, but milk mainly. Whenever I do drink it, I dont drink it straight, and I always feel as if I'm going to throw it up again. Apparentely according to my parents I have never ever liked milk, and would not drink it when I was younger. I also eat very little bread, it also makes me feel rather ill. Is this just me being fussy or might there be something wrong with me? I eat plenty of vegetables and rarely have take away food.

Lately I have been feeling very tired, but I've been going to bed at the same time as I normally do, and getting up at the same time. I do excerise for about an hour a day but I have not increased the amount of excersise I do so I dont think this is making me tired.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-30-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: please do not post your age outside the teen forums, as per the posting rules

Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Do I have a problem?

Hello, that is a very low BMI you have there.

I would go see your doc for a checkup, just to make sure there are no medical disorders that are stopping you from putting on weight.

You might also have a dairy intolerance that makes you feel sick when you eat or drink dairy.

Ask your doc about that too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Do I have a problem?

Sunshine-
Yes, generally a BMI of <18 suggests you are underweight. However, maybe that is normal for you. Do you "take after" your mom or dad or a grandparent. A tendency to be lean, may just run in your family.

I think it's more important to ask yourself:
-Do you have a healthy appetite?
-Do you feel good in general?
-Do you have enough energy to get through your day?
I think it would be a good idea also, to have a checkup just to make sure. Express your concerns to the Dr. and see what they recommend.

It definitely sounds like you have some type of reaction or allergy to the products in milk. There are alot of wonderful alternatives to milk: soy, almond or even rice milk. I have used both soy and almond and they taste very good. You might want to try soy milk, as they come in several flavors. I would get one with a little more fat (5gm/sving) since you are underwt.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Leea

Closed Thread