It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
Question Is this too much B12 in a day?

I was diagnosed b12 deficient a few months ago. I got four shots in four weeks, then was only taking it orally until I had another level taken four weeks later. That level was around 500. According to the nurse at my primary doctor's office they don't do injections if you're over 400. So I have continued taking it orally, 1000mcgs every morning. I just started taking another 1000mcg's at night because I was starting to feel tired and a little tingly again. Not as bad as before but I didn't think I was geting enough. Is this too much to take every day? It does seem to be helping although it's only been three days.

Also, I had posted once before about how important it is to get to the root cause of the deficiency. My primary said there's no need to but I am thinking about calling the gastro doc anyway. Thoughts?

Last edited by ljturner; 08-29-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Is this too much B12 in a day?

Quote:
Also, I had posted once before about how important it is to get to the root cause of the deficiency. My primary said there's no need to but I am thinking about calling the gastro doc anyway. Thoughts?
ljturner,

Of course it's very important to find out the cause. Vitamin B12 deficiency causes all sorts of physical problems, sometimes permant. You can't keep taking more and more huge quantities of vitamins for the rest of your life without a good reason.

Some thoughts. (I'm certainly no expert and this is just to get the discussion started)

Too much Vitamin B1 can create a deficit of B12.

Celiac (gluten intolerance) can damage the intestines and make it difficult for your body to absorb nutrients. In fact, if you have damaged intestines from celiac, then it may be that taking vitamin b12 orally won't help, unless it really is being absorbed in the mouth (see how ignorant I am?) It's something to look into.

There are of course all sorts of other reasons why someone may become so deficient in a particular nutrient that they have to take massive dosages to get back on track. Unless you find out the underlying reason, there's no way of knowing whether you've "cured" the situation by taking high dosages now -- there's no way of knowing if the deficiency will return or not.

My suggestion is to insist (loudly) on being referred to a gastro doc, or if your insurance allows it, making an appointment yourself.

I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Let us know what you find out.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for the reply. After I posted I went ahead and called the gastro doc yesterday and spoke to the nurse. They gave me an appointment (not until October!) and I am going to push for an endoscopy because I want to know if there is a malabsorption issue. They tested for celiac markers a few years ago which was negative, but I know that may not be a definitive answer.

I read a book about this ("Could it be b12?") and it also seems to point to the need to get to the cause of the deficiency. I think my primary figured why bother, just treat and it will get better. But because I have had so many other gastro issues I feel like I want a better answer.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

ljturner,

Good for you for pursuing this! The human body has an amazing capacity for keeping itself healthy -- in spite of our eating habits and our infrequent exercise and the vast sea of chemicals in our environment. But when things do get unbalanced, there's always a reason. Sometimes doctors forget this, and look only at the symptoms. Your blood test says that your B12 numbers are up, so therefore we've solved the problem.

If you are going to be tested for celiac, then it's important that you don't change your diet before the test. A few months of a gluten-free diet can allow your body to heal the intestines, and any anti-bodies will disappear from your blood, so that a blood test will also not show anything. After the tests at the gastro, if they show negative to celiac, you might still find it interesting to try a gluten free diet to see if it makes any difference. My tests came back negative because it took so long to get anyone to believe that it was appropriate to test for celiac in the first place ("if you had celiac, you'd have diahrrea several times a day!"). My acid indigestion was so bad that I was desperate to find out the offending food -- so I narrowed it down to gluten and worked on how to have a gluten-free diet. By the time I found someone who was willing to give me the tests, several months had gone by, and my body was feeling much better by that time. Negative tests for celiac, so I'm not officially diagnosed. But I'm 100% positive that I react in some way to gluten, so I'm on a gluten-free diet for life.

I don't mean to imply that you have celiac. But in order to test for it, you have to continue to eat gluten.

Please report back what you find at the gastro doc. We can all learn from each other.

--Rheanna

Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

thanks, I will be trying to get them to do the endoscopy when I go. I don't have some of the classic symptoms but I have quite a few that show up on the lists I have seen (no diahrrea, like yourself). But lately my indigestion has gotten much worse, even waking me up at night, so I think they'll do the test.

Closed Thread